Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Alpine Sound System (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/alpine-sound-system-14463.html)

1S1K 10-27-2010 03:20 PM

Alpine Sound System

For everyone who has the Alpine Sound System.....well, how does it sound?!?!? Does it blow you away, or its just decent!! Anybody think by changing out just the speakers that it would sound much better?

moosehead 10-27-2010 03:28 PM

Re: Alpine Sound System

In test drives the Alpine sounded reasonably great, especially for a stock system.

If any upgrades, I'm leaning towards the head unit, burlier amps, and a larger subwoofer. The Alpine speakers sounded good. YMMV.

I have a double DIN Alpine in our boat, and IMO it's one of the best for sound quality, multiple source inputs, and kick arse ipod controls.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/iva-w505p1

chibianh 10-27-2010 03:31 PM

I came from Acura with their ELS sound system by Panasonic and that was by far the best sounding stock system I've heard. The Jeep's Alpine system is good, but not as good as the ELS in the Acura.

paui4m 10-27-2010 03:43 PM

I really think this depends on what you are comparing it to and what your standards are.

From owning previous Jeeps and other non-luxury brands, I am quite please with how this thing sounds (and the overall feature set)

jeep2011 10-27-2010 04:56 PM

Harmon Kardon systems sound better, but it is really good in the jeep. Doesn't sound like surround sound to me though.

DavidB 10-27-2010 06:50 PM

Im coming from a Escalade with a bose system so I am alittle flat on the Alpine. Its OK but thinking about upgrading the sub but that would be it. I am really not interested in changing out a complete system in a new vehicle.

jeep2011 10-27-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidB (Post 291774)
Im coming from a Escalade with a bose system so I am alittle flat on the Alpine. Its OK but thinking about upgrading the sub but that would be it. I am really not interested in changing out a complete system in a new vehicle.

Really? I thought the bose sucked ass in the escalades. It was a big disappointment to me considering bose normally has great systems. The bose system in my CLK was much better so I was really let down in the GM vehicles.

1S1K 10-27-2010 08:06 PM

I know it's an eight inch sub, I just wonder how much room there is for an aftermarket eight inch. Im sure they are a little larger than what comes stock.

Technosavant 10-27-2010 10:14 PM

Honestly, it isn't quite as great as I'd expected, but then, I had high expectations. For a stock system it's pretty good (my wife's Acura also has the ELS system; it has a bit more clarity but it isn't all that and a bag of chips). In order to improve upon the stock system I imagine I'd have to drop some serious cash, and it just isn't worth that to me. If I want to spend a couple thou on a system, I'll be dropping it into my home theater, not a vehicle.

c_nall 10-27-2010 10:38 PM

If you want the sound as good as these guys are saying, you will need to upgrade your tweeters as well as the mids and the components and add some more so its like surround sound.

BUT Alpine deffinitely kicks ass. Im im on my second type r 12" right now because my buddy's skateboard messed up the rubber, and it still works, im about to sell it to somebody tommorrow. But its worked super wel and has excellent sound. Im about to buy an Alpine amp. and my friend has an alpine single din head unit in his RSX-s with the Bose amp bypassed with an Alpine type r 12" in a ported. His sounds WAY better than mine though since i havent done the other speakers yet.

Kev- 10-27-2010 11:40 PM

Name-branded factory sound systems are often not as good as aftermarket systems from the same brand.

One thing I am curious about: how could I go about making the sound system top-notch in a GC equipped with the 730N? I'd want to keep the factory-integrated feel and function of the 730N, but with great sound quality. I wonder if it has a digital output, or any high SNR out or pre-out that can be piped to a good amp driving nice speakers.

On the other hand, maybe it sounds good enough without an upgrade. How does the 430N/730N & regular sound system sound to you guys? My previous vehicle is a 2004 VW Jetta with the upgraded Monsoon sound system. It sounded "great" for a stock mid-grade sedan's system, better than any other factory sound system I've heard (haven't heard the really expensive ones). If it's at least that good, then I won't need to expend a bunch of effort upgrading it.

moosehead 11-07-2010 09:50 AM

Bump.

Anyone pulled the stock Alpine speakers/sub for a look or considered a new head unit? Wondering if OEM speakers have downgraded parts and magnets?