Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Tire Pressure Momitoring System? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/tire-pressure-momitoring-system-13880.html)

JohnS 10-12-2010 08:01 AM

Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

Can someone confirm whether or not the 2011 GC Overland comes with tire pressure sensors in the wheels?

Thanks.

Red G8R 10-12-2010 08:24 AM

Re: Tire Pressure Momitoring System?

I can only speak for the Overland. It does have direct TPMS, ie. individual sensors per wheel attached to the valve stems. Previously one could tell by metal valve stems but now senors can be with both metal or rubber valve stems.
On the Overlands, individual tire pressures can be displayed. I suspect it's the same for all models but only the Overland offers the individual display.

ostroveni 10-12-2010 08:38 AM

The Firestone recall in the United States in the late 1990s which was attributed to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following a tire tread-separation, pushed the Clinton administration to publish the TREAD Act. This act mandated the use of a suitable TPM technology in order to alert drivers of a severe under-inflation condition of their tires. This act affects all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds) sold after September 1, 2007.

I guess it is law to have TPMS ...

paui4m 10-12-2010 08:44 AM

My Limited also allows you to view individual tire pressure in the EVIC.

Not sure if this extends to the Laredo as well or not.

JohnS 10-12-2010 10:14 AM

Thanks all!

bozer 10-12-2010 10:27 AM

Does the Overland had run flats?

I presume it does, since it does not come with a spare tire as far as I know.

I had run flats on my Lexus, and while they are great especially if you get a flat and you're in a rush (you can ride home on it), they are very expensive to replace

JoeSchmoe007 10-12-2010 10:43 AM

I think Laredo has TPMS as a part of X package

GlowingGhoul 10-12-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bozer (Post 283333)
Does the Overland had run flats?

I presume it does, since it does not come with a spare tire as far as I know.

I had run flats on my Lexus, and while they are great especially if you get a flat and you're in a rush (you can ride home on it), they are very expensive to replace

No, the Overland doesn't have run flats, and it has a full sized spare.

CHAIR O'KEY 10-12-2010 11:13 AM

The Overland has a spare under the floor in the cargo area. It does not come with run flats either.

muzichio 10-12-2010 04:39 PM

My laredo X has the TPMS and shows each tire's pressure in the EVIC. Came in handy a few weeks ago when I got a flat. It chimed as an alert, and the EVIC automatically went to the display that shows the four tires and showed with a flashing number the problem side (which was dropping in PSI alarmingly quick...) Nice thing was it gave me time to plan where to pull over to change the tire before it went completely flat. Great feature.

ryorde 10-12-2010 10:42 PM

TPMS is now a requirement for all new vehicles per DOT law.