Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Roof Rail specs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/roof-rail-specs-14263.html)

ScottCJeep 10-22-2010 11:44 AM

Roof Rail specs
 
Anyone know how the capacity (strength) on the roof rails compares to past models? I would definitely need a rack on top...on my '96 GC, I have yakima cross bars which I use with ski and kayak racks
Thanks

JoeSchmoe007 10-22-2010 12:04 PM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
From the Owner's Manual:

"The load must not exceed 150 lbs (68 kg), and should be uniformly distributed over the luggage rack crossbars."

moosehead 10-22-2010 12:07 PM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 288964)
From the Owner's Manual:

"The load must not exceed 150 lbs (68 kg), and should be uniformly distributed over the luggage rack crossbars."

Booo on that. I was planning on clicking into my downhill skiis on the roof rack and getting up to 100 mph to perfect an aero tuck.

Can anyone please post photos of the mopar rack and mounting feet as it ties into the roof rails? Presume there is also a locking mechanism? Just fondling those rails at the dealer lot left me with the impression that an aftermarket mount may be stronger.

JoeSchmoe007 10-22-2010 12:12 PM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 288972)
Booo on that. I was planning on clicking into my downhill skiis on the roof rack and getting up to 100 mph to perfect an aero tuck.

Can anyone please post photos of the mopar rack and mounting feet as it ties into the roof rails? Presume there is also a locking mechanism? Just fondling those rails at the dealer lot left me with the impression that an aftermarket mount may be stronger.

Somebody on this forum tried to install them and posted that was not an easy 5 min. job - just FYI

mhansen2 10-22-2010 11:15 PM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
Just to get this straight: the roof rack cross members are a dealer installed item?

JoeSchmoe007 10-23-2010 12:48 PM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhansen2 (Post 289274)
Just to get this straight: the roof rack cross members are a dealer installed item?

No. Of course your dealer will install it for you if you ask but it is user-installed item.

mhansen2 10-23-2010 10:58 PM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
Where do you get them?

Edited: Never mind. I just read the owner's manual.

moosehead 10-27-2010 02:44 PM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
Bump.

Anyone please have photos of the roof rails and the mounts? Do these lock in place so the entire rack and its contents are reasonably secure?

The rooftop track rails alone look and feel a bit flimsy.

Thanks

moosehead 10-28-2010 10:08 AM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
Finally dug these cross bar install instructions out of the Mopar website. At a glance, not really encouraging.

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/m...s/K6860485.pdf

Unless additional rooftop attachments are locked above the mounting towers, it looks like anyone can come along with a torx bit and simply remove the cross bars and all attached gear?

Anyone have any real life observations? Bueller? Bueller?

At this point looks like I'll be sending these bars back and looking for a more robust aftermarket roof rack setup. It appears that no JGC mounts exist yet on Yakima or Thule sites other than the standard door top clamps.

muzichio 10-28-2010 10:25 AM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
The roof racks come with a key to lock them up, which the manual doesn't show. Having said that, I haven't actually tried to lock it myself. I can try and post some pics of the rail and mount points if anyone is interested. Too much work to put them on the jeep just for pics though - it's not a 5 minute install....

moosehead 10-28-2010 10:29 AM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by muzichio (Post 292051)
The roof racks come with a key to lock them up, which the manual doesn't show. Having said that, I haven't actually tried to lock it myself. I can try and post some pics of the rail and mount points if anyone is interested. Too much work to put them on the jeep just for pics though - it's not a 5 minute install....

+1 that's great to hear muzichio, thanks for that. Would appreciate any photos as well, even prior to mounting would be helpful.

Does it appear possible to use the same lock cores/keys for rack attachment like on the Yak/Thule setups?

moosehead 11-02-2010 10:57 PM

Re: Roof Rail specs
 
4 Attachment(s)
Got the cross bars. They are reasonably strong and aero. Mopar sticker is attached to what appears to be a Thule OEM product.

Any ski/bike/kayak/clamshell box attachments will slide into either end of the cross bars and then the cap and lock secure all attachments to the bars. That portion looks like good security.

Still not sure that the cross bars themselves and any gear attached could not simply be removed from the top of the roof mounts per the two torx style bolts. Per the below photo, a traditional torx head wrench will not fit into the nuts that hold the cross bars to the top of the mounts. This is OK, but still could be unattached with this skeleton torx wrench.

The other possibility is that the ski/bike/kayak/clamshell box mounts could potentially be mounted and locked over these two skeleton torx bolts, preventing others from getting to them without unlocking the fixtures above.

Yea, I'm a bit anal retentive and the best bet is to take your gear inside. Regardless, many lose expensive gear from their roof racks if not squared away properly.

I'll recheck this with a local rack attack. Thoughts?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community