Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Headlights indicator is getting on my nerves... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/headlights-indicator-is-getting-on-my-nerves-14740.html)

JoeSchmoe007 11-04-2010 08:16 AM

Headlights indicator is getting on my nerves...

Someone else mentioned it here or on another forum several days ago that it was too bright and said he was about to use black marker on it to make it less bright. I wanted make fun of him and suggest duct tape but I didn't.

Now I can tell I agree with him. Today for the first time I drove for an hour with this indicator on and it is so bright that it makes it somewhat distracting and annoying.

Jokes aside - what are good reversible ways of making it less bright? I don't really think using black marker is 100% reversible. I was thinking about electrical insulating tape but don't know how transparent it is.

CLARIFICATION: this is about low beam indicator.

moosehead 11-04-2010 08:25 AM

Re: Headlights indicator is getting on my nerves...

+1 to a dab of electrical tape, just use a sharp pair of scissors or razor for a clean cut.

foggy 11-04-2010 08:36 AM

Sad to hear this. So many vehicles have an irritating hi-beam indicator light....and it seems they always place it so you cant keep the steering wheel to shield it so it wont blind you. :lol: Strange they make the bulb so bright. :confused:
I have used black tape in the past....and it sounds like this vehicle is going to need it too. :rolleyes: :(

Mattwilkins 11-04-2010 08:44 AM

If you are just using marker on the smooth plastic it will come off fine. Sharpie markers will completely come off non-pourous surfaces just by spraying a dab of hair spray on the marking and wiping off. I have done this countless times for various purposes. It would most likely be much more transparent.

JoeSchmoe007 11-04-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggy (Post 295778)
Sad to hear this. So many vehicles have an irritating hi-beam indicator light....and it seems they always place it so you cant keep the steering wheel to shield it so it wont blind you. :lol: Strange they make the bulb so bright. :confused:
I have used black tape in the past....and it sounds like this vehicle is going to need it too. :rolleyes: :(

This is about low beam, so it makes it even worse - it is on much more often than high beam.

i0r15 11-04-2010 09:29 AM

take a square inch of tinting film, lick it and stick it :D

moosehead 11-04-2010 09:29 AM

Courtesy of Nbtstatic's tremendous photos. Suggest all of Nbtstatic's photos be stickied up top in WK2 forum.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/a...9_QuMLd-X2.jpg

iJeep 11-04-2010 09:34 AM

Just forget about it.. LOL

Cool sig Chris.

CrazyJ 11-04-2010 09:43 AM

Wow, I thought it was a fog light indicator during the test drive. The fog light indicator on my 3-series is about that bright. That's why I never turn them on...

GR33N D3M0N 11-04-2010 09:45 AM

my dad has that on his LX...its not too bright tho, but its also in the middle, and the steering wheel kinda covers it...

whatevrworks 11-04-2010 09:47 AM

On my other jeeps you can easily take out the instrument cluster and remove the bulb or led for that one indicator light. That will solve the problem, dont know how difficult it is on the wk2 or if it can be done.

bpmcgee 11-04-2010 10:02 AM

Or maybe just put in a lower output bulb?