Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   srt8 vs 5.7l limited hemi (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/srt8-vs-5-7l-limited-hemi-14620.html)

blackonblack 10-31-2010 11:12 PM

srt8 vs 5.7l limited hemi

hey guys i am coming to the realization the srt8 might not be for me at this point in my life. the truck is amazing but the body kit with the bumper so low isn't favorable for me right now and the limited is just the right distance from the ground so it's not to much. also, i know the 5.7l would get better milage. i would black out the grill and get the srt8 rims but 22s version. i know the srt8 better but im trying to think more realistic.

PLEASE PUT YOUR INPUT IT WILL HELP ME OUT SO MUCH!

SoCalMoparWK 10-31-2010 11:29 PM

Re: srt8 vs 5.7l limited hemi

Well thats a first, but what you say is true and it is a valid reason. Go for it besides you still got a hemi.

Knightrider03m 11-01-2010 12:14 AM

It wasn't until I got my SS and lined it up with a co-worker that as a SRT8 WK until I saw that the bottom of the SRT is still higher than my car and I don't have any problems with my bottom scraping even going up steep driveways. Just go slow. Unless you plan on going off road, the SRTs height shouldn't be a problem. If you plan on towing then get the 5.7L. If you have the money for an SRT, you would be better off with it. Power wise the SRT is years ahead.

TheAngryMinnow 11-01-2010 09:00 AM

if you think its not for you then you answered your own question. idk what mileage you get but I have an 07 5.7L with 4x,xxx miles and old sparks that gets 13mpg religiously in city driving, maybe 15-16 hwy. i couldnt stand the 8mpg the srt8 gets haha

BLACK DOG 11-01-2010 09:31 AM

I agree, my 5.7 scoots along pretty good, unless you are running quarters you probably won't notice the difference in power, handling on the SRT is another thing, but can be easily fixed on the 5.7 with springs, sways and shocks.

jdcollins86 11-01-2010 11:11 AM

i have a 09 wk limited with the 5.7 ive done a little bit of work to my wk. i wish i would have gotten a srt. i test drove a srt about a month ago the the really big difference that i noticed was the handling. as far a power goes i really couldn't tell..

TheAngryMinnow 11-01-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcollins86 (Post 294045)
i have a 09 wk limited with the 5.7 ive done a little bit of work to my wk. i wish i would have gotten a srt. i test drove a srt about a month ago the the really big difference that i noticed was the handling. as far a power goes i really couldn't tell..

you can overcome those shortfalls fairly effectively by changing the struts and sway bars

jdcollins86 11-01-2010 02:36 PM

very true... but so many others, the brakes, the way it looks, the seats. over all i wish i would have got an srt. but having the mds i can get 21 hw

SRTILL8 11-01-2010 03:30 PM

i hate to differ but theres def a difference between a stock 5.7 and a stock SRT8-

not huge but i cant agree and say i didnt notice any difference between the two except for handling etc. cause i sure as hell noticed the difference REAL QUICK-

i held out on the SRT8 for the longest time even though i test drove religiously every year until i picked one up last december. i came from every jeep in the book basically, by far this is the best one ive had.

all im saying is ive always wanted one and was always hesitant on getting one cause of snow traveling( i live in ny) but i pulled the trigger and i couldnt be happier with my verdict.

either way gl-:thumbsup:

trebliw 11-01-2010 03:49 PM

I would love to get my hands on an SRT8 but with gas being expensive and being born with a lead foot and the fact my pockets don't run deep to afford both the gas the the sticker price I think going with a limited with the 57 is optimal. As far as the bumper goes, I love my srt8 bumper with the exception of having to park 3 feet from the parking curb and and bottoming out on speed bumps/pot holes if you're not looking out for them not to mention the snow here in Detroit. Hence the reason why I take my bumper off in the winter. So with that said, an SRT8 would be nice if I had the money but a 57 will suffice, for now.

08Hemi 11-01-2010 05:05 PM

I have a 2wd 5.7...Intake, exhaust and CMR tune. I love it...I would have bought an SRT8 if it came in white and got better than 14 mpg's...I can get 21.5 mpg's @ 80 mph over 400+ miles. Now I have driven an SRT8 and you cannot really compare my Jeep to it, even though I have changed the sways, sway links, shocks and struts (HD Bilsteins)...the SRT8 launches like a bat-out-of-hell, my Jeep will never launch like that (without a blower haha and some serious internal engine changes)...and without SRT8 or BWoody/RMII's springs, the WK will not handle like an SRT8 unless you do the full swap (SRT8 sways, links, struts/shocks and springs, along with staggered wheels/tires)

If $$ is no option, and you like the colors of the SRT8, then there is no question = Get the SRT8! now if you are like me and want better mpg's and a white wk, you only have a couple options (laredo, limited, 2 or 4wd :)). Good luck and keep us posted

blackpepper 11-01-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebliw (Post 294169)
I would love to get my hands on an SRT8 but with gas being expensive and being born with a lead foot and the fact my pockets don't run deep to afford both the gas the the sticker price I think going with a limited with the 57 is optimal. As far as the bumper goes, I love my srt8 bumper with the exception of having to park 3 feet from the parking curb and and bottoming out on speed bumps/pot holes if you're not looking out for them not to mention the snow here in Detroit. Hence the reason why I take my bumper off in the winter. So with that said, an SRT8 would be nice if I had the money but a 57 will suffice, for now.

Amen. Minus the snow part :o