Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Battery Light... Need Help Fast (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/battery-light-need-help-fast-13968.html)

1 GRAND 10-14-2010 07:49 AM

Battery Light... Need Help Fast

The last two mornings on my way to work and on my way home my battery light has come on, on my Jeep. When it comes on the heated seats power shuts down along with the driving lights in the bumper. I have a newer battery in the Jeep, so I am wondering if it may be the alternator.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on? Thanks for any help!

amarkmtu 10-14-2010 08:47 AM

Re: Battery Light... Need Help Fast

It could be the alternator... I had a similar problem in an older vehicle of mine.

You can always take your WK to AutoZone and they'll do a free test of your alternator. That is what I would do first. It's pretty fast and a good quick check.

scjeep4.7HO 10-14-2010 08:58 AM

Have it checked for free and they can also pull trouble codes that may be present for free also. It may just be a loose connection. usually if the altenator goes bad it will run until your battery gets to low to support all the electronics.

1 GRAND 10-14-2010 09:58 AM

I have a tuner for the Jeep. I went out a second ago and run the code. It is PO63A. Generator Voltage Sens Circuit. Not sure what that equals out to be though.

Asativa 10-14-2010 01:50 PM

Sounds like the alternator

maxst2 10-14-2010 02:19 PM

+1 on alt dying.

Check the connections first though. You might have some corrosion thats fouled the wiring.

mjl2610 11-06-2010 08:07 PM

Had the same issue with the Jeep about 2 years ago. New alternator solved that problem. Still have the original battery though, had that thing tested at autozone and they said it was still good.

robpp 11-06-2010 10:10 PM

from he manual:

When Monitored:
The engine running. The engine speed greater than 1157 RPM.

Set Condition:
The PCM recognizes the alternator output voltage is less than the Battery feed circuit voltage. One trip failure. The Generator light will illuminate. The fault will be checked again on the next key cycle.

Possible Causes

EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE (A803) GENERATOR SENSE CIRCUIT

(A803) GENERATOR SENSE CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

GENERATOR

PCM

LTrainGC 11-06-2010 10:57 PM

If you have a voltmeter, with your Jeep running see what kind of voltage you are getting at the battery - it should be 14.4 +/- .5 volts.

If it's putting out significantly less than that, then you're alt isn't producing electricity properly.

As suggested before, I'd stop by an autozone/advance real quick and get it tested.