Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   JGC Rear-End collision (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/jgc-rear-end-collision-14380.html)

suprand 10-25-2010 01:49 PM

JGC Rear-End collision

Last night i was on a fairly busy street waiting to make a turn...when a car (Scion) rear ended my 1 month old Overland...nice right? His car was traveling prob 20-30 mph. Anyway, i was pretty pissed when it happened but when I saw that my car took no damage to the paint/body i was relieved. The lower exaust plastic shield was only slightly banged up but is going to be replaced (only a $100 part). Tow package was intact and caused some pretty bad damage to the other car..hood and grill crumbled. So, after playing a crash dummy for a night, I thought I would report to you guys that the JGC can take a hit. Oh and the parking sensors worked just fine afterwards.

GR33N D3M0N 10-25-2010 01:51 PM

Re: JGC Rear-End collision

:eek: pics?? that sucks, even though no major damage was done, it still sucks...

robpp 10-25-2010 01:53 PM

glad to hear everyone is OK

and yeah any pics of the wounds on the Jeep

jpsmith 10-25-2010 01:57 PM

Definitely still have it checked out - there could be damage that's tough to see. The hitch receiver might have been pushed into the frame a bit, for instance.

Scottina06 10-25-2010 02:04 PM

DEF. have a good body shop check it out!

whatevrworks 10-25-2010 02:40 PM

have a body shop check everything to ensure nothing framewise is bent anywhere. AND have a jeep dealer check it over to make sure nothing mechanical is damaged in any way, you never know something as simple as rear wheels being out of alignment could have happened because of this. Anything damaged will be paid for by his insurance anyways so better to find out now than down the road. Glad to hear the crappy scion lost the battle!

**ALSO** many bumpers have a foam/styrofoam material under the cover they use to absorb impact and many insurance and body shops will want this replaced because usually their ability to absorb more that one real impact is greatly decreased after the material is compressed in a collision.

blackpepper 10-25-2010 02:40 PM

And the JG curse continues.. those tow hitches are tanks. I took a hit leaving a football game and it pierced a hole in the bumper of a late model chevy.. not a scratch on the ol' WK

topsailstar 10-25-2010 02:41 PM

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

bh22jeep 10-25-2010 04:06 PM

Rear hitch is bolted to the rear rails check to see if they moved at all, look for witness marks.

Lingohocken 10-25-2010 04:33 PM

How did the active head restraints work? Whiplash is the stuff of lawyer jokes, but can be much more than a mere pain in the neck, especially as the years go by.

suprand 10-25-2010 05:04 PM

Ill look into it more w/ the body shop, from getting underneath the vehicle and looking at it, looked fine. The collision happened pretty quickly, didnt really notice anything (no pain or whiplash), I was a little mad to say the least the seconds after it happened so wasnt really paying attention. there was probably 10 yards between the two vehicles after the collision so i assume i let go of the brake at impact (maybe it lessened the impact i dont know).

Steve52 10-25-2010 05:05 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are ok!