Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Day time running lights (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/day-time-running-lights-14400.html)

vnbWK2 10-25-2010 10:40 PM

Day time running lights

I noticed I don't have daytime running lights on my Laredo E. I thought that was a mandatory standard on all new cars a few years ago?

jonesark 10-25-2010 10:46 PM

Re: Day time running lights

I don't think so....at least my 2007 doesn't.

robpp 10-25-2010 11:31 PM

not in the US.

Scottina06 10-25-2010 11:47 PM

only Jeeps with the HID's get them in the US

White Chocolate 10-25-2010 11:56 PM

Gotta love Canada, we get em all the time. Big inconvienece actually

parker 10-26-2010 08:38 AM

They are required by law in Canada. The main reason we get them on cars in the US is because a manufacturer doesn't want to have two different systems to stock and install. GM was the first to do this and advertised it as a safty feature when in actuality they were just saving money by not having two different light switches and harnesses.

Personally I hate the things.

whatevrworks 10-26-2010 08:46 AM

Yeah they suck. I am swapping mine out with LED bulbs so at least they don't look so nasty yellow.

Stroked & Blown 10-26-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 290884)
Yeah they suck. I am swapping mine out with LED bulbs so at least they don't look so nasty yellow.

I'm interested in doing this, too.
Please post pics after the swap & let us know which bulbs you used.

parker 10-26-2010 08:51 AM

I know on most GM vehicles that if you depress the parking brake pedal one notch it will turn off the DRL's and not illuminate the brake light.

On the new GM P/U trucks there is a way to turn them off with the light switch. I wish the Jeep had this or some way to permanently de-activate them.

whatevrworks 10-26-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown (Post 290885)
I'm interested in doing this, too.
Please post pics after the swap & let us know which bulbs you used.

I will post pics and bulb info as soon asthey are in. Supposed to be shipping today or tomorrow so hope to have them by Monday.

I used to have a couple of gm vehicles that had an override switch near the headlight knob but no such luck here. I guess the bulbs could just be removed to solve the problem but I don't like the idea of having open bulb sockets like that which may cause issues down the line.

Red G8R 10-26-2010 09:04 AM

I read another thread (do a search) that specified the exact fuse to pull to deactivate DRL.
I personally like them and studies have shown their safety benefits. I also prefer full lights on all arround and just not the fronts....just my personal preference.

bpmcgee 10-26-2010 10:00 AM

I don't think the safety benefits outweigh the increased fuel usage. Especially on vehicles like this that have automatic headlights.