Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Seats - Full Leather? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/seats-full-leather-14681.html)

Bmwister 11-02-2010 05:29 PM

Seats - Full Leather?

Question for you with leather seats: is it only the seating surfaces that are leather? Last night I looked at an X-package and an Overland, and I swear the surrounding area outside the seating area on both was vinyl; the actual seating areas for the butt/back were definitely leather. It was dark, I was tired and my fingers were cold (motorcycle ride) so I could not discern if the seats were part leather (like Audi had started doing to their cars) or not. The headrests felt like vinyl too. The paper-shuffler (er...sales person) was too cranky to pull it into better light for a look see and I've been too busy to go back.

The reason I ask is that I want the Low-Range transfer case (OR1) and can only find OR1 with the non-X cloth seat "E" vehicles. The fold-flat passenger seat is admittedly a bonus if I have to have an "E", but I also want leather; I can add full-leather (not just the butt/back seating area) surface to the cloth seats front and back for about $1200. The stereo is another matter where I like the X-package goodies, but for now I'm just wondering if they are skimping on the leather seating to just the immediate butt/back spots? Has anyone looked closely?

jeep2011 11-02-2010 05:54 PM

Re: Seats - Full Leather?

I know the Nappa leather is full leather. Not sure about the regular leather seating. The only part that isn't leather is the fabric used along the edges to prevent squeaks.

IRISH 11-02-2010 06:21 PM

It appears that the surrounding area around the seating area is vinyl, I was not impressed with that. With all the hype of the interior I assumed that at least the entire seating surface would be leather.

Hopefully when they refresh the Jeep in a few years with a new transmission, they will redo the seats with more leather.......... anyone from Chrysler reading this??

Bmwister 11-02-2010 06:49 PM

Yes agreed sides of seats and backs should be vinyl. I guess I wouldn't be surprised on the Laredo-X but if it's the same on the Limited and Overland that would be kind of cheap at that premium (even though Audi does it too). That said, the vinyl felt of very high quality and matched color perfectly to the point that I even questioned it. Now I guess it's Laredo-E and go to an upholsterer for full leather surfaces and maybe add heat/vented to that too. Thanks for the feedback.

Grn4Frk 11-02-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 294980)
Yes agreed sides of seats and backs should be vinyl. I guess I wouldn't be surprised on the Laredo-X but if it's the same on the Limited and Overland that would be kind of cheap at that premium (even though Audi does it too). That said, the vinyl felt of very high quality and matched color perfectly to the point that I even questioned it. Now I guess it's Laredo-E and go to an upholsterer for full leather surfaces and maybe add heat/vented to that too. Thanks for the feedback.

Most BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes (along with other full line automakers) do not have full leather. Most of the "leather" in those cars are actually pleather/vinyl. The 3 series & 5 series do not have full leather seats, if they have any at all (depending on what package you get). You won't find full leather on most cars until you get into the 50,000+ range.
The Grand Cherokee having vinyl on the sides is not cheap by todays standards at all, and in reality, it helps. Real leather on the sides will crack a lot faster then vinyl will and start to look bad. The vinyl in my friends 12 year BMW still looks pretty good but his mom's van ('99 dodge w/ full leather) is all cracked and looks horrible. I can understand wanting full leather but I think the fact that in the long run, it will look better and hold up better, I would prefer vinyl on the side. To each his own though

Bmwister 11-02-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grn4Frk (Post 295009)
Most BMW's, Audi's and Mercedes (along with other full line automakers) do not have full leather.

Correct; I know that because I've owned a few Mercedes and Audis over the years and I usually buy top shelf for my sedans. They used to be "full" leather seating, but in the last 10 years (even on our newer A6) they have moved to just seating areas. This is the kind of cost cutting noticeable to only discriminating car people like me and others on these kinds of forums. I was a bit disappointed that the Overland had real leather only on the seat areas too.

ftffom 11-02-2010 08:00 PM

I totally agree that vinyl does not show wear (e.g., creases) like leather. However, I ordered the Overland light interior and have some concerns that as the light leather gets dirty, the vinyl may not discolor in the same way. At that point, the matched leather and vinyl may not look so good. If I had thought about this more I probably would have ordered the black interior.

IRISH 11-02-2010 08:14 PM

Good leather will not crack, look at airlines with leather seats, no marks after millions of miles on them. My GTO has FULL leather no vinyl anywhere to be seen, and smells leathery, it has a good quality leather and show little to no wear.

What I am basically trying to say, is that if they use good quality leather, it will out perform vinyl. Remember the 1993-1995 Gr. Cherokees, the leather on their seats outlasted the vehicle.

jeep2011 11-02-2010 08:15 PM

How is everyone determining the seats have vinyl? I have the nappa seats and I notice no vinyl on any of the seats.

Frank TJ 11-02-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 295068)
How is everyone determining the seats have vinyl? I have the nappa seats and I notice no vinyl on any of the seats.

Can you post photos of the nappa seats? Is this on a 2011 Grand?

topsailstar 11-02-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank TJ (Post 295089)
Can you post photos of the nappa seats? Is this on a 2011 Grand?

Have you seen an Overland interior? It has nappa leather.

Frank TJ 11-02-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topsailstar (Post 295095)
Have you seen an Overland interior? It has nappa leather.

I am referring to the saddle interior. Guess I was confused that the standard Overland leather is nappa.