Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Update on short antenna (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/update-on-short-antenna-14632.html)

darkrt 11-01-2010 11:11 AM

Update on short antenna

Just returned from my local dealer. If you bring in your JGC they will change out the long antenna with a stubby 8",but for a charge. So I just ordered one for $21.60. Will install myself. By the way they look way better than the skinny springy ones. There is no TSB on it yet. Who knows.

Red G8R 11-01-2010 12:19 PM

Re: Update on short antenna

When was your build date?

whatevrworks 11-01-2010 12:51 PM

do you have a pic side by side of the 10 and 8 inch antennas? to they look the same except for length?

Nbtstatic 11-01-2010 12:54 PM

this thread has a pic of both. They look a little different.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/antenna-too-tall-14458-2.html

wk2overland 11-01-2010 04:13 PM

keep in mind, if you use any sort of roof-top cargo device (rocket box/basket, similar) the longer one will BEND underneath it, but still work, and return to normal after. the shorter one is thicker and more rigid, and won't bend, perhaps prompting removal.
just discovered this on my overland when i put my thule box on.

moosehead 11-01-2010 04:36 PM

^ wk2overland, were you the member who was trying to mount the thule box on the factory cross bars? if so, does the whole thing lock onto the roof itself? would also appreciate any photos please. thanks.

robpp 11-01-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wk2overland (Post 294177)
keep in mind, if you use any sort of roof-top cargo device (rocket box/basket, similar) the longer one will BEND underneath it, but still work, and return to normal after. the shorter one is thicker and more rigid, and won't bend, perhaps prompting removal.
just discovered this on my overland when i put my thule box on.

so it sounds like the taller antenna MAY be a better choice if it bends where the shorter one may end up getting ripped off the roof since its not too flexible.........great :frown:

darkrt 11-01-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red g8r (Post 294063)
when was your build date?

7-2010.

wk2overland 11-01-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 294188)
^ wk2overland, were you the member who was trying to mount the thule box on the factory cross bars? if so, does the whole thing lock onto the roof itself? would also appreciate any photos please. thanks.

i was.
it ended up working out just fine with the thule box. the bars lock into the tracks, and the box's u-bolts clamp right down on the bars.
i'll try to get some pictures. i forgot before. sorry :rolleyes:

as for the antenna, i am watching the aftermarket vendors closely for a shorty antenna.

Bob WK2 11-01-2010 10:43 PM

What were they thinking when this antenna was designed? A few of us just might want to put our GC's in a garage or carry something like ski gear on the roof!:confused:

dnagyjr 12-01-2010 04:47 PM

I decided to run down to my jeep dealer today to pick up the shorter antenna since mine rubs my garage door. The parts department didnt have a clue what I was talking about and said there wasnt a shorter antenna for the GC. He finally pulled out an antenna for a Jeep Liberty and it was thicker and about 2 or 3 inches shorter. Worked like a charm. Figured I would mention it as it might save someone the pain of watching a parts guy search a computer for 20 minutes!

Nbtstatic 12-01-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnagyjr (Post 310264)
I decided to run down to my jeep dealer today to pick up the shorter antenna since mine rubs my garage door. The parts department didnt have a clue what I was talking about and said there wasnt a shorter antenna for the GC. He finally pulled out an antenna for a Jeep Liberty and it was thicker and about 2 or 3 inches shorter. Worked like a charm. Figured I would mention it as it might save someone the pain of watching a parts guy search a computer for 20 minutes!

Mine said that too, until I pointed to about 30 new units sitting on the lot with a different antenna than mine, lol.