Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Wavetrac Rear Diff. for Jeeps?!?!?!

38K views 184 replies 28 participants last post by  robjeep 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of you know Sarge(Sgt.Stanko). He's got one quick Jeep for sure. This is posted over on the Connection and I thought I'd post this here too to see if any of you guys are interested. I've been waiting for someone to hook our asses up!! Finally it could be here...... TRACTION!!!

It is my understanding that Wavetrac is currently ready to develope and fabricate another great option for those of us that can not afford $5,000 for a Ford "8.8 or Ford"9 limited slip or posi-traction rear end differential. Who needs all the whining, noise and oil leaking experienced with the Ford 8.8??? As you know once we increase power, traction becomes a problem. The DANA 44 is a great rear differential and has been around in the Jeep forever. Our DANA44 is a metric version and the slight change to the ring and pinion gives us absolutely no option for upgrade compared to the standard Dana44 and the Super44. The non metric version of course has a tremendous option capability but finally the metric version is finally getting attention!

The option of installing a Ford rear end means a drive shaft, transfer of disc brake systems and of course the cost of the unit plus installation of the unit. We have recently seen the success of JDOC using the Wavetrac unit in his Western Differential Ford 9".

George/Muellge (thanks George) shipped (at his costs) his Jeep rear end to Wavetrac in order to spark their interest to support our community. The end result is Wavetac is ready to fabricate a unit to fit our factory Dana44, however Wavetrac is not willing to begin fabrication unless they get a absolute minimum order. They state that since the Jeep SRT8 is a low production vehicle they are reluctant to jump in and completely absorb the development/fabrication costs. They stated that the costs for the unit will be $1,100. which falls in line with the Wavetrac systems for the BMW 3&5 Series, Mercedes AMG Series, Chrysler LX&LY, Porsche, Honda, Ford and GM. Obviously high horsepower/torque is not an issue!

If we can get ten(10) members to commit to $500.00 we can finally have a limited slip unit that fits our metric DANA44!! This is a no brainer......$1,100 vs $5,000!! This is FAR more exciting and performance useful than a Mopar TCM, Throttle body or cat back!! This will allow us to FINALLY get the power to the ground without spending $5,000!!!

Also you can install 4:11 gears from Richmond.....disconnect the driveshaft and now pick up 2-3/10's.

What do you say??? Any interest to get this thing finally built for our community???

Some features to consider!

• Innovative:
Patent pending Wavetrac® design automatically improves grip in low traction conditions. This feature is truly innovative and unlike any other torque biasing diff design.

• Superior Materials:
9310 steel gears run in case-hardened billet steel bodies. ARP® fasteners used throughout.

• Maintenance Free:
As supplied new, the Wavetrac® differential will perform a lifetime of service without maintenance or rebuilds.

• Customizable:
If desired, you can alter the diff’s behavior to suit your needs using optional components.

• Limited LIFETIME Warranty:
All Wavetrac® differentials include a transferable, Limited Lifetime Warranty

1. Muellge (PAID)
2. GripGrip (PAID)
3. HarrisonZ (PAID)
4. JohnsonSRT (PAID)
5. PhilthyPhil (PAID)
6. robjeep (PAID)
7. rmon (PAID)
8. Mondo (Trying to Pay)
9. retro-king (waiting to pay)
10. Colt (Paid)
11. hemituner
12. SrtJake

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks harrison.....the beauty is this will work in all Dana44/metric rear ends including the Commander, Grand Cherokee and other model equipped with the metric Dana 44.

Lets get this thing built!!

#3 · (Edited)
I'm in also. I've talked to George(Muellge) many times about it. There was a thread in the GB area already started about this. I know SRTJake(98spyder) also wanted in on it.

Here is the link to the other thread:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=10623

#4 ·
Thanks for the PM Phil..I appreciate it bro. I got a text about the thread on the connection.I am in,100%. Just a few questions,what is the lead time,once we get the list to 10?
What is the expected labor charge to put it In?
Will it do good a job as The full rear that others have spent 5k on?

#5 ·
I'm interested but tapped for cash with the current mods getting installed on the rig, wedding, cruise, etc.

I would also like to know how long after the 10 are in will it take to complete and have in our hands? I'm sure they are a stand up company but after the coilover group buy shenanigans I would want every detail I could get.

I do remember George emailing me about this back in the summer.

#15 ·
I'm right there with you... I think this would be a must for me, as I plan on adding more power and whatnot in the future. Money now is tight being in school full time...
Trying to see what I can do.

#6 · (Edited)
You can thank Sarge and Harrison for getting the ball "rerolling." Wavetrac has had my full rear for about 5 months now. They say they can do it and have been waiting for interest and frankly, about $5k to get it going. Eddie Gregory has contacted Dana in the recent past on terms and they're working on finalizing group buy stuff. Nothing much changed from what we posted earlier just some momentum and interest, it would appear.

Ed said to post up 504 712-5512 and contact them at tuning@southernhotrod.com. I think we have about 8 or so in, and I'll spring for the last two to make it ten if necessary. Probably a good two months before one is working, and add 30 days or so for production run, but it sure beats 5k for a full rear. What Jdoc did in his is pretty good indication of what you can get out of one of these torque biasing units in a jeep (1.49:eek: as if 1.75s aren't good enough.:D)

Dunno on the price for pulling and replacing the center section. Need a liquid seal and maybe some shims, depending on fitment. probably a good time to get a PML Cover while you're at it. Glad to see some interest in this.

#8 ·
Who did you send your money to?

#12 ·
Yeah I'm in. When does he need the deposit by?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
How hard is the install? Do you need special tools and shims and spacers or does it just drop right in?

#20 · (Edited)
If they can make it exactly like the carrier that is in there from the factory (in terms of overall size, and location of the ring gear mounting flange in relation to where the bearings ride) it will "drop" right in without shimming beyond the shims that are already in there or anything.....once you swap the ring gear over and put the carrier bearings on it. Not sure if there is a tone ring on the Jeeps or not as I haven't looked in the case or available info on that.

Of course you'd want to verify mesh pattern, backlash, etc...

Shimming isn't hard if need be as you don't have to mess with the pinion at all.

#16 ·
Start dealing drugs Johnny...... they practially sell themselves and there's great money in it. Buwahaha. You're in a college town! ;)

#17 ·
We've got 9..... need just 1 more!! Come on all you snow birds. This thing will help out greatly in the snow! Both wheels pulling in the rear is better than one wheel!!

#23 ·
My deposit has been paid.

#21 ·
Does anyone know the paypal address for Southern Hotrod? I was going to send my deposit in that way as a gift, so there wouldn't be any fees on either end.

#31 ·
I don't know how much of a problem this presents,but ordering some needed parts today took me down to where I can't send the deposit right now like I thought.
I can definitely send it on Nov 1st,but like I said don't know how much that messes things up.If that is too long,I guess I need to come off the list :(

#41 ·
I think you need to be added to the list then. You aren't on the list as of now.

#36 ·
So is it 500 now then send the other 600 when ready to ship? Or 1100 up front? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.