Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I first impressions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/laredo-x-v6-4x4-qt-i-first-impressions-14537.html)

JoeSchmoe007 10-29-2010 06:30 PM

Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I first impressions

Today I took delivery of Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I + 430N Nav + Towing package.

Short version: I am completely satisfied, V6 is perfectly fine. There is not a thing that is not working right or broken (so far).

Long version:

Keep in mind I am coming from '98 ZJ (Ltd 4x4 with 5.2L V8). So a lot of things you may be familiar with are completely new to me.

The thing I like the most is ride quality, especially on highway - great improvement from ZJ (ZJ got significantly more noisy at >50 MPH + there was a vibration coming from the rear end). It is smooth and quiet, small bumps on the road are not even felt. Larger bumps are felt but very subdued. However it doesn't have that "floating" feeling, connection with road is good and steering is responsive.

V6 is really quiet. When you step on the gas it revs up fast and responds without a lag. Even then it is not really loud and I like that. I only drove for several hours, 1 on highway but I didn't feel at all that engine was lacking power or acceleration when it was asked for.

This all causes unexpected problem that I was speeding several times without even noticing. Really have to watch odometer until I get used to it. It is convenient that you can output speed on EVIC.

430N works great. Speech recognition is excellent for radio and CD playback - you say "Elvis radio" and Elvis is in the building! It just doesn't get any better than that!!! I did get lost trying to get from Westbury Jeep to Wantagh Parkway though :D - after following Jill's directions for 10 minutes and just going in circles I had to stop and ask someone.

User interface on 430N radio (not Nav) can be better - they could've used different colors more. It seems that designer was only allowed to use the shades of blue. Also controls could be separated more on the screen.

Audio system IMO is of great quality. Steering wheel audio controls are similar to ZJ and work well.

Seats are comfortable.

The only thing that was wrong was that label on the side of driver door that has all vehicle information was loose - I had to press it to get it to stick again.

Vehicle overall has great feeling. Well designed, pieces fit together without large gaps. Dash material is of great quality, even though it's not leather. A lot of attention to small details (probably Daimler influence).

Minor design issues (also reported by other users here):

1) Sunglass holder is partially reflected in rear view mirror
2) "Chrome" trim around AC vents reflects in outside mirror.

CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE! Even though main EVIC menu said "OK" detailed screen showed pressure to be 37-38, and it is supposed to be 33 (if I recall correctly). This was also mentioned by another owner, this is why I checked it. I will deflate tomorrow and this may improve ride quality even more

One thing I miss: outside mirrors tilting down when in reverse - I thought it was standard or comes with X package. Can anyone clarify that? It would be helpful for parallel parking.

I am still learning all the features. I may do more detailed reviews later.

pattyboy 10-29-2010 06:38 PM

Re: Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I first impressions

HI joe lots of luck i to purchased my overland 3.6 730n tow pkg 9/25 from westbury ,have 1239.miles no issuses either . titling mirrors can be set in your EVIC. i had it inthe overland but turned it off...I also came out of a 98 zj 4.0 126,000 its now the daily driver...again congrads.....pat my tire pressure is 36lbs i have 20s it does go as high as 41 lbs on long trips,,,, check the decal in the d.s. door

moosehead 10-29-2010 08:24 PM

congrats JS, enjoy! don't be shy with the camera, eh?

JoeSchmoe007 10-29-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 292905)
congrats JS, enjoy! don't be shy with the camera, eh?

I know you want to see that beige bead cover on black leather :lol:

JoeSchmoe007 10-29-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyboy (Post 292851)
my tire pressure is 36lbs i have 20s it does go as high as 41 lbs on long trips,,,, check the decal in the d.s. door

Decal says 33 if I am not mistaken, I will double-check tomorrow morning. I have 18s

moosehead 10-29-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 292912)
I know you want to see that beige bead cover on black leather :lol:

oh yea, you know how i like it.

Nbtstatic 10-29-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 292848)
V6 is really quiet. When you step on the gas it revs up fast and responds without a lag. Even then it is not really loud and I like that. I only drove for several hours, 1 on highway but I didn't feel at all that engine was lacking power or acceleration when it was asked for.

I agree with this Joe. A couple of times when I was driving it the first day, I almost thought the engine died at a stop light. There is really zero vibration or noise in the cabin at idle.

jeep2011 10-29-2010 10:41 PM

I think others might have their outside mirrors facing to far inward. I do not see the reflection at all in my side mirrors.

Knightrider03m 10-29-2010 10:50 PM

No pics of your new ride :smh:

Marlon_JB2 10-30-2010 01:48 AM

Congrats on the new Jeep.

PS: That's not Daimler influence. That's Chrysler, now that they have nothing to do with Daimler influence.

JoeSchmoe007 10-30-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 (Post 293024)
Congrats on the new Jeep.

PS: That's not Daimler influence. That's Chrysler, now that they have nothing to do with Daimler influence.

Well now they don't have anything to do with Daimler but when WK2 was designed I believe they did.

bpmcgee 10-30-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 292848)
One thing I miss: outside mirrors tilting down when in reverse - I thought it was standard or comes with X package. Can anyone clarify that? It would be helpful for parallel parking.

According to Jeep.com, those aren't standard on the Laredo X, but are on the Limited and Overland