Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Adding Fogs? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/adding-fogs-14193.html)

Marbs 10-20-2010 04:52 PM

Adding Fogs?

Did a quick search and didn't find much(maybe I'm blind). I was wondering what I would need and where is the best( price and quality) place to purchase needed parts to install Fogs onto the 09 that came without. I can think that I'll need the lights, brackets, and a new headlight switch?. What else will I need. Did Jeep run all the wires needed even if it didn't come with or will I need to wire it all up. I want it to be as stock as possible.

robpp 10-20-2010 04:58 PM

Re: Adding Fogs?

jeep seels a kit with the Headlight Stalk, lights wiring, etc.

or you can piece it together.

White Chocolate 10-20-2010 05:08 PM

just for jeeps, or your local dealership

robpp 10-20-2010 08:10 PM

crawl under and see if the wires are there. you'll see them if they are.

then all you need is the stalk and the lights.

gc4x4 10-21-2010 02:10 PM

The fog light wiring is there, its taped to the other wires harness' under the bumper.

All you need is:

fog lights/mounts
new headlight stalk w/fog
fog light relay
20 amp fuse
starscan activation via trip to dealer.

Marbs 10-21-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 288503)
The fog light wiring is there, its taped to the other wires harness' under the bumper.

All you need is:

fog lights/mounts
new headlight stalk w/fog
fog light relay
20 amp fuse
starscan activation via trip to dealer.

What's "starscan activation", It's wired but I still need a relay? Is their not a spot in the fuse box for the fuse?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-21-2010 06:08 PM

starscan is the dealer computer they use to change setting on the vehicles computer. it is proprietary so it can only be done at a dealer or if someone spent $5k+ on a starscan

Marbs 10-21-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 288603)
starscan is the dealer computer they use to change setting on the vehicles computer. it is proprietary so it can only be done at a dealer or if someone spent $5k+ on a starscan

But why would I need it to add fog lights? It's a simple ground switch item, not a computer ran setting. Right?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-21-2010 11:04 PM

nope, you are using existing wiring that is tied in through the computer system.

Marbs 10-21-2010 11:54 PM

Any idea what the stealership charges for this?

gc4x4 10-22-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marbs (Post 288768)
Any idea what the stealership charges for this?

Some dealers may charge up to $80 to activate and some do it as a courtesy, it depends on the dealer you go to. It sucks that Chrysler made their vehicle computers this way.:(

hemisareslow 10-22-2010 05:17 PM

I just got done adding factory fogs to the 2010 wk my wife just bought....got the fog light kit from justforjeeps for 225 shipped with 3 day ups shipping...came with the lights/mounts...fuse and relay...and new directional lever with fog light switch....my stealership quoted my 99 bucks to update the computer....but offered to do it free when I had the factory remote stater and uconnect installed