Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Strange rattling noise from engine compartment (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/strange-rattling-noise-from-engine-compartment-14540.html)

jvs0302 10-29-2010 07:57 PM

Strange rattling noise from engine compartment

Ive noticed after the last few weeks that when I am under moderate acceleration from a stop, I hear a strange rattling type noise from the engine bay. Its always around 2500 rpms - I have the 3.7L. I installed a K&N intake not too long ago, I never noticed a difference then, but I wonder if it could be from that? There are alot of hose clamps in that kit, everything looks tight but I am going to recheck it this weekend.

Any thoughts?

jvs0302 11-02-2010 10:22 AM

Anyone have any suggestions on what to troubleshoot?

suzieque 11-02-2010 10:32 AM

Re: Strange rattling noise from engine compartment

so if you sit and rev it to 2500rpm do you hear it? or do you have to be driving down the road? how about if you are coasting in neutral and rev it to 2500rpm do you hear it?

jvs0302 11-02-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 294626)
so if you sit and rev it to 2500rpm do you hear it? or do you have to be driving down the road? how about if you are coasting in neutral and rev it to 2500rpm do you hear it?

hi thanks for the reply

if i sit in park and rev the engine, i hear no rattle at all.

but if i am driving under light to moderate acceleration i hear it just over 2500 rpm. also, if i am coasting in neutral and then rev it, i also hear it.

i have no idea what it is, but its pissing me off!! lol :slapfight:

suzieque 11-02-2010 07:43 PM

does the noise go away if you make a left or right turn? if not, I'd guess its exhaust related and look for anything near the exhaust pipe or exhaust manifold, then put the jeep up on ramps with the engine off and give the catalytic converter a smack with a rubber mallet and listen for the rattle, maybe your cat is coming apart inside.

jvs0302 11-02-2010 08:27 PM

great info! will take a listen while making turns tomorrow to see if i still hear the noise. definitely does seem to be exhaust related

suzieque 11-02-2010 08:32 PM

if the sound goes away when making a turn then I'd look at CV joints. not sure what else to suggest, good luck!

Marlin 11-02-2010 08:34 PM

So many things it could be, but most likely a loose heat shield.

B.P.O.D 11-03-2010 02:41 PM

DUDE!!!! i ahd the same issue, it drove me nuts, i would park the car as soon as i hear it and open the hood.

I FINALLY figured it out after a few stops... its the k+n intake... make sure all the bolts are tight. that is what you are hearing at certain rpms! i also have a 3.7 and same intake as you

08Hemi 11-03-2010 03:13 PM

my BWoody intake was making some serious squeaks when i was NOT under throttle and moving...sounded like fawking mice under there...mounting tab was rubbing on the car's mounting location (metal on metal)...SOO a $3 universal rubber grommet and now i am good to go :)

I guess that doesn't help you much, but check the metal on metal...hopefully you can pin-point it, and it seems Irfy had the same issue so it HAS to be an EASY fix if he can do it :)

B.P.O.D 11-03-2010 03:21 PM

suck it bradley!!!

08Hemi 11-03-2010 04:58 PM

pull the little feller out and I'll have at it HAHAHA