Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Towing behing motorhome (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/towing-behing-motorhome-14024.html)

Homer 10-15-2010 11:13 PM

Towing behing motorhome

We tow our 2002 Grand behind our motorhome. Will soon replace it with a WK2 4x4 Limited. I read about how to put transfer case into neutral, which sounds like a dance compared to moving our 02 lever.

Does anyone know if the WK2 steering wheel still has the anti-theft lock that prevents steering wheel from turning when ignition is off?

On our 02 we removed the anti-theft pin so we can tow without a key in the ignition. Now with key-less ignition, I wonder how steering wheel lock works on the WJ2.

rdalcanto 10-16-2010 09:05 AM

Re: Towing behing motorhome

You have to pop off the start button, put the stubby key fob end into the ignition like an old style key, run through the procedure to put the transfer case in neutral, and then tow it with the key turned one click (probably to unlock the steering wheel - I don't know for sure yet since it will be 2 months+ till I get mine....). How hard is it to remove the anti-theft pin? I would love to do the same thing. Our Suburban doesn't have a steering wheel lock and it makes towing it behind our motorhome very easy.

Technosavant 10-16-2010 10:38 AM

It's easy enough to put the transfer case into neutral. Instead of moving a lever, there's a small button next to the Select Terrain knob. IIRC, you put the transmission gear selector into neutral, then push that button for a certain length of time.

It's in the manual.

parker 10-16-2010 11:39 AM

I'm not sure since I haven't gotten mine yet (ordered last month), but it may be like the new wranglers which don't have a steering lock.

SMG1 10-17-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 285665)
It's easy enough to put the transfer case into neutral. Instead of moving a lever, there's a small button next to the Select Terrain knob. IIRC, you put the transmission gear selector into neutral, then push that button for a certain length of time.

It's in the manual.

He knows how to put it in neutral. The issue is with the steering column lock.

parker 10-18-2010 09:20 AM

I also don't think the tech package would be wise. At least not until you can see one on the dealers lot. From photos it looks like a large eye or sensor dead center in the front. I would wonder if this sensor and the tow bar base plate and/or toad braking system might interfere with one another.

bpmcgee 10-18-2010 10:00 AM

Interestingly enough, according to the owners manual the 4x4 Wk2s are not suitable for being towed with 2 wheels on a dolly, but they can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. The 2wd models are not suitable for flat towing, and can only be towed with the REAR 2 wheels on a dolly.

B

parker 10-18-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpmcgee (Post 286540)
Interestingly enough, according to the owners manual the 4x4 Wk2s are not suitable for being towed with 2 wheels on a dolly, but they can be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. The 2wd models are not suitable for flat towing, and can only be towed with the front 2 wheels on a dolly.

B

Jeeps have worked that way for recreational towing for years now. QD II and QT II are 4-down towable and 4-down only, no dollies due to wear on components within the transfer case if two wheels are off the ground in transit.. QT I is not towable 4-down or with dolly either, this includes SRT models. 2x4 Jeeps are only towable with a driveshaft disconnect or manual transmission or backwards on a dolly. :thumbsup:

rdalcanto 10-18-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker (Post 286527)
I also don't think the tech package would be wise. At least not until you can see one on the dealers lot. From photos it looks like a large eye or sensor dead center in the front. I would wonder if this sensor and the tow bar base plate and/or toad braking system might interfere with one another.

I was a little worried about this, but ordered tech package anyway. The base plate will replace the tow hooks, so no problem there. The brake cable for my Ready Brute tow bar can come out 6 inchs off of center with no problems according to the manufacturer, so that should be o.k. The sensor for the tech package is in the center, but not that big in the photos. We'll see when I actually get it....

parker 10-18-2010 07:57 PM

I ordered without it and will be using the Blue Ox base plates. So like you the plates take the place of the tow hooks. I've been using the M&G brake, but no room for it in the WK2's. I guess I'll try the airforce 1 with this car.