Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   730 vs 430 Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/730-vs-430-navigation-14635.html)

mcomito 11-01-2010 12:31 PM

730 vs 430 Navigation

I read in a post that there might be an upgraded navigation system available to order in January. I just ordered my Overland and not sure what system will be included and whether it would be worth waiting for. Any feedback/insite would be appreciated. The Garmin just seems low-end.

Thanks in advance!

wjs81866 11-01-2010 01:18 PM

Re: 730 vs 430 Navigation

I have the 730 in my Limited and I like it better then the Garmin one. I don't have the Garmin but have used it. 730's my choice, a little more feature rich then the 430N

Technosavant 11-01-2010 01:24 PM

If you did not specify the 730N (is it even available to order yet? The RER was taken off the table, but I don't remember if the RHR is available to order yet), then you will likely receive the 430N.

I do not think the Garmin is "low end." They are recognized as being very capable, if not the best around, when it comes to maps and routing. However, the 430N does not have some features of the 730N (voice command, iPod cable), but the complete list of specs for the RHR have not yet been released. It is entirely possible the RHR will not be much different from the RER, so the state of affairs of the "mid level" nav having features not present on the "top end" one may continue to exist.

jeep2011 11-01-2010 01:33 PM

I prefer the 430N over the 730N it has a much quicker response and it to the point.

jonesark 11-01-2010 02:17 PM

"low end" it isn't.....it doesn't have all the features the 730N does, but I don't think you have an option anyway as of right now.

Stroked & Blown 11-01-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 294091)
However, the 430N does not have some features of the 730N (voice command, iPod cable)....

Are you sure about that? I could have sworn that I have the 430N, but I DO have voice command & the iPod cable.

Technosavant 11-01-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown (Post 294147)
Are you sure about that? I could have sworn that I have the 430N, but I DO have voice command & the iPod cable.

Yes. The differences are spelled out ad nauseum in other threads, but the voice command for nav (430N does have voice command for iPod control) and included iPod cable are 730N only features. The iPod cable can be added to the 430N, and you also get the same effect with an iPod to USB cable plugged into the USB port in the center console (with the 730N RER, that port doesn't exist). Check the lower right of your head unit- if it says RER, you have the 730N. If it says RHB, you have the 430N.

KarlG 11-01-2010 06:04 PM

Also, it should be noted the 430 is a Mitsubishi sourced unit while the 730 is sourced from Harmon (Becker).

Milous 11-02-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 294091)
...I don't remember if the RHR is available to order yet...

It is not. Since production starts in January it will probably not appear on the order sheets until sometime in December.

RMac 11-02-2010 09:02 AM

The interface is a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer the Garmin interface. The features are very similar in each radio. I have the 430N, and am impressed by its various features. I had standalone Garmins for years, and was very satisfied with them.

Here's a summary of the main advantages/disadvantages:

Main advantages/disadvantages (430N - RHB, vs. 730N - RER):

Media Center 730N (RER):
- Advantage: voice command of navigation
- Advantage: "dead reckoning" (if you're in a tunnel or a downtown area, you aren't as likely to lose satellite as you are in the 430N)
- Advantage: SIRIUS Traffic
- Disadvantage: No voice command of music
- Disadvantage: No SIRIUS Travel Link

Media Center 430N (RHB):
- Advantage: Voice Command of music
- Advantage: SIRIUS Travel Link (coming in January)
- Disadvantage: No Voice Command of navigation (you can't program routes using the voice command feature. You can only program routes when the transmission is in Park)
- Disadvantage: No "dead reckoning"
- Disadvantage: No SIRIUS Traffic (Travel Link does have traffic information, but does not plot it on the actual navigation map like the 730N does)

JoeSchmoe007 11-02-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMac (Post 294587)
The interface is a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer the Garmin interface. The features are very similar in each radio. I have the 430N, and am impressed by its various features. I had standalone Garmins for years, and was very satisfied with them.

Here's a summary of the main advantages/disadvantages:

Main advantages/disadvantages (430N - RHB, vs. 730N - RER):

Media Center 730N (RER):
- Advantage: voice command of navigation
- Advantage: "dead reckoning" (if you're in a tunnel or a downtown area, you aren't as likely to lose satellite as you are in the 430N)
- Advantage: SIRIUS Traffic
- Disadvantage: No voice command of music
- Disadvantage: No SIRIUS Travel Link

Media Center 430N (RHB):
- Advantage: Voice Command of music
- Advantage: SIRIUS Travel Link (coming in January)
- Disadvantage: No Voice Command of navigation (you can't program routes using the voice command feature. You can only program routes when the transmission is in Park)
- Disadvantage: No "dead reckoning"
- Disadvantage: No SIRIUS Traffic (Travel Link does have traffic information, but does not plot it on the actual navigation map like the 730N does)

To clarify one point RMac made above: with 730N when you are in tunnel you will still lose satellite reception. Navigation system will try to estimate your position from last known point by using information about your vehicle speed and steering wheel position, possibly also using gyroscopes.