Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Media Center 730 or 430(RBZ)

19K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Scottina06 
#1 ·
Which is the better media center option? I can get the 430 today or I can wait and get the 730 model next week.

Is there a major different? All I can see is the 430 software is Garmin and the 730 has the Sirius live Traffic.

Please help!!!

#2 ·
Most are going to say the 730...but the 430 is more than capable.

#3 · (Edited)
Edit: the RBZ is NOT the 430N with navigation, it's the regular 430 Media Center (no nav). The RHB is the Media Center 430N (the one with nav).

As for the 430N (RHB) vs. the 730N (RER), here's pluses and minuses to both.

In favor of the 730N:
Included iPod cable
Split screen nav/audio capability
Nav directions shown in the EVIC
Voice command
Live traffic/nav integration

In favor of the 430N:
Garmin software/routing
Likely cheaper map updates (for the 730N, the price I've seen is $200; I can't imagine Garmin charging that much)
Hands free texting (doesn't necessarily work all that well)
USB connection in the console for use with a thumb drive or USB to iPod cable
Sirius Travel Link (not yet enabled; probably in January)

I'd say both are good, and the pluses and minuses are fairly even. The voice command might well be the one thing that sets the 730N ahead, but I don't know that it's enough to give it a universal recommendation.

#7 ·
OK, hadn't known that.

I think you forgot dead reckoning on 730N
Yup. The above list isn't exhaustive (or necessarily fully correct, even!).

The 430 also has bluetooth audio streaming...which again, is not always perfect.
Seems like a few of these 430N features are only partially implemented. Quite a version 1.0 feel to reports of how well it works. I expect they'll get ironed out though.

#12 ·
Are you getting one of these systems as an option in your new GC or our you buying it separately from your dealer as an upgrade?

I have the 130 system and would love to upgrade to one of those, I was waiting for them to come out.

Any price info/

If it were me I would probably opt for the 730.

#16 ·
I could have gotten either but after studying the features I chose the 430N. I wanted the Garmin and I liked being able to use an external USB drive. If I could have gotten the new 730N RHR I probably would have; however I have not seen a good list of features for that media center so I can't say for sure. One thing I do like about the 730N RER is that it comes with Sirius Travel which would be a good thing to have if you travel a lot in large cities. I do mostly driving in the country and smaller cities. I really don't see why they didn't offer that with the 430N, or at least the capability to if you wanted to add it. Must be a hard thing to do because they don't even have travel link working yet on the 430N.

#17 ·
Having directions displayed on the evic is totally worth the upgrade to the 730. Because when you.... Ahem.... Your passengers are watching a DVD you still get visual turn instructions even while the DVD is playing. Or if you just happen to be on the Sirius or regular radio screens. It allows you to do other things without having to go to the nav page for turn directions.

#18 ·
read the above posts......they both display directions on the EVIC.

#19 ·
Yes the 430N absolutely gives nav direction on the EVIC, but that is not the best feature in my opinion. If you are using the Garmin nav you can still listen to the radio or play cd etc., and if a turn comes up the voice system takes over and the radio stops and your lane change or turn directions are given over the speakers. To me this is more important than seeing it in the EVIC. If I am using the Nav then that means I am going somewhere I haven't been before, and I really don't want to take my eyes off the road. The voice instructions allow me to do that without having to stop the radio manually. The 430N Nav unit stops all other sound coming from the speakers and tells me when to turn, and then goes right back to playing whatever I was listening to.

#26 ·
430N is far superior because its running the Garmin, best feature: search by name POI. This is the most useful feature I have found in any sat/nav system. For example, if you want the nearest Target, just type "target", nearest Wendy's, type: "wendys" Most systems you have the search through a category, not the Garmin.

#27 ·
430N is far superior because its running the Garmin,
IMO, I'd have rather had the Garmin maps and routing capabilities; there's just no way Harmon can match them. However, the other features of the 730N balance out the equation. Maybe not enough balancing to make the 730N a clear upgrade, but enough to where I can see why somebody would deliberately choose one over the other.

It's a pity that they didn't go with Garmin for the upcoming RHR; that would have been a real feather in their cap.

#30 ·
:)I've had 5 navis. Here are a couple of things to think about:

Voice commands for turning can become pretty annoying when they repeat the turn three times. I turn my voice off because of this!

Driving at night with a bright navi really cuts down on visibility, even in the night mode. Having the navi display brightness linked to the in dash panel dimmer control really helps. I use that feature all the time.

Display resolution and size are pretty important for seeing all the routing information. Both the 430N and 730N are lower resolution than the competition. I'm waiting for the RHR model specs before I commit.

#36 ·
Which is the better media center option? I can get the 430 today or I can wait and get the 730 model next week.

Is there a major different? All I can see is the 430 software is Garmin and the 730 has the Sirius live Traffic.

Please help!!!
Big difference my friend. The 730 is a better unit. More features and better sound quality. Apparently the 730 is manufactured by Harman Becker and the 430 RBZ is by Mitsubishi Automotive Electric! I have the 430 RBZ which is decent unit but does not sound sharp like some of the other premium audio systems. Get the 730 if you can

arvindm

#38 · (Edited)
Do you have the interior illumination wheel set at either full brightness or in the first "notch" from the top stop?

EDIT: I'm assuming you (like me) use the auto-headlight function full-time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.