Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/so-hid-high-beams-are-a-bad-idea-alternatives-14612.html)

TheAngryMinnow 10-31-2010 08:54 PM

So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
Ive read before that HIDs aren't viable high beams because they take too long to ignite and heat up (truth to this)? What are the alternatives if I want to do a 2008 retrofit for low beam HIDs on my 07 but dont want the crappy yellow stock light? Is there an aftermarket bulb that's more white with any more output? or ARE there HID bulbs fast enough for high beams (as a flash even)

thanks guys

GR33N D3M0N 10-31-2010 09:03 PM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
HIRs maybe? im not sure exactly what they are, but i think they have a whiter output...good luck!

Frankie 10-31-2010 09:17 PM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
Ive had my HIDs for over almost 2 years now with no probs!

Robert Palmer 10-31-2010 09:21 PM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
HID's in the high beams are ok if you dont use your high beams a lot to flash people. The bulbs take time to warm up and you wont be able to flash the bulbs. If you use the high beams mostly for flashing, go with a set of HIR's. Nice, crisp, clean looking color bulb/light output.

Now if you travel on pitch black roads a lot and use your high beams to make your pitch black travels easier, then HID's are a suitable option.


Hope that helps.

cherokee619 10-31-2010 09:23 PM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAngryMinnow (Post 293856)
Ive read before that HIDs aren't viable high beams because they take too long to ignite and heat up (truth to this)? What are the alternatives if I want to do a 2008 retrofit for low beam HIDs on my 07 but dont want the crappy yellow stock light? Is there an aftermarket bulb that's more white with any more output? or ARE there HID bulbs fast enough for high beams (as a flash even)

thanks guys

Hey i think i had heard if u put a relay to the highs they start up fast like we all do but,dont quote me..

Frankie 10-31-2010 09:25 PM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee619 (Post 293880)
Hey i think i had heard if u put a relay to the highs they start up fast like we all do but,dont quote me..

Still not like reg bulbs though!

TheAngryMinnow 10-31-2010 09:45 PM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
I did look into HIR before (and did again) that might be a nice option since I'm not really looking forward to getting 2008 lamps + bumper just for an HID kit.

White Chocolate 11-01-2010 12:19 AM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
Not to jack the OP's thread. But ive heard lots of good things about HIR's. Where is the best place to buy these things??

I don't like having to rely on ebay.

CherokeeOnToyos 11-01-2010 12:51 AM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee619 (Post 293880)
Hey i think i had heard if u put a relay to the highs they start up fast like we all do but,dont quote me..

I have mine on relays and they light up super fast, instantly i would say. and I flash mine alot like regular bulbs and ive had HID's in my high beams for almost 2 years now with no problems. Theres almost no warm up time. here are acouple of videos showing the warm up time from a cold start.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...-37-26_588.jpg
http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o...-39-05_539.jpg

TheAngryMinnow 11-01-2010 08:39 AM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 293938)
Not to jack the OP's thread. But ive heard lots of good things about HIR's. Where is the best place to buy these things??

I don't like having to rely on ebay.

NP, this guy has them $24.95 each + $8 shipping up to 8 bulbs

http://hirheadlights.com/

thats where im buyin mine. he'll be gone tues/fri this week he said

TheAngryMinnow 11-01-2010 08:40 AM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherokeeOnToyos (Post 293946)
I have mine on relays and they light up super fast, instantly i would say. and I flash mine alot like regular bulbs and ive had HID's in my high beams for almost 2 years now with no problems. Theres almost no warm up time. here are acouple of videos showing the warm up time from a cold start.


NICE thanks! that makes sense because even without the relays, my fogs light up fast and actually brighter initially then cool off and stay constant.

SRTILL8 11-01-2010 09:29 AM

Re: So...HID high beams are a bad idea....alternatives?
 
this reply is for the turn signal bulb if you decide that you dont like to see the amber glare on the reflected lenses in your headlights...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2491wt_941

those lights^^ will only blink amber but wont show any color when theyre not on.

cheers-


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community