Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Terra Grapplers VS Wild Peaks

9K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  GiggityGiggity 
#1 ·
Narrowed down the purchase decision to the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Falken Wild Peaks. Looking for feedback on these tires if anyone can share.

Needs:
All season All terrain tire
75% road use 25% light off road use
Good in the snow, mud and dirt but equally at home on the pavement

Vehicle will be used mostly during the winter months, some early spring and late fall, occasional use in the summer.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Check out Tire Rack review ratings. You can focus on tires by type such as AT's, all-season, or winter depending upon your preferences.

For instance, below link is survey ratings for on/off road AT category:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

I'm prolly going with the Firestone Destination AT for winter and light trail with decent road use getting there. Local Firestone dealer equals or beats Tire Rack prices, they quoted $164 a corner for my 18" setup.

#6 ·
Thanks, I've been using tirerack among other resources but tirerack only tests the brands they carry and I also noticed they dont carry all of the models for the manufacturers they distribute for. I use their tests as base line before I ask around on forums like this. The one thing about the AT tires tire rack sells, most of them arent very aggressive, they more of an OEM style tire. I'm looking for something with a more aggressive tread pattern and sidewall. Something like a MT but blends HWY drive ability and offers mileage ratings which most MT tires wont. I thought the Falkens were a perfect compromise.

I found two more tires in my research last night that tirerack doesnt carrry:

Cooper ZEON LTZ and the Hankook Dynapro RF10ATM

Both look like a great blend of what I'm looking for and individual reviews seem decent, people seem to really really love the Hankook especially for the snow. I found that on Discounttire.com but cant find any real life comparo testing on either the Cooper or the Hankook.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d.../byName.do?tmn=DynaPro+ATM+RF10&typ=Truck/SUV

http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_suv.aspx?page=zeon_ltz

both of those tires are similar to the falkens tread pattern and wear characteristics.

#8 ·
BAH! I just found out they dont make the coopers in 245/65/17 :mad:

Any comments on the Hankook Dynapro ATMs?

I found another tire made by Kelly which is essentially a Goodyear division, it's called a Trail Mark Max. Any comment on this tire?

I really like the looks of the Kelly Safari ATR but again, does not come in my size.

On a side note, if I wanted to go with a "bigger" tire on my WJ, lets say like a 33X12.50R17 I would probably need to get into regearing and a suspension lift to make these work correct? Any advice on upsizing while still maintain the factory 17" wheels and suspension? I might look at this as an alternative to the 245s.

#9 ·
These will read like commercials sometimes, but four wheeler is typically biased against AT tire setups. Sounds very favorable.

The Ford truck guys also seem to swear by these or the TG's.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...hankook_dynapro_atm_rf10_tire_test/index.html

Some of the other more experienced WJ guys will have to chime in on the sizing questions, but I thought you had more leeway to upsize slightly than the latest model rigs?

#10 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Just a little tid bit, Nitto Tires are mand/owned by Toyo Tires and the Terra Grappler is essentially the Toyo Open Country AT. Both are good tires. (i work at a tire dealer)

245/70/17 265/65/17 255/65/17 235/70/17 235/75/17 all fit on a stock wk with stock wheels.

The Hancook Dynapro ATM RF10 is a great tire and great price for what you get. We sell a ton of those.

#13 ·
Thanks, I'm in a WJ though, sorry for the confusion. The guys at discount tell me the same thing about the ATMs but its also a 2 year old tire and has had a chance to prove itself. I believe they are M+S rated are they not? Do you know if the Wild Peaks (aka Rocky Mountains) are M+S rated? I can't seem to find that info on them anywhere. :confused:

#14 ·
Just an update...

I was starting to lean heavily towards the Hankooks only because of all the info on them but when I called Discount they had just sold out so my decision was made for me. Looks like I will be one of the few running the Falken Wild Peaks and I'll be sure to post up some feedback after putting some miles on them.

On a side note, I did a quick search, it appears Falken has a motivator to help sway the decision making process and I've attached that here for your reference....

Can't wait to get these tires so I can reference this pic and lube up those beads before I get ready for mounting. lol

#16 ·
The Hancooks have very well proven them selves They are also M+S rated. The reviews online are great. I dont know anything about wild peaks sorry.

I do know we take off alot of falken tires and customers complain they wear out fast. I would keep searching for the Hancooks, Ebay sells them new as well in sets of 4. Dont give up on a good thing just beacause they dont have them right at the moment.

#18 ·
The Terra Grappler and Open Country AT are great tires but both are only listed as a 30k mile tire and most people with heavier vehicles are only getting about 20k out of them.

Whenever i buy tires i search by many factors. Reviews, personal experience, ratings, If its Mountain Snow Flake rated for severe snow traction, and mileage warranty.

For ex, the Goodyear Wrangler Silent armor, General Grabber AT2 are both aggressive AT tires both M+S rated, Both Mountain Snow flake rated, and both have 60k mile warranties.

You can expect about 40k out of them with an AWD vehicle, and if you think they wore too fast and the tire shop kept your logs of mileage, rotations etc then you can get a pro rated cost on a new set if they dont make it to 60k.

ive also hear alot of people say they these tires have made it to almost 100k when well maintained.

Another good one is the BFG AT KO, its expensive, almost the same tread as the general and its legendary. Also M+S rated, Snow flake rated and though they dont have a mileage warranty they are known for 60k to 100k miles if taken care of.

i pretty much live and breath tires so if you have questions about name brand tires i will help as best i can.

From my experience working at a tire shop, spend the money and buy good well known name brand tires, BFG, Michelin, Hancook, Cooper etc. Everyone who buys the cheap tires always come back complaining about them.

#21 ·
NHWKO5, props to this and your other tire threads, all of which i've tried to read in detail. much appreciated.
Thanks, Tire are my hobby and my work so i try to share as much as i can. I see so many people every day that waste money on cheap tires they end up hating every day so i try to help where i can.

Well thanks all. I pulled the trigger on the Falkens because of availability. I ran falken FK452's on a previous car I used to have. They replaced a set of Toyo T1's that cost almost twice as much and I had no problem with my falkens. In fact, i was hard pressed to notice any major differences between the Toyos and the Falkens other than price so I thought it was worth another shot at the Falkens.
Falkens deff perform, ive just seem them wear fast thats all. As long as you are happy with them thats all that matters. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Well thanks all. I pulled the trigger on the Falkens because of availability. I ran falken FK452's on a previous car I used to have. They replaced a set of Toyo T1's that cost almost twice as much and I had no problem with my falkens. In fact, i was hard pressed to notice any major differences between the Toyos and the Falkens other than price so I thought it was worth another shot at the Falkens.

#23 ·
UPDATE:

Installed the Wild Peaks last night, they look great and drive smooth! I havent put hardly any miles on them yet but much better ride so far then the crappy wranglers that came with the Jeep and the slightly more aggressive tire size (245/65/17) fills the wheel wells nicely and looks like a more beefy tire. So far I'm liking them. Real test will be the weekend.....if we get any rain I try them in the mud.

Prior to that I'll have to replace the rear sway bar end link bolts on the divers side. I snapped them last night when I was replacing the links. LOL To be expected I guess when the Jeep turns 200,000KMs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.