Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Upgraded to Kicker system from boston, but no amp? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/upgraded-to-kicker-system-from-boston-but-no-amp-14227.html)

BEvensen 10-21-2010 01:07 PM

Upgraded to Kicker system from boston, but no amp?

Hey guys, i just joined these forums in hope that someone could help me out. I have an 08 GC Laredo and i recently upgraded from Boston acoustics to kicker (speaker wise). The system sounds pretty good but i was wondering about the amp upgrade and if it'll help. I tried to find the Boston amp in my car, but as it turns out i don't have one. Is this possible that i don't have one installed? And is it bad to be using the kicker speakers without an amp?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-21-2010 01:19 PM

Re: Upgraded to Kicker system from boston, but no amp?

it will be under powered. i am pretty sure that all WKs with the bostons system have an amp in the rear cargo area. it is behind the drivers side panel.

iJeep 10-21-2010 01:26 PM

^^ Right. if you have the plug back there it's a very easy install. If you don't already have a BA amp, I may have one for you.

BEvensen 10-21-2010 01:31 PM

I took off the rear panel (drivers side) and checked for the amp and there certainly isn't one. It looked like there was wiring for it though, but no harness. It sounds like it can be underpowered because the rear speakers don't produce much noise. If i do get an amp it would still be plug and play right? Also i think i'm going to go with the kicker amp opposed to the boston one,but thanks for the offer. Is kicker worth it?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-21-2010 01:48 PM

the kicker amp will give you more power and a surround sound feature

BEvensen 10-21-2010 01:54 PM

will it be plug and play though? i dont want to buy this amp and not be able to set it up

robpp 10-21-2010 01:56 PM

the kicker is worth it. however, YOU MUST figure out if you have the 'harness'. the AMP comes with no Wires. it has 2 plugs. if you have those 2 plugs laying in your DS rear then the kicker amp is a good idea. if you do not have the plugs, then get a harness that connects to the HU and allows adding an aftermarket amp.

robpp 10-21-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEvensen (Post 288488)
will it be plug and play though? i dont want to buy this amp and not be able to set it up

do you have the 2 plugs ? that will answer your question. we cannot see under the plastic thru the interneet????

robpp 10-21-2010 02:00 PM

this shows the AMP with the 2 plugs in the top. IIRC its a 22 pin and a 12 but wkjeeps has the exact pinouts.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/sound/Kicker_amp_01.jpg

BEvensen 10-21-2010 02:17 PM

i have the two plugs but no harness, does the amp come with a harness?

368-watt 8-channel amplifier upgrade
(Note: Amplifier upgrade is only for vehicles that came with the factory premium sound system)

i dont know if i had the factory premium sound system, mine could be base. that might be why there's no amp/harness

robpp 10-21-2010 02:48 PM

the AMP plugs directly into the plugs......as shown in the pic i posted above. THERE IS NO HARNESS.

so if you have those plugs then a BA or Kicker amp will be PnP.

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-21-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEvensen (Post 288507)
i have the two plugs but no harness, does the amp come with a harness?

368-watt 8-channel amplifier upgrade
(Note: Amplifier upgrade is only for vehicles that came with the factory premium sound system)

i dont know if i had the factory premium sound system, mine could be base. that might be why there's no amp/harness

are you sure you had boston speakers? boston is the premium system but i thought they all came with amps already installed.