Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   ZJ stuck in 4 part time (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/zj-stuck-in-4-part-time-14016.html)

DavidESchiller 10-15-2010 08:48 PM

ZJ stuck in 4 part time

so my friend's '98 ZJ I6 was stuck in 4 part-time and we had to drive it around for like 20 minutes to get it to go back into 2hi. we could move the shifter into the 2hi position but the front wheels would still hop when he tried to turn, and we could hear the TC whining. finally after a while (and driving in reverse for 200 ft. :D ) it just popped back into 2hi and turned fine and everything. we're thinking that we need to adjust the shift linkage, could someone walk us through doing this? pictures would be awesome but any help at all would be appreciated.

if you think the problem could be something else, feel free to chime in with that as well. thank you!

Knightrider03m 10-15-2010 11:15 PM

Re: ZJ stuck in 4 part time

How's your tires? Does he have one or more tires that as more wear than the others?

DavidESchiller 10-16-2010 11:07 AM

that's definitely a possibility. the first time this happened, I'm not sure how his tires were looking but when it happened the second time last night he actually had the spare tire on it because he got a flat.

Knightrider03m 10-16-2010 12:16 PM

That maybe his problem. Was his spare a donut or full sized?

DavidESchiller 10-16-2010 12:42 PM

it was full-sized. but he just bought the rig from a pretty shady dealership and I wouldn't be surprised at all to find mis-matched tires. I'll check into it if he ever gets his ass out of bed and then report back.

Knightrider03m 10-16-2010 03:14 PM

It seams like its the tire sizes on the Jeep. When I had my ZJ there was a point that I was very broke (the story of my life LOL) but I needed tires so I brought two new rear tires and was going to buy two new front ones before winter, well since it was summer I never put my truck in 4WD but one day I was doing some off roading. The car shifted into 4wd great but when I needed my 2wd, I would have to stop the car, then floor it just so I can take it out of 4wd. I talked to a buddy of mine and he told me to get new front tires, I did and then I could take my car in and out of 4wd like I used to.

cheapjeep 10-19-2010 01:55 PM

Another thing too if its a 242 you shouldnt use part time unless it is in mud or snow or it will bind up tight.If you use it make sure you shift to full time or 2wd before you hit solid ground cause part time locks up the center diff causing the bind

Knightrider03m 10-19-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 287267)
Another thing too if its a 242 you shouldnt use part time unless it is in mud or snow or it will bind up tight.If you use it make sure you shift to full time or 2wd before you hit solid ground cause part time locks up the center diff causing the bind

He can shift it on solid ground..... I think its just the tires.

Tubbs540 10-20-2010 08:54 AM

But the thing is... Is even when I'm shifting through part time to get to full time it just gets stuck in part time. I can't get it into full time. It just gets stuck in part time every time. 4-low works... But I can't seem to get out of part time everytime I touch the 4ed shifter. This is my jeep btw. Help :( because I would really like to get my 4wd working before winter gets here and not have to worry about it getting stuck in part time and me not be able to drive anywhere because I can't turn.

cheapjeep 10-20-2010 11:33 AM

That's kinda weird cause you have to go through full time to get to 4lo. Don't go by that stupid display thing on the zj cause I never seen 1 that worked right.If the lever is in full time your in full time unless the linkage is out of adjustment which is another common issue with these.As Knightrider said tire size is important so check all of your tires. If they're all good I'd say its
a linkage issue especially if the previous owner didn't use 4wd much.My zj when I first got it you practically had to kick it out
of 4wd and the only problem was the linkage needed cleaned up and adjusted.
Good luck,
Dave

Knightrider03m 10-20-2010 01:00 PM

Wait, is the shifter having a hard time going into 4wd or is your driveline having a hard time going into 4wd?

SRTILL8 10-20-2010 01:19 PM

this happened to me in my XJ- getting locked in part time.

i dont know if this will help but ill wing it out anyways.

what i had to do was keep trying shifting it while the car is in neutral position over and over until it get out in normal 2 wheels. back and forth back and forth, shifting here shifting there, sometimes i had to drive just fast enough to get it out of that mess. i hated the lever settings, id pray not to get stuck in that mess every time id need my full time 4wd. full time 4wd still a blast in my XJ. i use it every winter hauling wooden logs up a steep hill along side our house. shes still a champ- just never liked part time anything- haha

gl with your situation though :thumbsup: