Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   How about reliability of QL(air suspension) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/how-about-reliability-of-ql-air-suspension-14029.html)

goforjeep 10-16-2010 08:45 AM

How about reliability of QL(air suspension)

Since we can order QL for Laredo X, I'd like to know its reliability. Sometimes more technology give you more headache. Any inputs?

moosehead 10-16-2010 08:49 AM

Re: How about reliability of QL(air suspension)

Quote:

Originally Posted by goforjeep (Post 285629)
Since we can order QL for Laredo X, I'd like to know its reliability. Sometimes more technology give you more headache. Any inputs?

+1 to that notion, especially for first edition vehicle. check out the numerous threads on this topic both here and in other sites. also check out the wk2 stickey on this forum for jeep system schematics and description. jeep seems to have a well thought out closed system.

the good news is that air systems have been in use on commercial vehicles for years with heavy duty application. land rover, audi, and vw have been using air systems for 5-10+ years now.

goforjeep 10-16-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 285631)
+1 to that notion, especially for first edition vehicle. check out the numerous threads on this topic both here and in other sites. also check out the wk2 stickey on this forum for jeep system schematics and description. jeep seems to have a well thought out closed system.

the good news is that air systems have been in use on commercial vehicles for years with heavy duty application. land rover, audi, and vw have been using air systems for 5-10+ years now.

Oh, I just found there is a subforum overhead for suspension things, :(
Thanks

moosehead 10-16-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goforjeep (Post 285632)
Oh, I just found there is a subforum overhead for suspension things, :(
Thanks

No worries gfj, it's a hot topic for all of us. It's a cool system if it's solid and working properly.

Many have suggested getting the extended warantee to deal with potential first year QL exposure. Some are foregoing having the QL altogether, especially if you may want to mod or lift the suspension for AT. Having the option to choose is a nice benefit for the Laredo.

Technosavant 10-16-2010 10:41 AM

So far, so good, with mine at least. Expectation is that the sealed system in the WK2 will last longer than other systems. Still, I don't expect it to be any less problematic than a traditional suspension. The difference is that when you blow an air spring, you know it for sure. With a more traditional strut or shock, they still wear out, but it's gradual, so you don't know it. If your vehicle has 100K miles on the shocks or struts, they're worn out and need replacement, whether you know it or not.

goforjeep 10-16-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 285666)
So far, so good, with mine at least. Expectation is that the sealed system in the WK2 will last longer than other systems. Still, I don't expect it to be any less problematic than a traditional suspension. The difference is that when you blow an air spring, you know it for sure. With a more traditional strut or shock, they still wear out, but it's gradual, so you don't know it. If your vehicle has 100K miles on the shocks or struts, they're worn out and need replacement, whether you know it or not.

Thanks for the comment, I am curious about the feeling of air suspension ride? both on highway and off-road.

Jim Hef 10-16-2010 11:16 AM

I test drove a QL equipped Overland, and I thought it handled nicely in the Auto mode of SelecTerrain. However, I would be one of those that would investigate the extended warranties. We don't know anything about this system in terms of reliability, and can only go from past experiences with similar other systems in the Caddy and Lincoln land yachts, where they have developed replacement systems using convential components. The front of the QL seems to use combined shock/spring component, and what is that going to cost to replace the shocks when they are worn? What will upgrades cost for better shock control units? We don't know!

Technosavant 10-16-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goforjeep (Post 285671)
Thanks for the comment, I am curious about the feeling of air suspension ride? both on highway and off-road.

Can't vouch for anything rougher than gravel/dirt roads, but on highway or off, it's smooth and solid. You don't feel like you're floating, but neither do you feel every single bump. The damping is excellent.

Technosavant 10-16-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hef (Post 285677)
I test drove a QL equipped Overland, and I thought it handled nicely in the Auto mode of SelecTerrain. However, I would be one of those that would investigate the extended warranties. We don't know anything about this system in terms of reliability, and can only go from past experiences with similar other systems in the Caddy and Lincoln land yachts, where they have developed replacement systems using convential components. The front of the QL seems to use combined shock/spring component, and what is that going to cost to replace the shocks when they are worn? What will upgrades cost for better shock control units? We don't know!

I wouldn't be surprised at all for replacement costs to be reasonably high. This isn't a cheap vehicle; the parts specific to the more costly features won't be rock bottom.

But then again, I don't expect to have to replace these things more than maybe once. When I have that many miles on it, I'll be willing to look into a new vehicle if and when the suspension craps out rather expensively.

suvowner 10-16-2010 05:45 PM

My dealer told me this system is what porsche has been using for a number of years now so it is proven in that sense

Jim Hef 10-16-2010 09:10 PM

Another dealer with some ill advised spin:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cayenne/suspension.html

Possibly he was referring to the VW Toureag's air suspension.

goforjeep 10-16-2010 10:11 PM

Seems attractive to pick AWY including ORA I+ Tow + QL at $2125 for Laredo X 3.6v