Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   SUV of the Year? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/suv-of-the-year-13937.html)

Scottina06 10-13-2010 12:00 PM

SUV of the Year?

http://wot.motortrend.com/6694309/au...kee/index.html

amarkmtu 10-13-2010 12:05 PM

Re: SUV of the Year?

I should totally take the title!

WK ALL THE WAY:arms::arms::arms:

moosehead 10-13-2010 12:08 PM

NFB, no brainer

Red G8R 10-13-2010 12:11 PM

I think it has a good chance, but, by the end of the year, new SUVs will include WK2, Mercedes ML, Ford Explorer, VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne and those are just from the mid-size category.
There will be many contenders.

moosehead 10-13-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 284130)
I think it has a good chance, but, by the end of the year, new SUVs will include WK2, Mercedes ML, Ford Explorer, VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne and those are just from the mid-size category.
There will be many contenders.

Good points Red, no doubt it will be crowded. But a couple of counters:

1) All those vehicles except perhaps Explorer, are as much as $20-$30k beyond the JGC pricing.

2) I came out of prior Audi's, Touareg, MDX, and tested the rest, but this JGC won me over, somewhat easily. This point alone was enough.

3) Emotional advantage from comeback victory goes to Jeep, with tailwinds from needed economic recovery, trade imbalance, and patriotism. Yea, I said it.

Sure, I'm a fanboy now, but it was earned by Jeep.

bpmcgee 10-13-2010 12:30 PM

Come on, guys. All we have to do is count the advertisements in the magazine. We all know Motortrend sells these awards like a bake sale.

B

Technosavant 10-13-2010 01:42 PM

Even if it wins, MT's awards can't be taken seriously.

Remember some of the winners of their car of the year.

2002- Ford Thunderbird
1995- Chrysler Cirrus
1991- Chevrolet Caprice
1988- Pontiac Grand Am

And so on. You can't convince me that those were the most worthy vehicles in those years, even if they were newer than some that were FAR superior. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then, but the MT Whatever of the Year is a joke.

Red G8R 10-13-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 284143)
Good points Red, no doubt it will be crowded. But a couple of counters:

1) All those vehicles except perhaps Explorer, are as much as $20-$30k beyond the JGC pricing.

2) I came out of prior Audi's, Touareg, MDX, and tested the rest, but this JGC won me over, somewhat easily. This point alone was enough.

3) Emotional advantage from comeback victory goes to Jeep, with tailwinds from needed economic recovery, trade imbalance, and patriotism. Yea, I said it.

Sure, I'm a fanboy now, but it was earned by Jeep.

I agree fully but the award is not based on price/value alone. If I'm correct, last year winner was Subaru Outback and the year before was Subaru Forrester. That was a first for one manufacturer to win two consecutive years.
As I said, we have a chance but who knows.

drummer 10-13-2010 03:08 PM

Wasn't the ZJ the MT truck of the year when it was introduced in 93? Maybe the same fate awaits the WK2 . . .

moosehead 10-13-2010 03:21 PM

I got a dollar says WK2 takes pole position for 2011 SUV in either CD or MT. All takers need to man up within this thread by this Friday midnight..

I fully recognize the conflicts of advertising $ and editorial copy, and all other subjective input and bs..

bpmcgee 10-13-2010 03:24 PM

Moose -- I think you're saying that you believe Chrysler is going to pony up and buy the award.

I agree with you. I can't see how they could let anyone else win it.

Jim Hef 10-13-2010 04:10 PM

It has an excellent chance of beating out those others, especially if 'value' is taken into consideration. I did a build thing on the Ford website, and the new Explorer was quite a bit more costly, and it tops out at the V6, with no V8 this year. Even the Edge costs as much as the Grand if you equip it equally, and we know that's not an SUV. Benz, VW, Porsche have little chance of coming close to mid $40s for a complete product like the WK2 in the mid sized bracket.