Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Starting problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/starting-problems-14191.html)

vwkg 10-20-2010 04:21 PM

Starting problems

Hi Guys,

I have an '04 GCltd 4.7ltr. Runs like a limo. But the bitch has attitude, everynow and again when you just dont need the hassle or are in a hurry, it wont start. Wait 20-30min and wham just as if there was never a problem?

I have changed the CPS, had the dealer change the Starting relay, had 3 other dealers say there is no problem. But tell that to the wife who gets stuck for ages in the middle of a hot day, while kids are waiting to be picked up.

I have put a new battery and terminals on the main leads, as above CPS sensor had the computer reset after doing these items.
Runs OK for a few weeks then starts playing up.

The lights come on no starter noise or clicking nothing, wait 20-30 min, then turn the key and of she runs. No error codes nothing, just a bloody gremlin.

All help and suggestions accepted.

Thanks,
Nick.

Frango100 10-20-2010 06:44 PM

Re: Starting problems

The problem could be the adjustment of the park/neutral switch. If the problem happens again, just play a bit with the transmission lever to see if it starts. There are ofcourse many other items which could cause your problem, such as the starter solenoid on the starter motor or the ignition switch.

cheapjeep 10-20-2010 08:02 PM

Yep,that's the first thing I'd try then have the starter checked.

206WJ 10-20-2010 09:11 PM

Could be something in the ignition itself too. Like the contacts will only go to "Run" and not "Start" to click on the relay to turn the starter.

vwkg 10-20-2010 09:44 PM

Thanks guys off to dealer #5 this morning. This gives me something to see if they have same thought patern or not.

I have tried wiggling shift lever but it does nothing starter relay has been switched, i am leaning towards PCM? hope not.
Whats one of those worth?

I have also been told there is a standard issue/fault with fuel relay , anybody heard of this?

Thanks,
Nick

TJXJWJ 10-21-2010 08:15 AM

I would rule out the starter/solenoid first before anything else. Mine tested fine on my XJ (took it in to "advanced"). Spent a week d1cking around with it trying to get it to start. Changed the starter finally and it worked perfectly. Either the fat azz at "advanced" (should be "weetarded") didn't know how to use the tester, or that tester doesn't do everything it's supposed to.

Starters are a lot cheaper than PCMs...I'd try there first regardless of what the Autozoners or Advanced guys try to tell you.

Frango100 10-21-2010 10:29 AM

To rule out PCM, starter switch circuit or any other start controlling device, you could let somebody feel with a finger on the starter relay in the power distribution center when the problem is there. Does this relay click, most probably the problem is the starter/solenoid.

wjcraxy4.7 01-04-2011 06:33 AM

Mine did the same. I took off the battery terminals so the PCM resets and checked all ground locations. Haven't had a problem since.

Also what you can do is when it doesn't want to turn over. Take out the key insert it again and step on the brake pedal to start. Seen this a couple of times.

novajeep 08-10-2011 01:27 PM

Apparently I cant send messages til I have 10 posts =/

Nick - Im having the EXACT same starter issues with my Sahara, except I had the battery completely die once, replaced it and within a month my relay is already acting up again. It's at the dealer right now for the 6th time but they're obviously confused...we've gone over the starter, relay, connection wires, etc. Did you ever figure out what your problem was?? Id appreciate any information you can give me.

Thanks!!
-Cristen