Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Oil Change Due? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/oil-change-due-14550.html)

ChrisUCF99 10-30-2010 09:55 AM

Oil Change Due?
 
I have a Laredo X V6. I first changed the oil at 2,500 miles, but replaced with Mobil 1 synthetic. I replaced the oil filter as well with a Mopar filter (can't find anything else out there currently).

Anyway, today I started the car up and it chimed and then displayed the "Oil Change Due" message. I'm currently at 3,525 miles.

Was I supposed to reset something after the oil change I performed? I know the Jeep is supposed to sense when an oil change is due (At least I thought I read that somewhere), but I pulled the dip stick, the oil looks clean and is still full. I can't imagine I need to change the oil after putting another 1,000 miles on...

ChrisUCF99 10-30-2010 10:01 AM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
I just downloaded / read the manual and reset the indicator. If it comes back on then something is up.

whatevrworks 10-30-2010 10:28 AM

Yeah everyone I have talked to is unsure exactly how the computer determines the interval. I have been using the 2nd trip counter to keep track of mileage as well. Our best guess is it is determined from fuel flow and throttle data derived from the computer. Did mine with mobil 1 at 1000 and plane to do at 4k (3000 mile interval) and then get on the 4 miles interval after that. By then everything should be well broken in and a lot less particles in the oil to worry about.

xjman 05-08-2011 04:40 PM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisUCF99 (Post 293092)
I just downloaded / read the manual and reset the indicator. If it comes back on then something is up.

Good for you. I changed the oil for the second time. The first time I reset the message by pumping the brakes.
This time, I tried several times and I am not able to reset it.
Although I tried to change the way I step on the brake pedal, faster slower, before the message appears, after the message appears, turning the ignition off, starting the engine right away, nothing works.
I cannot figure out what I might be doing wrong this time, unless the warning system got screwed up.

RageOfFury 05-08-2011 04:52 PM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xjman (Post 411194)
Good for you. I changed the oil for the second time. The first time I reset the message by pumping the brakes.
This time, I tried several times and I am not able to reset it.
Although I tried to change the way I step on the brake pedal, faster slower, before the message appears, after the message appears, turning the ignition off, starting the engine right away, nothing works.
I cannot figure out what I might be doing wrong this time, unless the warning system got screwed up.

It's the gas pedal you need to press on. Here are the instructions :

The oil change indicator can be reset using the following steps:
1. Turn the ignition key to ON but do not start the engine.
2. Slowly depress the accelerator to the floor and release it three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

xjman 05-08-2011 04:55 PM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by xjman (Post 411194)
Good for you. I changed the oil for the second time. The first time I reset the message by pumping the brakes.
This time, I tried several times and I am not able to reset it.
Although I tried to change the way I step on the brake pedal, faster slower, before the message appears, after the message appears, turning the ignition off, starting the engine right away, nothing works.
I cannot figure out what I might be doing wrong this time, unless the warning system got screwed up.

This is embarrassing, I blame the car of course, not my fault I tellya, I just realized that I am supposed to pump the gas pedal, not the brake pedal.
Somehow I got fixated on the brake pedal. I was doing from memory from the previous oil change. I finally went back to the manual in case I missed something and obviously, I screwed up using the wrong pedal.

xjman 05-08-2011 05:00 PM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 411201)
It's the gas pedal you need to press on. Here are the instructions :

The oil change indicator can be reset using the following steps:
1. Turn the ignition key to ON but do not start the engine.
2. Slowly depress the accelerator to the floor and release it three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

I can't believe I did it. I just figured it out. Thanks.
This is not my proudest moment.:banghead:

pbm317 05-08-2011 08:52 PM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
I just did my first one (V6) at just over 3,000 miles. My dealer threw in a service package when I bought my Jeep, gives me 20 oil changes and 10 tire rotations. I'm assuming my dealer reset the sensor. We'll find out, if it goes off soon.

ohnoesaz 05-08-2011 10:04 PM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
Maybe I'm a little baby but I would never trust a dealer to do my oil right. My girlfriend once had a Honda, well out of warranty, ruined with oil leaks after a noob dealer tech overfilled the oil.

xjman 05-08-2011 10:15 PM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbm317 (Post 411366)
I just did my first one (V6) at just over 3,000 miles. My dealer threw in a service package when I bought my Jeep, gives me 20 oil changes and 10 tire rotations. I'm assuming my dealer reset the sensor. We'll find out, if it goes off soon.

I wonder if it is possible to reset it before the warning.
My first warning came at about 2700 miles and the second at 8500 miles.
Most likely because of many short trips.
I use synthetic oil but I plan to change it according to the warnings.

AAAA 05-09-2011 08:42 AM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
What a stupid proceedure to reset. My old fleet car simply had a "reset" button to push.

jas32 05-09-2011 09:26 AM

Re: Oil Change Due?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 411552)
What a stupid proceedure to reset. My old fleet car simply had a "reset" button to push.

Maybe they are trying to commonize now, the WK and now WK2 have the same procedure. The previous gen Liberty used the button on the overhead to reset the reminder (of course not every vehicle has an overhead display).

I guess using the gas pedal means no reliance on a button to reset the reminder, thereby even if you don't have a button you can still have the reminder feature (e.g. low line vehicle).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community