Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   weird sound when turning (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/weird-sound-when-turning-13907.html)

skinny 10-12-2010 04:40 PM

weird sound when turning

Just noticed a sound coming from the front when I make turns. It kind of sounds like when the track control kicks in or metal clanging. I looked around underneath but didn't see anything. Doesn't do it any other time. Looks like 500 miles and the first trip to the dealer on Saturday.

jimoverland 10-12-2010 05:16 PM

Re: weird sound when turning

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinny (Post 283634)
Just noticed a sound coming from the front when I make turns. It kind of sounds like when the track control kicks in or metal clanging. I looked around underneath but didn't see anything. Doesn't do it any other time. Looks like 500 miles and the first trip to the dealer on Saturday.

Do you have the 4x4? Do you hear the sound at full lock only?

skinny 10-12-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimoverland (Post 283658)
Do you have the 4x4? Do you hear the sound at full lock only?

Yeah it's 4x4. I have it set on automatic.

jimoverland 10-13-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinny (Post 283660)
Yeah it's 4x4. I have it set on automatic.

If it occurs at full lock only, I had the same issue on my WK. The service department repeatedly told me it was a normal part of the 4x4 and nothing to worry about. It's probably worth having your service department take a look, though.

bpmcgee 10-13-2010 02:24 PM

If they say it's a normal part of 4x4, have them prove it to you on a new vehicle!!

Too many times service guys will say "it's perfectly normal" when it's anything but!

whatevrworks 10-13-2010 02:57 PM

Is it a clicking sound when you turn in either direction? It's called a turn signal. Perfectly normal! :). Sorry couldnt resist.

skinny 10-13-2010 04:34 PM

It only happens when I'm making right hand turns at speeds around 15mph. Doesn't do it when just turning the wheel or when I take off turning.

I don't think I got the turn signal option on mine :p

goforjeep 10-13-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinny (Post 284359)
It only happens when I'm making right hand turns at speeds around 15mph. Doesn't do it when just turning the wheel or when I take off turning.

I don't think I got the turn signal option on mine :p

Your cabin is too quiet, get some music on:D

Steve52 10-13-2010 04:50 PM

I am getting all kinds of strange sounds from mine, but I am not saying there is anything wrong with it. When the doors lock at about 15 mph it sounds like someone has thrown a rock against the door. My old jeep sounded more like a regular door lock. When I turn I sometimes get a bump or something that does not sound or feel right. I hear a clicking or something like a speedometer cable clicking sometimes while I am driving slow. Once I pulled into my garage and turned the motor off and sat there and played with the radio, and over the next few minutes it heard all kinds of motors and valves opening and closing with the motor turned off.

GlowingGhoul 10-13-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve52 (Post 284372)
I am getting all kinds of strange sounds from mine, but I am not saying there is anything wrong with it. When the doors lock at about 15 mph it sounds like someone has thrown a rock against the door. My old jeep sounded more like a regular door lock. When I turn I sometimes get a bump or something that does not sound or feel right. I hear a clicking or something like a speedometer cable clicking sometimes while I am driving slow. Once I pulled into my garage and turned the motor off and sat there and played with the radio, and over the next few minutes it heard all kinds of motors and valves opening and closing with the motor turned off.

The valve noises are normal for vacuum operated valves (the suction bleeds away and the valves return to their spring loaded position).

The rock noises are other, lesser, SUV owners venting their frustration.

skinny 10-13-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goforjeep (Post 284370)
Your cabin is too quiet, get some music on:D

That's when I notice the sound, changing sources. Too many dang options to listen to music made me hear strange things :D

Oh and my mirrors shake when I play music too loud :thumbsup: