Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Picking mine up tomorrow - what should I pay attention to? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/picking-mine-up-tomorrow-what-should-i-pay-attention-to-14503.html)

JoeSchmoe007 10-28-2010 03:29 PM

Picking mine up tomorrow - what should I pay attention to?

I am picking mine up tomorrow morning.

What should I pay attention to other than all things should be working and paint condition (I doubt I will detect paint problems unless they are obvious)?

Technosavant 10-28-2010 03:39 PM

Re: Picking mine up tomorrow - what should I pay attention to?

Just look it over for items that were installed poorly or left off (mine is missing a rubber bumper on the front passenger door- should be easy enough to get another one).

Oh, and DEMAND that they ensure the muffler bearings were installed properly. Don't take no for an answer.

JoeSchmoe007 10-28-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 292226)
Just look it over for items that were installed poorly or left off (mine is missing a rubber bumper on the front passenger door- should be easy enough to get another one).

Oh, and DEMAND that they ensure the muffler bearings were installed properly. Don't take no for an answer.

You almost got me with muffler bearings :D Google is my friend

jonesark 10-28-2010 04:09 PM

haha

jeep2011 10-28-2010 04:14 PM

Pay close attention to the paint. There are numerous issues especially with trash being stuck in the paint.

JoeSchmoe007 10-28-2010 04:15 PM

Get this, Techno (it could be a double prank for all I know):

"Contrary to popular belief, muffler bearings do exist, just ask your local dodge stealth or mitsubisi gt3000 owner. Although a popular prank to pull on the not so automotive savy muffler bearings are located inside the muffler, in order to operate a flap which opens and closes depending on the exhaust flow directing flow back into the turbo. Due to inconvienience (carbon/other buildup often jammed the bearings causing noise and poor performance) the bearings are only found on older models."

Technosavant 10-28-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 292256)
Get this, Techno (it could be a double prank for all I know):

"Contrary to popular belief, muffler bearings do exist, just ask your local dodge stealth or mitsubisi gt3000 owner. Although a popular prank to pull on the not so automotive savy muffler bearings are located inside the muffler, in order to operate a flap which opens and closes depending on the exhaust flow directing flow back into the turbo. Due to inconvienience (carbon/other buildup often jammed the bearings causing noise and poor performance) the bearings are only found on older models."

I know there was that little feature on the 3000GT VR4- you hit a switch, you get less backpressure in the exhaust system. Methinks they didn't understand their market- the folks buying those cars didn't give a rip about the noise, they may as well have just saved the money and complexity and gone with the freer flowing exhaust from the get-go.

paui4m 10-28-2010 05:05 PM

There's been some confusion on the radios too. Mine was shipped without a NAV unit, for instance.

moosehead 10-28-2010 05:29 PM

Make sure you get those cabbie beads anchored and wear proper clothing, otherwise you'll end up with a Brazilian wax.

Whoohooo, congrats Joe!

nek121328 10-28-2010 05:43 PM

Well, confirm the muffler bearings have grease fittings and a life time warranty.

moosehead 10-28-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 292288)
Well, confirm the muffler bearings have grease fittings and a life time warranty.

^+1 nice call.

Don't forget rubbing compound and an orbital sander to buff out all those scratches.

Knightrider03m 10-28-2010 06:18 PM

When I picked up my car, I test drove it, looked over the outside, inside, and the engine area after I drove it to make sure everything was OK. I even checked all of the lights and bulbs to see if they worked. Then I signed the paperwork :D