Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   "Poor" rating for emergency maneuver (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/poor-rating-for-emergency-maneuver-14441.html)

rdalcanto 10-26-2010 10:22 PM

"Poor" rating for emergency maneuver

I thought this warranted its own thread. Started in the review thread after CR rated the WK2 as "Poor" in emergency maneuver type handling. Other cars like the Highlander, and Cx9 have an "Average" rating. I don't have the magazine issue, and don't know what model of the WK2 they tested. I also don't know if it makes a difference if it is a WK2 with springs vs QL at the Sport setting, or if the CG is lower with skid plates on.

Scottina06 10-26-2010 11:02 PM

Re: "Poor" rating for emergency maneuver

the highlander and CX9 are more crossovers IMO

rdalcanto 10-26-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 291310)
the highlander and CX9 are more crossovers IMO

Totally agree. Not really in the same class as the WK2, 4 Runner, Pathfinder, Taureg, FJ, and Wrangler. I would love to see how all the above did in that same emergency maneuver test. I would think that the WK2 is better than previous Grand Cherokee models. Anyone know how previous models did in that test?

Lingohocken 10-27-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 291320)
Totally agree. Not really in the same class as the WK2, 4 Runner, Pathfinder, Taureg, FJ, and Wrangler. I would love to see how all the above did in that same emergency maneuver test. I would think that the WK2 is better than previous Grand Cherokee models. Anyone know how previous models did in that test?

Depending on the tires used, the prior version's V8 did either average @51.5 mph or fair @47.5 mph. The 6 did fair @48 mph. They don't provide skid pad g figures.

Some other figures are in the original "tests" thread, but the Wrangler scored poor @46 mph.

Sid Fields 10-27-2010 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 291285)
I thought this warranted its own thread. Started in the review thread after CR rated the WK2 as "Poor" in emergency maneuver type handling. Other cars like the Highlander, and Cx9 have an "Average" rating. I don't have the magazine issue, and don't know what model of the WK2 they tested. I also don't know if it makes a difference if it is a WK2 with springs vs QL at the Sport setting, or if the CG is lower with skid plates on.

From CR's website. This may be what you are referring to. They tested a LaredoV6. It had the Michelin Latitudes on so it must have had the Off Road Package.

"Handling: The Grand Cherokee feels responsive in ordinary driving even when hustled. It corners with well-contained body lean. Steering is nicely weighted with decent feedback, and helps the Jeep feel stable at speed. Some drivers wished for more on-center feel, however. A relatively good 40-foot turning circle helps with parking and tight maneuvers. At the track, the Grand Cherokee reached its limits early due to mediocre tire grip but exhibited a balanced, predictable behavior at the track. It was disconcerting in our double lane-change avoidance maneuver. In several runs, it tended to slide and hop sideways, limiting its speed through the avoidance maneuver and sapping drivers' confidence despite the standard ESC. We are testing a V8 version to see whether or not it demonstrates the same trait."

robpp 10-27-2010 07:38 AM

cancel all the orders............a high sitting 4WD vehicle did POOR in evasive manuevers.

comon

GR33N D3M0N 10-27-2010 08:10 AM

^^:lol:

Angel 10-27-2010 08:28 AM

Did they test the Laredo V6 4x2 or 4x4? Do you guys have the link to the CR report? Can't find it. Thanks.

parker 10-27-2010 08:50 AM

I autocross and amatuer road race regularly. This sounds like tire more than vehicle 100%. In any handling test your tires play the second "most" important part. The first "most" important is driver. Any one who professionally tests cars should be aware of this.

The "skittering" was caused by the tire momentarily loosing and regaining traction due to being at the edge of it's traction envelope. Sliding is definetly the limitations of the tire. This is a reflection on the tire choice which they are trying to blame the vehicle.
I have had tire choice make up to a 10 second difference in an autocross lap and up to 20 seconds on the road course.

Lingohocken 10-27-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker (Post 291423)
I autocross and amatuer road race regularly. This sounds like tire more than vehicle 100%. In any handling test your tires play the second "most" important part. The first "most" important is driver. Any one who professionally tests cars should be aware of this.

The "skittering" was caused by the tire momentarily loosing and regaining traction due to being at the edge of it's traction envelope. Sliding is definetly the limitations of the tire. This is a reflection on the tire choice which they are trying to blame the vehicle.
I have had tire choice make up to a 10 second difference in an autocross lap and up to 20 seconds on the road course.

Well, the tire they used is what comes with the truck, after all, so they can hardly be faulted.

But you're likely correct that the tire is the culprit. So much emphasis is now being made on low rolling resistance to keep Washington politicos happy that the more vital functions a tire is supposed to perform are getting hind teat.

Hopefully the V8 they're currently testing is an Overland with different (20") tires. (The earlier tester was the Laredo 4WD V6 with Michelin Latitude Tour P265/60R18 109T.)

rdalcanto 10-27-2010 10:50 AM

What is the ride height/ground clearance on the non-QL WK2?

moosehead 10-27-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 291413)
cancel all the orders............a high sitting 4WD vehicle did POOR in evasive manuevers.

comon

^this, +1

Rather than: "it's the tires". No doubt the 20's with sticky rubber would do better on evasive maneuvers, either that or at speed they would pole vault the SUV into a rollover.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=18&type=CSTAS

I'm more concerned with CR's recent quality ratings which still has Chrysler and Jeep at or near the bottom. That said, I'm already betting that the 2011 JGC can change that rating.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...reliable-cars/