Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Quality Control Process (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/quality-control-process-14451.html)

whatevrworks 10-27-2010 08:52 AM

Quality Control Process

So does anyone with real insider knowledge have any information on the Quality Control process? As far as I know the 3rd party contracted company where the vehicles go to "storage" is where QC is done. They also arrange transport and rail movement. Does anyone know what exactly is checked and how problems are supposed to be resolved?

I love my new wk2 but there does appear to be a bunch of silly stupid issues making it through QC. I know issues are always to be expected when cranking out hundreds of vehicles a week especially with a new model. I would just like to know the details of what is checked and how it is checked.

Thanks

JoeSchmoe007 10-27-2010 09:04 AM

Re: Quality Control Process

Yeah, I am also really curious. Are cars being driven at all during QA? At highway speed? How much time is allotted for QA?

I would make it mandatory to drive all new cars 100-200 miles during QA. Half of that distance at highway speed. I wouldn't mind if this caused some price increase.

Lingohocken 10-27-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatevrworks (Post 291425)
So does anyone with real insider knowledge have any information on the Quality Control process? As far as I know the 3rd party contracted company where the vehicles go to "storage" is where QC is done. They also arrange transport and rail movement. Does anyone know what exactly is checked and how problems are supposed to be resolved?

I love my new wk2 but there does appear to be a bunch of silly stupid issues making it through QC. I know issues are always to be expected when cranking out hundreds of vehicles a week especially with a new model. I would just like to know the details of what is checked and how it is checked.

Thanks

Which silly stupid issues have you encountered?

topsailstar 10-27-2010 10:26 AM

My cruise control button on the steering wheel does not work, and the signal control stalk seems really clunky when I try and signal left only. Jeep is going in the garage tomorrow to have it looked at. Other than this, I would prefer it to the Mercedes it replaced.

wk2overland 10-27-2010 10:34 AM

i have a feeling the cars aren't driven at all in QC... mine had 1 mile on it when i got it.

JoeSchmoe007 10-27-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wk2overland (Post 291474)
i have a feeling the cars aren't driven at all in QC... mine had 1 mile on it when i got it.

Yeah, I know it is usually like that and they are probably not driven. I don't think this is right - it would cost Chrysler much less to fix a lot of issues right at the factory. IMO. On the other hand maybe it is the other way around - maybe factory workflow just isn't well setup for this and it is more cost-efficient just pump them out with "light" QC and have dealers fix them later.

Marlon_JB2 10-27-2010 10:53 AM

Issues DO get fixed at the factory. I've fixed a few issues myself.

Oh, and THOUSANDS are made per week, not hundreds.

whatevrworks 10-27-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 291468)
Which silly stupid issues have you encountered?

Well to go through the issues in the troubleshooting thread:

Missing exterior trim
Inop nav systems
Missing exhausts brackets and clamps
Trim not lined up inside or interior panels not lined up
Leather dash peeling back
Inop or sticking buttons on radio, nava, steering wheel
Rattling sunroofs
Inop power seats

Basically a variety of minor stupid things. Nothing really super big other than my water leaking issues and the guys jeep that lost all the coolant because an improper clamp. But sure there are a lot more since the percentage of jeep owners out there who are not posting here is pretty huge.

whatevrworks 10-27-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 (Post 291478)
Issues DO get fixed at the factory. I've fixed a few issues myself.

Oh, and THOUSANDS are made per week, not hundreds.

I'm not criticizing Chrysler or any of their contractors. Or saying everything should be 100 percent of the time since **THOUSANDS** of vehicles are being built. I am just curious of the process.

rdalcanto 10-27-2010 11:07 AM

I understand the frustration. They probably operate each switch once, and call it good. Electronics usually fail quickly if they are going to fail, but probably not until we have used is a few times. They would pick up a few more things if they drove each car 100-200 miles and used everything a bunch of times, but that is never going to happen. You should see how angry people get on the RV forums. Nothing like spending $200-500K on a Motorhome from a reputable manufacturer, and having to take it in after every trip for the first year as you, the buyer, does all the quality control while on your camping trips.

parker 10-27-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 291486)
I understand the frustration. They probably operate each switch once, and call it good. Electronics usually fail quickly if they are going to fail, but probably not until we have used is a few times. They would pick up a few more things if they drove each car 100-200 miles and used everything a bunch of times, but that is never going to happen. You should see how angry people get on the RV forums. Nothing like spending $200-500K on a Motorhome from a reputable manufacturer, and having to take it in after every trip for the first year as you, the buyer, does all the quality control while on your camping trips.

Amen to that one! I paid close to 200K for my motorhome (stickered for well over 300, bought when the market was "dead" in 2009) and it took a year to get it completely debugged.

The auto manufacturers are much quicker to repair faults and have fewer of them. We always hear about someone with a problem but there are also thousands we don't hear from. The people without problems or trouble go about enjoying their vehicle happily with nothing to report.

Now if every person on here taking delivery of their new jeep had an issue , that's a different story.

Personally I'd rather have my "new" car with 1-10 miles on it. If your job was to put 100 miles on each new unit, think of the abuse these drivetrains would recieve, in the name of speeding up production or staying on schedule. No thanks, I'll take it fresh and deal with my service department through warranty on any shortcomings. This way I know what has gone wrong and it's repair process.

Lingohocken 10-27-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 291486)

There's no excuse for crappy switches. All switches are MTBF (mean time between failure) specced by the manufacturer. So if a switch is failure-prone, either a low-spec switch was picked or the switch manufacturer's MTBF rating was not credible.

Although in principle a switch that feels cheap can still be reliable, in practice they usually have a high failure rate because the housed components are cheap, too. In short, whoever picked the GC's interior switches headed for the bottom drawer.