Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Xenon headlight and SmartBeam (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/xenon-headlight-and-smartbeam-14499.html)

JEEPSRT 10-28-2010 02:15 PM

Xenon headlight and SmartBeam

New comer to this board. Love the new Grand Cherokee. Thinking about getting an Overland 4x4 with V8 and Offroad adventure package II.

Can anyone comment on the Xenon headlight and the SmartBeam.

Is the Xenon low beam bright? The Xenon light brightness varies from brand to brand. My impression is that BMW and Nissan Murano are relatively brighter than some of the others. How does the new WK2 compare to the above two?

In addition, how do you like the SmartBeam? Does it work well?

Red G8R 10-28-2010 02:22 PM

Re: Xenon headlight and SmartBeam

Compared to my other cars with Xenons, they seem equally bright and good. They are self-leveling and are Bi-Xenon. The SmartBeam suppose to automatically switch to high beam with no oncomiing cars plus poor ambient light, but I have yet to see this happen.

JEEPSRT 10-28-2010 02:27 PM

Do you need to turn on the SmartBeam feature? Or it will be on automatically if you switch to highbeam?

KarlG 10-28-2010 02:32 PM

Smart Beam works flawlessly in an '08 WK (same system) unless there is heavy rain or fog in which case it tends to not kick into high automatically or to auto dim. Another system limitation is that highly reflective, large, road signs bounce enough light back to the sensor to cause the auto dim to kick on. The system seems to work better than the same set up in cars which, i suspect, may be due to the sensor location being in a higher position from the ground.

Simple answer, the xenons are good and the Smart Beam works.

JEEPSRT 10-28-2010 02:38 PM

:thumbsup:
I like the answer. Thanks!

Technosavant 10-28-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG (Post 292166)

Simple answer, the xenons are good and the Smart Beam works.

This.

I've found that bright porch lights tend to trigger the deactivation of the brights when driving through residential neighborhoods, but it's actually pretty good at discerning the difference between vehicle headlights and streetlights or other point sources.

You can activate this feature in the EVIC or turn it off if you don't want it. I have it activated.

whatevrworks 10-28-2010 02:54 PM

Great bright bi-xenon. The smartbeam works ok. You have to activate it by pushing that stick forward and a message on the evic will say whether its on or off. I do like it although sometimes reflectors and things on the side of the road trick it into thinking a car is approaching and will turn the highbeams off.

BEERnALE 10-28-2010 03:27 PM

I have found that it works nearly flawlessly on the highway. I have had only two instances where highly reflective signs caused the high beams to auto-dim.

However, I also do some back road driving here in Central, PA, and have had more issues with auto-dimming than I like (and not dimming when approaching peds).

For me, I only enable when I’m highway driving. Easy to do with the EVIC.

paui4m 10-28-2010 05:18 PM

x2 - it's great on back roads, but really switches easily/quickly at ANY light.
It can sometimes go back and forth quite a bit depending on what I feel is very little light ....

RMac 10-28-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPSRT (Post 292161)
Do you need to turn on the SmartBeam feature? Or it will be on automatically if you switch to highbeam?

There's a setting for it in the EVIC. I think mine was defaulted to "on."

It works well. Surprised me the first couple of times the SmartBeam turned on though. Definitely works as advertised. Between those, and the rain-sensing wipers, I barely have to switch anything on myself anymore!

rafaelz 07-18-2011 02:02 PM

Bringing an old thread back to life...

I usually tend to flash the head lights for safety reasons while driving and realized that despite the Smartbeam system being VERY smart, there is one thing that I dislike: When the system is active (and that stick is pushed forward) and I quickly try to flash the head lights (by PULLING the stick), it just wonīt flash. I have to pull the stick twice to make it work. Does the same thing happen to you?

Another interesting thing is that the system only activates the high beam when itīs really dark. It "knows" that we donīt need the high beam on late afternoon for example.

towtruckted 07-18-2011 02:38 PM

1) I don't find the Jeep's xenons quite as clear as my past Mini Cooper. But, they're not bad. Much better than the '07 Wrangler.

2) I'm disappointed with the smart beam feature - it doesn't think like I do. I deactivated it and it's probably not too happy with me either.