Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Changed oil today.... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/changed-oil-today-14599.html)

STIX 10-31-2010 04:26 PM

Changed oil today....

Hit 1000 miles so I decided to change the oil today. Everything that could go wrong...did

Drained the pan and forgot shop rags. Went inside to get them and then realized I forgot to adjust the catch basin for the change in flow out of the pan. Oil everywhere,

Then I couldnt for the life of me get the filter off by hand since Jeep tourqued the thing so darn tight at the factory. :mad: Struggled for about 15 minutes and then pulled a muscle in my shoulder.

Then my old filter wrench was a stretch too small so I couldnt get it all the way around. So I ended up having to take the plastic splash guard off and basically crush the filter with the wrench. Oil everywhere again. Good god why does this stuff always happen to me!?1?!?

Anyway, now my afternoon is shot but the oil is changed! At least next time it will easier.

Chaoul1 10-31-2010 04:29 PM

Re: Changed oil today....

Damn! I know you know to always be prepared! I always make sure I have everything I need and make sure that everything is removable. Sorry for your pulled muscle! Hope it gets better!

Congrats on the first Oil Change! :D

STIX 10-31-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 293679)
Damn! I know you know to always be prepared! I always make sure I have everything I need and make sure that everything is removable. Sorry for your pulled muscle! Hope it gets better!

Congrats on the first Oil Change! :D

Hah. And I'm an Eagle Scout. You'd think I'd remember the motto!

Red G8R 10-31-2010 05:55 PM

Is there any truth that there is special break-in oil used?

Marlon_JB2 10-31-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red G8R (Post 293716)
Is there any truth that there is special break-in oil used?

No. Oil is oil.

whatevrworks 10-31-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STIX (Post 293678)
Hit 1000 miles so I decided to change the oil today. Everything that could go wrong...did

Drained the pan and forgot shop rags. Went inside to get them and then realized I forgot to adjust the catch basin for the change in flow out of the pan. Oil everywhere,

Then I couldnt for the life of me get the filter off by hand since Jeep tourqued the thing so darn tight at the factory. :mad: Struggled for about 15 minutes and then pulled a muscle in my shoulder.

Then my old filter wrench was a stretch too small so I couldnt get it all the way around. So I ended up having to take the plastic splash guard off and basically crush the filter with the wrench. Oil everywhere again. Good god why does this stuff always happen to me!?1?!?

Anyway, now my afternoon is shot but the oil is changed! At least next time it will easier.

I assume hemi engine since you had to use a wrench on the filter rather than that drop in thing on the v6. Yeah I did mine a little while ago and it was a total PIA to get the filter off. I dont know about you but there is a metal guard or something around my filter which gave me problems since only a little of the end is usable to put a wrench on. Best bet is those end cap filter wrenches you slap a ratchet on. All my strap style wrenches are useless here.

MSCA 11-01-2010 11:32 AM

V6 oil change will be a breeze. Nothing better than the oil filter up on top of the engine!

vnbWK2 11-01-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 294051)
V6 oil change will be a breeze. Nothing better than the oil filter up on top of the engine!

That's one of the reasons why I went with the V6. I just had my oil changed at 1,000 miles (break-in) at the dealership since it was free. I plan on doing it myself using synthetic going forward. When do you plan on changing yours? A write-up with pics would be great if you can. I just hope it's as easy to crawl underneath this 2011 GC as it was when I had my 1998 GC.

overland06 11-01-2010 12:35 PM

Never had issues with changing the oil on any of my Grand Cherokees, 4.0, 4.7, and now the 5.7.

Being prepared is the key. It will be easier next time.

MSCA 11-01-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnbWK2 (Post 294061)
That's one of the reasons why I went with the V6. I just had my oil changed at 1,000 miles (break-in) at the dealership since it was free. I plan on doing it myself using synthetic going forward. When do you plan on changing yours? A write-up with pics would be great if you can. I just hope it's as easy to crawl underneath this 2011 GC as it was when I had my 1998 GC.

I don't actually have a WK2 yet...I'm still driving my 4Runner. But the 4Runner has the oil filter on top of the engine just like the V6 WK2 and it's the easiest and cleanest oil change job ever!

Nbtstatic 11-01-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnbWK2 (Post 294061)

I'm thinking we should be able to raise it up to the highest level of QL then kill it to get underneath easily.

wjs81866 11-01-2010 01:12 PM

sorry you had issues with it. The only thing I almost forgot was that it holds 7 qts of oil. Drain pan only holds maybe 4 1/2, had to grab my backup pan quickly but other then that I thought it was pretty easy.