Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/gc-vs-2011-explorer-terrain-mgt-system-14613.html)

GAROSS 10-31-2010 09:15 PM

GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
Hi,
Any help in understanding the GC's 4wd systems vs. Ford Explorer's Terrain Mgt System?
I owned to older Explorer's now have a 4 Runner and want to buy either the GC or Explorer but I am confused about the dif in the 4wd systems.
Thanks

jeep2011 10-31-2010 09:27 PM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
It all depends on how often and what kind of off road situations you plan to transverse. The explorer really is more suited for snow and light beach driving. It is not a true off roader and will not be able to handle deep mud, snow, sand, or any rock climbing.

Ford did inherit Land Rovers Terrain response system while they owned LR. It is an excellent system if it had all of the capabilities LR has (locking diffs, air suspension, and LOW RANGE)

The Terrain response systems are computer controlled and help modulate engine torque, braking, suspensions, ESP, and transfer case components.

Both systems will act the same, but the explorer is missing so much for the system to even really help the novice.

Jeep has available air suspension, available rear locking diff, and a LOW RANGE 4X4 system.

So it is all up to you on how you plan to off road.

MSCA 11-01-2010 06:25 AM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAROSS (Post 293873)
Hi,
Any help in understanding the GC's 4wd systems vs. Ford Explorer's Terrain Mgt System?
I owned to older Explorer's now have a 4 Runner and want to buy either the GC or Explorer but I am confused about the dif in the 4wd systems.
Thanks

The new 5th generation 4Runner also has a very similar "terrain select" system. Just thought I'd mention that since you said you currently drive a 4Runner.

walterhudson 11-02-2010 12:19 AM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 293883)
It all depends on how often and what kind of off road situations you plan to transverse. The explorer really is more suited for snow and light beach driving. It is not a true off roader and will not be able to handle deep mud, snow, sand, or any rock climbing.

Ford did inherit Land Rovers Terrain response system while they owned LR. It is an excellent system if it had all of the capabilities LR has (locking diffs, air suspension, and LOW RANGE)

The Terrain response systems are computer controlled and help modulate engine torque, braking, suspensions, ESP, and transfer case components.

Both systems will act the same, but the explorer is missing so much for the system to even really help the novice.

Jeep has available air suspension, available rear locking diff, and a LOW RANGE 4X4 system.

So it is all up to you on how you plan to off road.


Right on....The Explorer system is a sham... all it does is alter the throttle response and start in second gear in the snow setting...Ford put a nice little dial on the console to make suckers think that this is a sophisticated system like the Rover and GC,s. It is not

MSCA 11-02-2010 05:42 AM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by walterhudson (Post 294510)
Right on....The Explorer system is a sham... all it does is alter the throttle response and start in second gear in the snow setting...Ford put a nice little dial on the console to make suckers think that this is a sophisticated system like the Rover and GC,s. It is not

A sham? What exactly do you think the "terrain response" systems do in the Land Rover, GC, or 4Runner that it doesn't in the Explorer? Remember, the terrain response systems work with the 4wd systems....so of course they control throttle response and gear selection. Did you know that the Chief Engineer of the new Explorer platform used to work at Land Rover U.K. and Chief Engineer for Range Rover? I think it's safe to say that the Explorer terrain response system will have a lot in common with Land Rover, who basically invented it in the first place.

jeep2011 11-02-2010 07:00 AM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCA (Post 294539)
A sham? What exactly do you think the "terrain response" systems do in the Land Rover, GC, or 4Runner that it doesn't in the Explorer? Remember, the terrain response systems work with the 4wd systems....so of course they control throttle response and gear selection. Did you know that the Chief Engineer of the new Explorer platform used to work at Land Rover U.K. and Chief Engineer for Range Rover? I think it's safe to say that the Explorer terrain response system will have a lot in common with Land Rover, who basically invented it in the first place.

Read the previous quote....it is a great system, but it has no real 4X4 systems to back it up. Air Suspension, locking diffs, or a LOW RANGE which is all needed for real off road driving. The Jeep offers all of those systems that are found on the LR's now.

MSCA 11-03-2010 09:09 AM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 294550)
Read the previous quote....it is a great system, but it has no real 4X4 systems to back it up. Air Suspension, locking diffs, or a LOW RANGE which is all needed for real off road driving. The Jeep offers all of those systems that are found on the LR's now.

Which is exactly why I said that the terrain response system works with the 4wd system. Just because the Explorer doesn't have locking diffs or low gear doesn't mean the terrain response system is a sham. It can work quite well for it's intended purposes.

trebliw 11-03-2010 09:39 AM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
Who cares? We drive JEEPS... piss on those Explorers! LOL Just kidding. Just wanted to lighten up the mood. You may proceed!

chucksc 11-03-2010 12:50 PM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
.
Nah! Exploders have become CUVs and are no longer SUVs iMO

Technosavant 11-03-2010 01:13 PM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chucksc (Post 295405)
.
Nah! Exploders have become CUVs and are no longer SUVs iMO

The problem is, there's no real clearly defined category anymore. Used to be, a body on frame meant real SUV and a unibody meant crossover.

Well, now the Grand Cherokee has a unibody construction. I don't know I'd call it a crossover, because it's one strong unibody- you don't find unibodies with tow ratings of not quite four tons. You sure don't find that with the ability to run the Rubicon Trail.

There's vehicles at extremes of the spectrum. There's things like the Honda CR-V and Toyota Highlander, and their off roading ability is pretty well limited to extremely easy terrain. There's things like the Grand Cherokee, where they can run just about anywhere a person might want to go, and do it fresh off the showroom floor. There's vehicles that are mostly disguised minivans (GMC Acadia and platform mates), there's ones that retain more of the SUV-like nature, both in and out.

jeep2011 11-03-2010 01:54 PM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
GC's have always been unibody/uniframe from the very beginning. Nothing has changed there except they have made it stiff as hell now. They did make the suspension fully independent now.

Plasticar 11-03-2010 03:06 PM

Re: GC vs. 2011 Explorer Terrain Mgt System
 
I don't like the front wheel drive layout of the new Explorer. Call me old-fashoned, but I wanted a conventional engine/transmission setup. I have never liked front wheel drive vehicles.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community