Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   '11 challenger hp & tq. How to get in Wk2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/11-challenger-hp-and-tq-how-to-get-in-wk2-14267.html)

defiant 10-22-2010 12:56 PM

'11 challenger hp & tq. How to get in Wk2?

So the '11 challenger gets 15hp and 8 pound feet more than the pentastar in the WK2. What's the difference in these two engines? More importantly, what's involved in upping the tq in the pentastar? I could care less about the HP, but want every tq possible. I'm not towing and am a "flatlander." But this thing is heavy and I would like more oomph off the line and for passing.

Also - where are all the "great leases" that were promised with the launch of the new GC? 399 for a base laredo 4x4 is great and all, but what about the upper trims?

thanks!

ps. Any chance at all "summit edition" will be more than an appearance pack and have the extra hp & tq from her sister too?

robpp 10-22-2010 02:16 PM

Re: '11 challenger hp & tq. How to get in Wk2?

its prolly eaten up by parasitic loss to the 4wd.

even though you outweigh the challenger by 1/2 a ton i bet 0-100 you beat him. the 4wd will allow you a perfect no-spin launch. he nails it it takes a bit to stop spinning....you win.

its the same with srt8s. 1/4 mile bone stock the jeep wins hands down over any other bone stock srt8!

Jim Hef 10-22-2010 02:39 PM

You could look into cold air kits and exhaust changes. From our understanding, this packaging also contributes to a lower rating. I doubt though that the 8 lbs/ft could be felt.

xmonger 10-23-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 289035)
its prolly eaten up by parasitic loss to the 4wd.

even though you outweigh the challenger by 1/2 a ton i bet 0-100 you beat him. the 4wd will allow you a perfect no-spin launch. he nails it it takes a bit to stop spinning....you win.

its the same with srt8s. 1/4 mile bone stock the jeep wins hands down over any other bone stock srt8!

Not sure any of this post makes sense. :confused:

The rated output is not whp, so no parasitic loss applies. Most likely the difference is due to a different, more aggressive tune.

On every non-4wd vehicle, getting the launch down shouldn't be an issue after spending a little time with the car, unless you can't drive worth a lick.

robpp 10-23-2010 04:48 PM

yeah they can learn to launch it.....by feathering the throttle or something. in the jeep you just nail it and it goes, they have to play with it. and if its BS then why does the Jeep win 1/4 mile hands down out of the box? they all have the same engine. jeep weighs the most. only diff is the transfer case and the added weight. and this is a known fact, not some internet chatter. my bud just came back from the srt8 track experience and even the instructors told the class the Jeep is the fastest 1/4 mile srt8 out of the box.

about the HP, yes I was incorrect as the numbers were crank. since thats the case, it could be tune, intake exhaust set up; maybe they are the same and they rate the jeep lower; they seem to have forgone HEMI badges why not hide a few HP too.

xmonger 10-23-2010 05:14 PM

The current Challenger V6 does 0-60 in 7.5 (car and driver). The WK2 pentastar does it in 8.4.

The pentastar in the '11 Challenger should put it comfortably in the 6's. It will kill a Hemi WK2, let alone a V6.

Not sure what is going on with the srt. It seems the WK runs neck and neck with the Challenger in this trim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 289527)
yeah they can learn to launch it.....by feathering the throttle or something. in the jeep you just nail it and it goes, they have to play with it. and if its BS then why does the Jeep win 1/4 mile hands down out of the box? they all have the same engine. jeep weighs the most. only diff is the transfer case and the added weight. and this is a known fact, not some internet chatter. my bud just came back from the srt8 track experience and even the instructors told the class the Jeep is the fastest 1/4 mile srt8 out of the box.

about the HP, yes I was incorrect as the numbers were crank. since thats the case, it could be tune, intake exhaust set up; maybe they are the same and they rate the jeep lower; they seem to have forgone HEMI badges why not hide a few HP too.

jeepster23 10-23-2010 06:24 PM

^^^^So whats your point? Do you want to know why the chally is faster? One word for you bro GEARING.

Harrison@Stage6 10-23-2010 06:34 PM

There can be a few different things varying the HP between the two vehicles. Look at teh Jeep SRT8 vs. the LX SRT8's. 420hp. vs. 425hp. That hp. difference was due to the different exhaust manifolds. The LX's wouldn't fit so they redesigned them for the Jeep and killed 5hp with them. Exhaust systems too could make a difference. They could have it tuned a little differently for fuel consumption due to the extra weight of the WK2 vs. the Chally.