Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f80/)
-   -   Battery/Charging issues AGAIN!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f80/battery-charging-issues-again-1387.html)

Harrison@Stage6 07-13-2009 01:56 PM

Battery/Charging issues AGAIN!!

Welp, here's my 3rd or 4th post on this. This is really starting to piss me off. I went to BlownWJ's house this Sat. for a little Birthday Cookout and Housewarming party. I got there and about an hour or so later I went to fire up the truck for Chris' dad to hear the cam....... dead battery! WTF?!?! This battery is 11 months old. I was thinking the alternator is finally dead. Just got home from the dealership a bit ago and.... alternator is fine and so is the battery. I'm just so lost and clueless on this issue. I had the same issue last year and replaced the battery against the dealers advice and it's been fine since until now.

Just went to start the Jeep after sitting for about 30-45 mins. and it didn't want to start. I finally forced it to start by holding the key over. It did. Put my volt meter on the battery it was 12.4X....... 15 minutes later it's at 10.6X. Just walked outside now and it's still at 10.62. I've got one of the big volt meters with more stuff on it than I know what to do with. Is there a way to find out how much of a draw is being put on the battery? Maybe one of the settings for Ohm Load or something? This is really pissing me off to no end! I hate having to drive around with damn jumper cables in my truck not knowing if it'll start or whatnot. Can anyone give me some advice.
And yes people, I did unhook my amp fuse to the amps to see if that was the case when I got home. All of the system is off. No power light on anything.

Scottina06 07-13-2009 04:50 PM

Re: Battery/Charging issues AGAIN!!

something is draining you somewhere....gotta be a bare wire or something

Harrison@Stage6 07-13-2009 05:45 PM

I think I'm going to go to the dealership tomorrow and throw the battery through their windows. I went to the stereo shop to make an appointment for Wed. for them to go through my system. On the way home, I stopped to get a drink. Get back into my truck.... DEAD! Went I went to the stereo shop I left it running. How is it that I can let the truck run for 1 hour and it doesn't charge the battery. Well, let me say that the battery won't TAKE a charge. I had to get jumped off.

I get home, which is right around the corner from the store, and check the batt with it running. 14.3X like it should be. Shut off the truck, 12.4X, go to start it and it turns over once then dies. Check the batt. again, and it's 10.6!! I guess it's got a few dead cells in it. This truck is starting to piss me off!

mjl2610 07-13-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryBallZ (Post 32798)
I think I'm going to go to the dealership tomorrow and throw the battery through their windows. I went to the stereo shop to make an appointment for Wed. for them to go through my system. On the way home, I stopped to get a drink. Get back into my truck.... DEAD! Went I went to the stereo shop I left it running. How is it that I can let the truck run for 1 hour and it doesn't charge the battery. Well, let me say that the battery won't TAKE a charge. I had to get jumped off.

I get home, which is right around the corner from the store, and check the batt with it running. 14.3X like it should be. Shut off the truck, 12.4X, go to start it and it turns over once then dies. Check the batt. again, and it's 10.6!! I guess it's got a few dead cells in it. This truck is starting to piss me off!

DOOOOOO ITTTTTT!!! :D hhahah. Ok but really, first see if any terminals are loose. I had the same exact problem on my previous car, but in my case it wasnt a leak somewhere it happend to be a loose terminal. Easy overlook thinking that the shop would check. But im sure you have checked this already. Then see if the dealer will give you a new battery under the warranty for the battery. If that dont work then you possibly have a leak somewhere which may be like findin a needle in a haystack. :(

Marlon_JB2 07-13-2009 08:20 PM

Just get a new battery. I don't understand how hard that is.

It's evident that yours is broken. Fix it. Doesn't matter how old it is. 11 months or 1 months, your Jeep has over 50k miles on it. Time for a new battery.

Harrison@Stage6 07-14-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 (Post 32890)
Just get a new battery. I don't understand how hard that is.

It's evident that yours is broken. Fix it. Doesn't matter how old it is. 11 months or 1 months, your Jeep has over 50k miles on it. Time for a new battery.

What does it matter if my Jeep has over 50K on it. This battery was put in at 38K last August....... because of the same issue. Something is my truck is killing batteries pretty damn fast. This will be my 3rd battery in 53K miles. This battery is a dealer item only and expensive. They better cover it is all I'm saying. There's a little more to it than "your battery is broken". I want to know what it is.

B.P.O.D 07-14-2009 10:00 AM

sounds like your battery is getting drawn from somewhere. might be ur amp if u have an aftermarket stereo. see what the stereo place says. sucks bro. hope u get it resolved

blown-wk 07-14-2009 10:05 AM

I say go back and see Christy at jeep and let it sit for a little until it wont start. Then they have to fix it since they have already made a note in their system about the problem. They told me even if your warranty is up and there have been notes about concurrent problems they will still fix them out of warranty.

Robert Palmer 07-14-2009 10:21 AM

I had this same exact problem with my Midnight Blue WJ. It ended up being the starter and the alternator and they replaced the battery.

Harrison@Stage6 07-14-2009 10:42 AM

Just talked with Christy. I gotta head up there around 1:30. I told her what happend yesterday after I left. She's hooking me up with a new batt.:D

B.P.O.D 07-14-2009 11:02 AM

awesome!

Harrison@Stage6 07-14-2009 04:56 PM

I'm back from the dealership. They gave me another battery. YEAH! They said they couldn't give me one yesterday b/c it checked out fine. They have to send the receipt of the little tester with the battery. If it doesn't say fail, then no new battery.

Well, I pulled in and left it running. I told Christy to puller in. She forgot and shut it off when she pulled into the bay. Welp, of course it wouldn't start. Sope, new battery for me! All is good in my world. Still going to go by the stereo shop tomorrow and get everything checked out though. The dealer did say that there was no load being pulled from the battery. Don't know why they didn't tell me that yesterday!!