Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Door hinge noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/door-hinge-noise-14194.html)

Seminole-3 10-20-2010 05:33 PM

Door hinge noise
 
I recently had both front doors on my 08 WK start creaking when opened and closed. It happens the most when the door is opened to the first "notch" or about halfway open and then is slowly opened further or is closed.

The hinges appear to be in good condition. I tried to apply some white lithium grease. That did little to stop the noise. I also tried graphite lube but that did nothing.

Anyone have any insight on what I could do? It really makes the vehicle seem cheap and damaged. I thought maybe it could be the hinge pin itself but I'm not sure what I could do about that.

Thanks is advance!

:thumbsup:Todd

magnumman426 10-21-2010 10:35 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
If the noise keeps up after being greased, replace the hinges. We've seen this problem in the shop a bit already.

MM

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-21-2010 11:59 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman426 (Post 288728)
If the noise keeps up after being greased, replace the hinges. We've seen this problem in the shop a bit already.

MM

i replaced my hinges, but it was because the door was rubbing the fender. i was also getting a squeak, but the fender rub was way worse.

Seminole-3 10-22-2010 08:07 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
I was hoping I wouldn't have to replace the hinges. Not so much because of the price, but because of fitment issues. I would hate to screw it up and not be able to get the door fitting right afterwards.

Any easy way to go about it?

robpp 10-22-2010 10:01 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
maybe they gave you an old hinge.......

this tsb is from 2006 but it does speak about correctly aligning lower hinges......

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2303905.pdf

06HemiLtd 10-23-2010 06:51 AM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
on dec 1, i will have had my 06 for 5 years and my doors have made noise since i've had it. all 4 doors. i use 3-in-one oil ( http://www.3inone.com/ ) about every 6 months or so and noise is 100% eliminated. i bought the bottle that has a long tube so it can reach into all the moving parts. my wife has an 07 commander and it makes the same noises.

Seminole-3 10-23-2010 07:16 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 06HemiLtd (Post 289326)
on dec 1, i will have had my 06 for 5 years and my doors have made noise since i've had it. all 4 doors. i use 3-in-one oil ( http://www.3inone.com/ ) about every 6 months or so and noise is 100% eliminated. i bought the bottle that has a long tube so it can reach into all the moving parts. my wife has an 07 commander and it makes the same noises.


I just bought some so i'll give that a shot. Thanks for the tip!

Milous 10-23-2010 07:21 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seminole-3 (Post 288055)
I recently had both front doors on my 08 WK start creaking when opened and closed. It happens the most when the door is opened to the first "notch" or about halfway open and then is slowly opened further or is closed.

Just released a couple days ago:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2301810.pdf

Seminole-3 10-23-2010 07:26 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 289601)
Just released a couple days ago:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2301810.pdf


Awesome! That seems to be exactly what my issue is. I have been putting the grease where it says to wipe it off. I will try it out and see what I can do before I let the dealership touch it.

Thanks!

Milous 10-23-2010 08:51 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seminole-3 (Post 289604)
...I have been putting the grease where it says to wipe it off.

I have been doing the same thing on my Jeeps until I read the bulletin, smearing grease all over, had no idea that was wrong!

Seminole-3 10-23-2010 09:06 PM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
I just greased where it said to. I used both 3 in 1 and white lithium grease. It made the noise less noticeable but it is still there. I spent about 20 minutes putting oil in every little crack and pin and then opening and closing the door over and over. It helped a bit but didn't completely get rid of it. I'm hoping over the next day or so it might get better.

While I was working on it, a neighbor stopped over and asked what I had used to try and fix the hinge. Apparently he works for a company that supplies fasteners for vehicle hinges and says that most likely the noise is caused by rust on the pin. He said ideally they should replace it with a stainless and teflon setup. I laughed and said there's no way the dealership would do that.

Seminole-3 10-26-2010 08:51 AM

Re: Door hinge noise
 
Looks like the oil and grease worked. I have no sound at all anymore. Slides smoothly and quietly.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community