Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   The beast is alive... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/the-beast-is-alive-14046.html)

wk2silverbullet 10-16-2010 10:10 PM

The beast is alive...

Silverbullet is 50miles shy of 1000 miles and i can already feel a big difference in performance. Also the gear changes are smoother. I followed the brake in schedule on the manual. I checked the oil and is clean as new.

There is about half stick missing(max to min). Should i just have an oil change soon, or top it off? What kind of oil do they have from the factory?

Jim Hef 10-17-2010 12:31 AM

Re: The beast is alive...

Do an oil change and filter with regular oil, and then again at 5k, switching to synthetic.

boarderman23 10-17-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wk2silverbullet (Post 285913)
I followed the brake in schedule on the manual. I checked the oil and is clean as new.

What does the manual say for break-in period? I looked and couldn't find it, must not have looked very good.

jonesark 10-17-2010 10:14 AM

^^this.

When I bought my last new truck in 2007 I asked about a break in period and got the whole engines now-a-days don't need a break in......

rdalcanto 10-17-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesark (Post 286016)
^^this.

When I bought my last new truck in 2007 I asked about a break in period and got the whole engines now-a-days don't need a break in......

I've heard that plenty of times too. But the manual that came with my boat that has a high performance Inmar (sp?) engine describes a very conervative break in procedure for the first several hours. The manual for the WK2 also says to really baby the engine and transmission in the beginning. I believe it says to keep it under 60mph for a while. Makes me feel bad when I go to a dealer to test drive new vehicles, and I'm beating the snot out of a car with 6 miles on the odometer....

jonesark 10-17-2010 10:31 AM

Yeah I will for sure follow a break-in if one does exist in the manual......but I couldn't find a break-in schedule in my 07 tundra manual. Oh well, I've put 32,000 miles on it and haven't had a single problem....guess it didn't hurt it when I was giving it hell in the beginning...lol

Jim Hef 10-17-2010 11:00 AM

I remember reading a passage about break-in in the manual I downloaded, but it was simply "drive it like normal, avoiding long periods of the same speed". It's basically the same procedure that they've recommended for years, avoid constant throttle and also avoid full throttle for the first 500-700 miles.

GlowingGhoul 10-17-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesark (Post 286016)
^^this.

The latest revision of the manual removed the break in procedure that was in the first edition (I saw it on-line). Dunno why they did that...

Cherodude 10-17-2010 07:54 PM

The pdf format Owner's Manual that I downloaded back in early August has the following on pages 92-93:

"ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.
The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades refer to “Maintenance Procedures” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle”. NON-DETERGENT OR STRAIGHT MINERAL OILS MUST NEVER BE USED.
A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as an indication of difficulty."

Cherodude 10-17-2010 08:11 PM

And if you're wondering what the same manual says about the oil change materials, here is what it says on pages 494-497:

Engine Oil
Checking Oil Level
To assure proper engine lubrication, the engine oil must be maintained at the correct level. Check the oil level at regular intervals, such as every fuel stop. The best time to check the engine oil level is about five minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off, or before starting the engine after it has sat overnight.

Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level readings. Maintain the oil level in the SAFE level range. Adding 1 U.S. Quart (0.95L) of oil when the level is at the bottom of the SAFE range will result in the level being at the top of the SAFE range.

CAUTION!
Overfilling or underfilling the crankcase will cause aeration or loss of oil pressure. This could damage your engine.

Change Engine Oil
The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to “Maintenance Schedule” for further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever occurs first.

Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection for all engines under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil Identification Symbol
This symbol means that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API). The manufacturer only recommends API Certified engine oils.

CAUTION!
Do not use chemical flushes in your engine oil as the chemicals can damage your engine. Such damage is not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Engine Oil Viscosity – 3.6L Engine
SAE 5W-30 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine oil viscosity for your vehicle. For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to “Engine Compartment” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle” for further informa- tion.

Lubricants, which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number, should not be used.

Engine Oil Viscosity – 5.7L Engine
SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy.

The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine oil viscosity for your vehicle. For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to “Engine Compartment” in “Maintaining Your Vehicle” for further information.

NOTE: Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement System (MDS). Refer to “Multi-Displacement System” in “Starting and Operating” for further information.

Lubricants, which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number, should not be used.

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils if the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

Materials Added to Engine Oils The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its performance may be impaired by supplemental additives.

Disposing of Used Engine Oil and Oil Filters
Care should be taken in disposing of used engine oil and oil filters from your vehicle. Used oil and oil filters, indiscriminately discarded, can present a problem to the environment. Contact your local authorized dealer, service station, or governmental agency for advice on how and where used oil and oil filters can be safely discarded in your area.

Engine Oil Filter
The engine oil filter should be replaced with a new filter at every oil change.

Engine Oil Filter Selection
The manufacturer’s engines have a full-flow type disposable oil filter. Use a filter of this type for replacement. The quality of replacement filters varies considerably. Only high-quality filters should be used to assure most efficient service. MOPAR engine oil filters are high-quality oil filters and are recommended."

wk2silverbullet 10-17-2010 08:56 PM

"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle." meaning that there is a brake-in. maybe not long, but there is. Don't believe the now a days thing.

"The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant." Is this any different that what you can buy? I am assuming not, but who knows.

I will schedule an oil change next week at the dealer. (will also have the running boards installed, and maybe the winter tires with the back mopar rims)

White WK Swagga 10-18-2010 07:25 AM

When I got my jeep it took about 2500 miles to loosen up everything.