Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   DEATH SHAKE!!!!!!! help please (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/death-shake-help-please-14593.html)

josef15111 10-31-2010 12:41 PM

DEATH SHAKE!!!!!!! help please

hey guys gotta question i am getting a horrible death shake whne i hit my brakes around 45 to 65 mph. it dont do it all the time and its not the rotors i beleave my new rotors are a little warpped but not causing my shake proble. this is what i have changed in the past two weeks. all tie rods are changed all four. all four upper and lower ball joints replaced, decent tires bought and new pads up front. the wheel hubs seemed good i still have new ones to put on but i know its not that. if i put the jeep in reverse and roll back a lil bit and smack the brake i can feel the front axle kinda move. dont know how to explane it but i can feel movement and it sue does make me think that the problems is related. could it be the control arm bushings? any input would be great if you need a little video let me know i will take it out an make it do it lol. i would love to get this fixed before the cold cold starts... thanks all for any help.

Joe

GiggityGiggity 10-31-2010 02:26 PM

Re: DEATH SHAKE!!!!!!! help please

cv shafts?

Vinnysrt8 10-31-2010 03:58 PM

i think its ur rotor

StoneCold 10-31-2010 04:03 PM

If you can feel it in your steering wheel too, I'd def say it's more likely to be the rotors.

Chaoul1 10-31-2010 04:43 PM

Is this happening when you are braking? If so it could be your rotors unless it's your Tires. THey called that the "Death Wobble" instead of death shake lol. Check your suspension.

206WJ 11-01-2010 03:11 AM

I say rotors too, you have the teeves calipers unless already upgraded, the upgrade is because of rotor warpage. I would for sure look at the controll arm bushings too. Although if it was the bushings you would probaly feel it when you hit bumps too.

straty1987 11-01-2010 06:56 PM

if you get shacks/vibes when you brake at 60 MPH its usually a warped rotor,
do they look all rust on the outer circle were the barks are not applied

Joe in PA 11-01-2010 07:52 PM

Did not see any mention of getting the front end aligned after replacing the tie rod ends and other parts. I'd start there first even though the only thing that is really adjustable is the toe if I remember correctly. I'd tend to agree with the others that it is a warped rotor but if it hasn't been aligned, I'd do that as soon as possible.

josef15111 11-03-2010 11:01 PM

ok update guys all has been aligened since the joints and rods where replaced. it was done twice actually. ok the wobble shake comes hitting bumps and all i know what the rotors being warpped feels like. and yes they are warpped, but the wobble/shake is just horrible like a wheel is going to fall off the whole front end jumps up and down.. just looking for some in put.. and something els ei noticed. when in reverse and doing around 8 plus mph. if youhit the brake sharply you can feel the front end move i looked under while the wife hit the brakes and i seen the control arm bushings a little movement. going to replace and will report back with info. maybe help some others.. thank you all for the suggestions.

p.s. i have the akebono's calipers. and my rotors are less than a year old from r1. there slotted

StoneCold 11-04-2010 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josef15111 (Post 295730)
ok update guys all has been aligened since the joints and rods where replaced. it was done twice actually. ok the wobble shake comes hitting bumps and all i know what the rotors being warpped feels like. and yes they are warpped, but the wobble/shake is just horrible like a wheel is going to fall off the whole front end jumps up and down.. just looking for some in put.. and something els ei noticed. when in reverse and doing around 8 plus mph. if youhit the brake sharply you can feel the front end move i looked under while the wife hit the brakes and i seen the control arm bushings a little movement. going to replace and will report back with info. maybe help some others.. thank you all for the suggestions.

p.s. i have the akebono's calipers. and my rotors are less than a year old from r1. there slotted

If you're experiencing wobble when hitting bumps, it could be your shocks are needing replaced.

JeepMe 11-04-2010 08:43 AM

Mine did something similar to this also. From the research I found, it can be MANY MANY different things. So what worked for me, might not be your problem (although the symptoms are very similar).

When I would get going ~55mph my Jeep would shake. When I would hit a bump, it would SHAKE and feel like the whole front end was going to come apart. It was so bad, I wouldn't go above 50mph. If I was below 50mph, I wouldn't feel anything. Turns out my front passenger caliper was partially siezed and the rotor was warped. I replaced the rotor and caliper, problem solved.

206WJ 11-04-2010 09:14 AM

The steering stablizer may need to be changed too.