Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Skid Plates (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/skid-plates-14242.html)

parker 10-21-2010 07:48 PM

Skid Plates

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'll ask to be sure. For all who have taken delivery of their new Overland without ORA group II. Did your unit have skid plates?

Seems strange not to, seeing as how everything in the ORA I group pretty much is standard on the Oland. If not, the ORA II ads nothing more than the skid plates, trail rated badge (woo hoo), and the smaller wheel tire package which is most likely cheaper.

I ordered without the ORA II because I like the 20's. Just want to know for sure before ordering the skid plates so they will arrive about the same time as the new Jeep.

jonesark 10-21-2010 07:54 PM

Re: Skid Plates

Yeah..I'm sure the answer is no.

Technosavant 10-21-2010 07:57 PM

If you don't have an Off Road package, you don't have skid plates.

My Overland (no ORA 2) didn't have them. I had them put on. I'm waiting for tow hooks to become available so I can get those as well.

ORA2 adds skid plates, tow hooks, the badge, and downsizes the rims. It would likely be cheaper to get ORA2 for $250 and then just get a set of 20" rims... the skid plates and installation were $750 or so before taxes at my dealer. The tow hooks will likely be somewhere in the $200ish range if I have them installed. Then the only thing keeping me from being full off road capable is the low profile tires on the 20" rims... to buy a set of Jeep branded 18" rims will be about $900 or so... don't see that happening (although the black ones would look bitchin' on this thing).

azcats2 10-21-2010 07:59 PM

then why did they make the skid plates such a prominent piece of their advertising campaign? you would think they were standard after the "ask about the skid plates" stuff

Technosavant 10-21-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azcats2 (Post 288655)
then why did they make the skid plates such a prominent piece of their advertising campaign? you would think they were standard after the "ask about the skid plates" stuff

Jeep's main brand identity is off road capability. Obviously not every single Jeep has that capability- the vehicles can be ordered with it, but it may not necessarily be installed. It's the brand image, but not the automatic reality.

If you aren't the sort to like the idea that you can go a bit further off pavement than the next guy, chances are you aren't likely to go for a Jeep.

parker 10-21-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 288653)
It would likely be cheaper to get ORA2 for $250 and then just get a set of 20" rims... the skid plates and installation were $750 or so before taxes at my dealer. The tow hooks will likely be somewhere in the $200ish range if I have them installed. Then the only thing keeping me from being full off road capable is the low profile tires on the 20" rims... to buy a set of Jeep branded 18" rims will be about $900 or so... don't see that happening (although the black ones would look bitchin' on this thing).

Not quite, the 18's may be that cheap but the factory 20's are about $500 each. So the skid plates over the counter are cheaper than the wheels. Plus you have to factor in the price of the different size tires. Thanks for the verification though.

Technosavant 10-21-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker (Post 288682)
Not quite, the 18's may be that cheap but the factory 20's are about $500 each. So the skid plates over the counter are cheaper than the wheels. Plus you have to factor in the price of the different size tires. Thanks for the verification though.

Hadn't seen a price on the 20" rims. That would definitely explain the low cost for ORAII; the downsizing to the 18" rims covers the vast majority of the cost of the plates and hooks.

rdalcanto 10-21-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Not all jeeps are 4x4....

GatoLoco 10-21-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

That commercial keeps reminding me of the day I turned into the 7-11 in my Jetta and hit the curb. Cracked open the oil pan and bent the transmission. Owie!
I just ordered my JGK Overland, and yes - I am getting the skid plates.

rdalcanto 10-22-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatoLoco (Post 288762)
That commercial keeps reminding me of the day I turned into the 7-11 in my Jetta and hit the curb. Cracked open the oil pan and bent the transmission. Owie!
I just ordered my JGK Overland, and yes - I am getting the skid plates.

What about ordering some glasses...? :lol:

tank47 10-22-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 288653)
.. to buy a set of Jeep branded 18" rims will be about $900 or so... don't see that happening (although the black ones would look bitchin' on this thing).

I love those black 18" wheels. I don't go offroading (yet!) and i live in an area that doesn't get much snow if any, but I'm still thinking about getting those wheels and some mean looking tires.

carlosmp 12-15-2010 09:39 PM

same here, ordering the skid plates and tow hooks separately. I'm not going rock crawling anytime soon, but I'd rather have the protection.
Last week I saw a guy in a large F150 who spun out in the snow and ended up mounted on a large boulder on someones yard. Needless to say there where all sorts of liquids dripping from his truck.

Tow hooks...they complete the Jeep look for me;)