Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Antenna too tall ..??!? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/antenna-too-tall-14458.html)

RenegadeNY 10-27-2010 01:08 PM

Antenna too tall ..??!?

I've seen some messages about the antenna and I just want to add that mine scrapes the garage door entering/exiting. Now I havent seen how high or low up it catches it but I get a 'booooiiiinnng' as I go through.

I know its got some flex so I'm wondering if theres any harm in it doing the 'boooinnggg' each time.

I would certainly like to replace it with a shorter one.
I havent looked at the threading yet, but I imagine those massive stores like Strauss, Pep Boys, etc.. might have various screw-in replacements assuming the screw is the same size.

Scottina06 10-27-2010 03:05 PM

Re: Antenna too tall ..??!?

do you have a real early build 2011? If so...they went to a shorter antenna shortly after production started

Nbtstatic 10-27-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 291634)
do you have a real early build 2011? If so...they went to a shorter antenna shortly after production started

I'm not sure how early that could've been, because I just noticed from the dealer pics my Overland with quadra-lift has the tall antenna.

I need to see what it would take to get the smaller one swapped out, thats going to hit my garage door.

NB

azzolij 10-27-2010 03:40 PM

I've been driving mine in and out of my garage for 3 weeks and the antenna is
as straight as it was at delivery.

moosehead 10-27-2010 03:54 PM

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...ight=shark+fin

Nbtstatic 10-27-2010 09:35 PM

Does anyone know if the two antenna styles are interchangable simply by screwing on/off, or if the bases are also different?

thx

azcats2 10-27-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeNY (Post 291567)
I've seen some messages about the antenna and I just want to add that mine scrapes the garage door entering/exiting. Now I havent seen how high or low up it catches it but I get a 'booooiiiinnng' as I go through.

I know its got some flex so I'm wondering if theres any harm in it doing the 'boooinnggg' each time.

I would certainly like to replace it with a shorter one.
I havent looked at the threading yet, but I imagine those massive stores like Strauss, Pep Boys, etc.. might have various screw-in replacements assuming the screw is the same size.

i have same problem. my garage was built in early 1970's and the clearance is 6'2". Antenna scrapes the top...makes me sick to hear the sound. also, even though i know the top of my car is well below the top of the garage, i drive EXTREMELY slow. haha. people behind me hate it.

bh22jeep 10-27-2010 09:39 PM

If you have QL put it in park and lower the car before you drive in the Garage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 291656)
I'm not sure how early that could've been, because I just noticed from the dealer pics my Overland with quadra-lift has the tall antenna.

I need to see what it would take to get the smaller one swapped out, thats going to hit my garage door.

NB

azcats2 10-27-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh22jeep (Post 291911)
If you have QL put it in park and lower the car before you drive in the Garage.

i thought about this. so it is okay to drive while in the park setting? that is good to know.

bh22jeep 10-27-2010 09:42 PM

Yeh if you start driving to fast it will automatically raise.

Technosavant 10-27-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azcats2 (Post 291912)
i thought about this. so it is okay to drive while in the park setting? that is good to know.

Keep it under 15mph and you're fine. I usually hit the park mode button before I pull into my driveway; by the time I get into my garage it's done lowering. I don't need the clearance, but I do have a short wife. :D

darkrt 10-28-2010 09:23 AM

www.cravenspeed.com is working on a stubby antenna for JGC. Give them your e-mail and they will notify you when its ready.