Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   What mpg are you getting when using E85? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/what-mpg-are-you-getting-when-using-e85-14341.html)

OneCent 10-24-2010 01:02 PM

What mpg are you getting when using E85?

Do you use E85? And what difference in mpg you get when using it?

KarlG 10-24-2010 03:04 PM

Re: What mpg are you getting when using E85?

No, thank God!. Sure wish the majority of gas stations in NY state where I live did not all have only Ethanol 10% available at the pump, (- about 3 miles/gal), instead of just straight gasoline. E85 reduces fuel economy by 7 to 8 miles per gallon when compared to gasoline, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Read more: The Effect of Ethanol on Gas Mileage | eHow.com

Knightrider03m 10-24-2010 07:38 PM

15 MPG with mostly highway miles

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/knightr...grand-cherokee

robpp 10-24-2010 07:45 PM

i have a wk 4.7.

in my normal week of driving i get about 15 on the evic with 87. when i run e85 I only get 13. during the katrina gas price thing i was running e85 only if the price was at least 20% less than regular otherwise its more expensive per mile. it was usually 30% lower but as the gas prices came down you had to be careful.

i didnt notice any performance difference.

champagneinhand 12-09-2013 12:55 AM

I actually ran a lot of E85 in NY state on my last vehicle and it really wasn't good for the engine. It was a 2.0Turbo charged 4 cylinder, but the E85 actually caused the engine to shudder at stop signs and lights. GM had the dealer run loads of solvents through the engine repeatedly. The last straw was that the dealer had to order a serious solvent they had never used before. I decided to trade the vehicle in in exchange for a 2011 wk2 and the exhaust on the GM vehicle was also so smokey. I'm glad my JEEP never used E85. I can deal with 10%, but E85 has to be a personal choice and its totally harsh in your engine and there is a 10-20% drop in mileage. I just won't use it any longer.

loveracing1988 12-09-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champagneinhand (Post 942524)
I actually ran a lot of E85 in NY state on my last vehicle and it really wasn't good for the engine. It was a 2.0Turbo charged 4 cylinder, but the E85 actually caused the engine to shudder at stop signs and lights. GM had the dealer run loads of solvents through the engine repeatedly. The last straw was that the dealer had to order a serious solvent they had never used before. I decided to trade the vehicle in in exchange for a 2011 wk2 and the exhaust on the GM vehicle was also so smokey. I'm glad my JEEP never used E85. I can deal with 10%, but E85 has to be a personal choice and its totally harsh in your engine and there is a 10-20% drop in mileage. I just won't use it any longer.

Thats funny because ethanol is a solvent essentially. It burns a lot cleaner than straight gasoline does. Im guessing thr issues you had had nothing to do with the e85.
I have ran 2 tanks of E85. We go from 20 to 21 mpg's to 17 mpg's. I dont run it because the price difference doesnt justify it, it is only 10 to 20 % cheaper here which doesnt make up the difference you lose in fuel economy.

champagneinhand 12-09-2013 10:44 AM

Ethanol and methanol are solvents, where in lies some of the problem as there are gaskets through the system. They are supposed to be the chemical resistant kind but since E85 is so much EtOH it does pull more of the plastic molecules through the engine. The car was a 2011 Regal Turbo. After many device trips over the 2.5 years running EtOH and calls to GM headquarters, Buick said better to run high Octane 93, and avoid the E85 all together. Its not that much less expensive here either, though sometimes it can be, as it all depends on the station. Mobil is the one that carries E85 most often, but now some Sunoco are carrying it as well. I figured with the amount of heavy duty industrial type solvents needed there was no benefit from the E85. I did run it for much longer than 1 or 2 tanks, as I had done that multiple times on my older GMC envoy. The chromed exhaust tips on the Regal were dark black after only 2 years using the E85. It may have been the fuel portion of the blend or it may have pulled a little oil into the combustion, but I never lost any measurable oil between oil changes, so I can't really think it was oil putting out the dirtier exhaust. There was no noticeable color change in the exhaust, just the serious gunk on the exhaust tips. Never had seen that before on any other exhaust other than diesels. I have used alcohol stoves for camping and straight methanol works very nicely without to much blackening of the pans, but that is a very short amount of exposure when comparing what an internal combustion engine uses.

kkreit01 12-09-2013 11:30 AM

There's only 1 station near me, and it's only 19 cents cheaper than regular 87 (E10). I can't see how anyone buys it?