Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   The V6 only have a single exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/the-v6-only-have-a-single-exhaust-14505.html)

JEEPSRT 10-28-2010 03:56 PM

The V6 only have a single exhaust

Why a 3.6 L engine only has one exhaust? Look at the Nissan Altima, it has a 2.5 I4 but it is equipped with a dual exhaust! Do they understand that the number of the exhaust is not only functional but also cosmetic ;)?

JoeSchmoe007 10-28-2010 04:06 PM

Re: The V6 only have a single exhaust

Yeah, and left-to right weight distribution is all wrong

robpp 10-28-2010 04:21 PM

i havent looked under the wk2 but on the wk the exhaust is forced to run down one side of the frame due to the gas tank. then the spare tire is in the way to make a dual outlet. my guess is its the same on the wk2.

Scottina06 10-28-2010 04:44 PM

all these other vehicles you mention I guarantee dont have a dual exhaust. They just split off a single for dual tips

jeepster23 10-28-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 292265)
all these other vehicles you mention I guarantee dont have a dual exhaust. They just split off a single for dual tips

X2

SRTILL8 10-28-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

def X3

in other words... fake.

:sleepy:

moosehead 10-28-2010 05:25 PM

JeepSRT, another consideration if you end up with the V6 is that we may have to ask you to change your handle.

Just sayin.

Bmwister 10-28-2010 05:33 PM

While the V6 only has a single exhaust, the underside is exactly the same as for the Hemi application that runs to two exhaust tips. If you look under the WK2, you can see there is plenty of room to add a second exhaust pipe...easy for a good custom exhaust shop to do it. Of course you'd have to cut or replace that lower part of your rear bumper with the one for the Hemi.

The only problem is that by simply adding a second pipe aft of the muffler split-off you'd affect the overall exhaust pressure which could adversely affect the engine's performance. The 3.6 V6 engine and accompanying computer have been designed assuming that single exhaust at the rear to provide desired backpressure for proper engine operation; it's an exhaust system. If one is still intent on that dual-tip look, a good fabricator can place restrictors in normal diameter (2" or 2.5"?) stock pipes so you get the Hemi dual-exhaust "look" but keep the stock backpressure for the intended single pipe of the V6.

It's part art, part science, but there is definitely room to run dual exhaust pipes off the muffler underneath the WK2. In fact, there is so much room under there I would surmise they have that spot in mind for a battery pack for a future hybrid. Take a look underneath behind the rear bumper and you'll see what I mean about how huge an area it is. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. That extra space COULD have been used to push the spare a bit deeper down to increase the cargo area, but they chose not to because....?

Bmwister 10-28-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

^^^^ Yes sir that's a fact!!

Knightrider03m 10-28-2010 05:58 PM

You can always add it on just like how I added HIDs do my KK lol

jeep2011 10-28-2010 05:58 PM

The hemi is dual exhaust all the way until the massive muffler in the middle then it splits back into two pipes. I do not know if the muffler is split into separate channels inside the housing, but it sure looks to be dual all the way. I have never seen a muffler so large before.

There is plenty of room for exhaust on the WK2 with the independent rear suspension and the spare being located under the cargo area.

iJeep 10-28-2010 06:59 PM

You mean.. 3.7L LOL