Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Paint Buffed (can it be fixed???) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/paint-buffed-can-it-be-fixed-14200.html)

jeep2011 10-20-2010 06:34 PM

Paint Buffed (can it be fixed???)

I had some trash under the paint in my front fender. The dealer said it could be buffed out. I made it clear that I didn't want swirl marks left in the paint. Low and behold the trash is gone, but it looks worse since there are buffer swirl marks all in that spot on the fender. Being the dark charcoal it looks horrible in the sun.

Is anyone an expert on paint to let me know if this can be fixed or does the fender have to be repainted now?

Lazzman 10-20-2010 06:47 PM

Re: Paint Buffed (can it be fixed???)

I am a profesional detailer and it depends on how deep the paint imperfections are, but I highly doubt it needs to be repainted. It would only need to be repainted if the clear coat was burned through exposing the paint layer or worse the grey primer coat, or actual raw plastic on the bumper, which it sounds like it has not.

The dealer most likely just buffed out the area with a heavy cut polish and pad but did not follow it up with a lighter cutting pad and polish, thus leaving swirl marks. :polish:

Surprisingly dealers cut major costs by hiring young kids using cheap products to prep their vehicles for delivery.

If it was me I would start by using Meguires M205 polish with a white polishing pad on a rotary buffer, that should do the trick.

If you do not have a rotary buffer and knowledge on how to use it, I would take it to a reputable profesional detailer. Those swirls should come out Pretty easy- as they are only in the very top clear coat layer of the finish.

jeep2011 10-20-2010 06:56 PM

THANK YOU LAZZMAN! That makes me feel so much better. They didn't cut into the paint at all, it just looks like crap when the sun hits it.

So you recommend taking it somewhere else versus getting them to fix the marks?

Joe in PA 10-20-2010 07:35 PM

If they failed to do it right in the first place, I wouldn't give them a 2nd chance to screw it up again. Take it to someone who knows the difference between a rotary and dual action buffer and why you'd want to work your way from a compound or cutting polish through a finishing polish before attempting to apply a sealant or wax. ;)

jeep2011 10-20-2010 09:29 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. I will go back tomorrow to see if they can fix the swirls. Otherwise I will find another body shop in town that knows what they are doing.

Lazzman 10-21-2010 05:19 PM

I would say go back also.

When I took my car in for a recent service, they are suposed to wash and vacuum the car. After the repair was fixed I went for a test ride with the head technician, he noticed the kid that was supposed to clean the cars did not do a thorough job. When he saw him in the parking lot he told him he forgot to do a few area's on my vehicle.

When it comes to detailing auto dealers do it very fast without a lot of attention to detail and with less than premium products.

Good luck, I am sure they will be able to buff them out as they should have done the first time.