Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Anyone try Upholstering Arm Rest Area on Door Panel?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/anyone-try-upholstering-arm-rest-area-on-door-panel-14377.html)

amarkmtu 10-25-2010 01:11 PM

Anyone try Upholstering Arm Rest Area on Door Panel??

Hey everyone, I want to upholster the arm rest area on the door panels of my WK and was wondering if anyone has attemped this at all? I plan on using black leather to do so.

If anyone has done this mod please let me know because this is the last interior mod I have left to do and I would rather do it myself than take it in to have someone else do it. How hard would it be and hoe much time would it take? Also some pics would be nice.

robpp 10-25-2010 01:42 PM

Re: Anyone try Upholstering Arm Rest Area on Door Panel??

the Center armrest is easy. i had mine done in matching leather. just undo the inner part of the top of the center console make your leather cover. it needs to be tight LOL and then fit the edges under the insert, screw it all back DONE.

the door panels are a bit more involved. .....are all plastic welded together. so you can try it just jamming your stuff in the seams OR if you have some skils take the door apnel off then cut out the piece you want to cover, the epoxy or plastic weld it all abck together.

one guy you might seach on is something line rtiver he did a ton or posted his buds pics IIRC.

Scottina06 10-25-2010 02:03 PM

didnt you paint your dash black or dark slate? I would just buy the 08-10 dark slate door panels with the leather armrest....

amarkmtu 10-25-2010 02:31 PM

Yeah I painted the dash flat black, but I still have the slate/charcoal grey doors and I just want to upholster the charcoal grey section on the upper part of the door panels (what I would call the armrest area). I just want to finish off the two tone look I was going for with the flat black and slate grey all the way around.

robpp 10-25-2010 02:48 PM

for the DOOR ARMREST take off the panel. you will see this armrest is plastic welded in place. you can cut those welds off, add you upholstery, then use epoxy to put it all back together.

StoneCold 10-25-2010 03:23 PM

You should be able to jam the material into place. I've done my doors in Alcantara. I used a flooring adhesive called F13, very strong stuff. If the individual panels on your Jeep come off, then that's the best route overall.

Also what kind of leather are you using? There are several types. I'd test run a piece to see how porous it potentially is. The main advantage you have is leather stretches, but as soon as you stretch it, it will want to bounce back to its original shape. It's fairly easy to do, but get some practice runs in first.