Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Key-Less Entry Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/key-less-entry-question-14684.html)

overlander 11-02-2010 06:18 PM

Key-Less Entry Question

I was hand washing my car last night and I noticed every time I would spray the driver/passenger side windows when the water trickled down or splashed in between the door handles my car would keep blinking meaning it's unlocking. I had the key fob in my pocket of course but are they supposed to be THAT sensitive? It snows/rains hard where I live so I'm also wondering if weather will be a factor for the key-less entry doors?

jeep2011 11-02-2010 06:30 PM

Re: Key-Less Entry Question

Yes I noticed that the first time I washed mine. I learned real quick to leave my key inside the garage. As long as the key is within 5ft. it will unlock the car.

tbechtel 11-02-2010 06:32 PM

Thats normal. Mine does the same thing. Water makes no difference. when in range the fob flashes the lights telling you that you have connected. As you wash the vehicle the lights will flash often. I just leave the fob inside the house and wash in peace.

jeep2011 11-02-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbechtel (Post 294956)
Thats normal. Mine does the same thing. Water makes no difference. when in range the fob flashes the lights telling you that you have connected. As you wash the vehicle the lights will flash often. I just leave the fob inside the house and wash in peace.

Lights flash when in range?? I think there might be something wrong with yours, lol it should only flash and unlock when you touch the back of the handle.

RMac 11-02-2010 07:00 PM

It's possible that the rain running down the car (and over the inside of the door handle) is unlocking the car. Mine did the same thing. Now I leave the key fob in the house.

jeep2011 11-02-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMac (Post 294994)
It's possible that the rain running down the car (and over the inside of the door handle) is unlocking the car. Mine did the same thing. Now I leave the key fob in the house.

Yes the rain or any liquid will make the electrical contact between the sensors on the back of the handle. It is a lot like the iphone screen it has to have something conductive to activate. If you are wearing very heavy gloves it will not activate the unlock.

overlander 11-02-2010 07:23 PM

Mine does not blink when I approach the vehicle, only when I press unlock or I have my hand in the handle. I guess when I park in public I'll always have to look back to see if it unlocked itself before I exceed the 5 ft lol!