Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   430N Navigation Is Strange (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/430n-navigation-is-strange-13956.html)

Remleym 10-13-2010 05:39 PM

430N Navigation Is Strange

I don't know if anyone else has spent any quality time being guided around by the 430N nav or not, but I have and I'm getting concerned. I also have a Garmin nuvi 660 which I keep updated faithfully. I trust the nuvi but I'm starting not to trust the 430N Garmin nav. I have done some driving with both navs showing me the way and the older nuvi seems to follow very logical routing (I have both set identically for faster times - not shorter distance, and no avoidances). The new 430N has done some really strange things... like telling me to take an exit from a highway and then immediately to take the entrance back onto the highway. The older nuvi has never told me to do anything so foolish. Also, we took the new Jeep on a 300 mile trip last weekend to visit a relative. The new 430N directed us off the main road we've always used and led us down some two lane back roads. I thought maybe since it is a newer unit that it knew of some better routing for us. Not so. Ended up taking a lot longer than that trip had ever taken us before. I sure hope there will be a way to update not only the map base but also the software that runs the Garmin routing portion of the 430N! For now, I'm keeping the old nuvi handy and checking route planning with both nav systems before heading out.

javisan23 08-13-2011 01:18 AM

Re: 430N Navigation Is Strange

I'm also having this problem. The garmin ALWAYS avoids highways which in my trips would almost always be the faster AND the shortest route. Again, I have no avoidances set and have tried both "shortest route" and "shortest time".

What can I do to make the garmin use the highways?

TTUMBIO2010 08-13-2011 08:08 AM

My 430N does the same thing!! It once had me take an exit off a highway, take the turnabout to go under the highway heading the opposite direction, get on the highway, take the next exit.......to the turnabout again! Then put me back on the highway and continued me past the first exit!

I know there is no hope bringing it up at the dealer, just they would just look at you like it was a user error, then when you push them to observe....the Nav would prob act just fine!

I usually run a 2nd Nav program on my iPhone as backup when I hint something screwy on the Garmin.

mjw930 08-13-2011 09:36 AM

I used mine on a 2500 mile trip this spring and didn't notice those types of peculiarities but I also didn't bring my Nuvi along to compare. I do miss the ability to set a highway preference and since most of the time when I'm on a long trip I have a 20' trailer behind me I would like the ability to select truck friendly routes. I know they have the technology, it's just not part of the software package they sold to Chrysler.

I wonder if the Harmon system is any better?

ColdCase 08-13-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 464990)

I wonder if the Harmon system is any better?

Short answer is no. Many features are lacking like loading POIs, also does strange things sometimes.. but it does have dead reckoning and you can input new destinations while driving via voice commands.

mjw930 08-14-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 464997)
Short answer is no. Many features are lacking like loading POIs, also does strange things sometimes.. but it does have dead reckoning and you can input new destinations while driving via voice commands.

I didn't think so but I figured I'd ask. I have only had one other vehicle with in dash nav and it was the horrid CD based PAG system in my '04 Cayenne. Up till now I always felt there was no way to justify the ridiculous expense when the on dash units are 1/10th the price. I do like the convenience of having it available any time I want it but if it hadn't been standard I still don't think I could justify the cost. I do think the Garmin based unit is the better of the two if for no other reason than a more universal interface and the ability to use standard POI's.

Remleym 08-14-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 465380)
I didn't think so but I figured I'd ask. I have only had one other vehicle with in dash nav and it was the horrid CD based PAG system in my '04 Cayenne. Up till now I always felt there was no way to justify the ridiculous expense when the on dash units are 1/10th the price. I do like the convenience of having it available any time I want it but if it hadn't been standard I still don't think I could justify the cost. I do think the Garmin based unit is the better of the two if for no other reason than a more universal interface and the ability to use standard POI's.

One of the neat things with the 430N is that you can do route planning. Put in your start and end points and then you can add points along the way to force the nav to take the route you want. You can save it so you can always use this route for future trips and you can go back and edit - add or remove points - to tailor the route until you get it the way you like.

ColdCase 08-14-2011 03:37 PM

You can plan routes with the 730N too. I just have not figured out how to skip a stop. If the 430N operates the same as the other Garmins I have, you just drive by and pretty quick the Garmin figures out you have moved on. Will the 430N accept routes you planned out on the PC and loaded on a USB stick?

Remleym 08-15-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 465639)
You can plan routes with the 730N too. I just have not figured out how to skip a stop. If the 430N operates the same as the other Garmins I have, you just drive by and pretty quick the Garmin figures out you have moved on. Will the 430N accept routes you planned out on the PC and loaded on a USB stick?

I've not been able to figure out any way to load routes via USB stick. If anyone has come up with a process to do route planning on a computer and then download into the 430N, please let us know.

usrdaba 08-28-2011 09:21 PM

Have you checked out navteq.com for your device's update status?

Remleym 08-29-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usrdaba (Post 474687)
Have you checked out navteq.com for your device's update status?

I just checked the Navteq site and this is what it says about our 430N device...

"RHB System Owners
The map in your navigation system is up to date. An updated version is scheduled in the Fall of 2011. Please check back for more information."

This is certainly interesting info and I wonder how the update will work. Free update (unlikely). Update via Jeep service (possibly). Update via Garmin (possibly).
In any case this would be an update to the base map - not the software that uses the base map to come up with routing. That would be a software update from Garmin and I can't find any info indicating that's on the horizon.

jerryw1000 09-08-2011 09:44 PM

I was on the jeep.com site tonight logged on the the owners section. I was actually looking for info on buying a front license plate bracket with no luck. On the bottom of right hand side of the screen was a link to Navteq that said "Update your vehicle's navigation". I clicked on it the Navteq site and it now says there is a map update for the the RHB unit. They want $149 for it and there was no info on the date of the maps.

I too have experienced the weird routing by the 430CN unit as compared to my Garmin Nuvi 1450 portable unit. On a long rural GA highway yesterday it routed me off on to three small farm to market roads to take me around a community (Mitchell, GA) that wasn't 3 blocks long and didn't even have a stoplight or stop sign. I know it added an few extra minutes and miles just to go around that little wide spot in the road. The only two settings I can find are Shortest and Fastest and both settings seem to do the same weird routing.

Anyway, I was wondering of anyone has purchased the Navteq update for the 430CN RHB and if so, what was the date on the maps and was there an update to the software included.