Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   3.5 Rock Krawler For My 07 Grand Cherokee Opinions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/3-5-rock-krawler-for-my-07-grand-cherokee-opinions-14878.html)

MLIB 11-07-2010 08:13 PM

3.5 Rock Krawler For My 07 Grand Cherokee Opinions

Ive been looking to do some offroad Modifications to My Jeep. Anyone have any word on the 3.5 RK kit. Or any other kit thats economical, and good for an everyday driver??

GCL06 11-15-2010 02:09 PM

Re: 3.5 Rock Krawler For My 07 Grand Cherokee Opinions

Depending on your budget you may want to opt for the OME lift or one of the other 2-2.25" lift. The RK is only really 2" of lift but allows for 3 more inches of tire. With half that extra rubber below the wheel adding height that's 1.5" higher due to rubber. 2"+1.5"=3.5" so inreality, the RK lift kit provides the same height as the rest of the cheaper 2" kits. The main difference is that you replace the strut with the RK kit rather than adding spacers up front. Is this worth the additional $? I have no clue.

The OME kit seems to have the best rep (aside from the Superlift but you're looking at a totally different budget group there). It provides more height and (correct me if I'm wrong) better articulation. Between the Bilstein shocks and the RK kit I purchased, I ended up spending as much as I would have (if not more) on my setup than I would have spent on an OME kit.

Hope some of this info is helpful in making your decision and best of luck to ya :)

cort692 11-16-2010 09:49 AM

The best value, with the best quality, for $150 and 2 inches is the Rough Country kit. They make their spacers out of steel rather than a poly like day star and have great customer service!

Good luck, lets us know what you end up getting!

Relwarc 11-16-2010 09:51 AM

i have the RK kit. I love it. It replaced the stock strut forks with bigger, beefier ones. The jeep still had the stock-like ride, but its taller. I love it with my 255-70 R 18's

ckrawler 11-22-2010 04:33 PM

Its a nice kit.

silver bullit 11-23-2010 02:00 PM

the 3.5 rock krawler kit in very nice kit and very easy to install

MLIB 12-05-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCL06 (Post 301550)
Depending on your budget you may want to opt for the OME lift or one of the other 2-2.25" lift. The RK is only really 2" of lift but allows for 3 more inches of tire. With half that extra rubber below the wheel adding height that's 1.5" higher due to rubber. 2"+1.5"=3.5" so inreality, the RK lift kit provides the same height as the rest of the cheaper 2" kits. The main difference is that you replace the strut with the RK kit rather than adding spacers up front. Is this worth the additional $? I have no clue.

The OME kit seems to have the best rep (aside from the Superlift but you're looking at a totally different budget group there). It provides more height and (correct me if I'm wrong) better articulation. Between the Bilstein shocks and the RK kit I purchased, I ended up spending as much as I would have (if not more) on my setup than I would have spent on an OME kit.

Hope some of this info is helpful in making your decision and best of luck to ya :)

Thank you for the info bro. still trying to make a decision on what to do, all the signs are pointing to the ome, but why wallet is pointing the other direction.Im may just do an ome budget kit for 400 but the specifics about it are unclear. And also i must say your rigs looking tight. what are you runnning as far as a CB and where did you mount your cb and antennas.

GCL06 12-13-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLIB (Post 312574)
Thank you for the info bro. still trying to make a decision on what to do, all the signs are pointing to the ome, but why wallet is pointing the other direction.Im may just do an ome budget kit for 400 but the specifics about it are unclear. And also i must say your rigs looking tight. what are you runnning as far as a CB and where did you mount your cb and antennas.

Anytime. Thank you :thumbsup:

I've got dual 4' fiberglass antennas that I picked up off ebay for like $20. They turned out to be a pretty good product, especially for the price. I made some mounts out of corner bracket things from Home Depot (not sure what the official name for them is, just metal bent at 90 degrees) originally but that metal turned out to be a bit too soft and bent after a while. I welded some new mounts from 1/8'' steel which I'll soon be welding on the Jeep, hopefully with some springs for the antennas.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...6/DSC01244.jpg

They'll be going right back where the old ones were:
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...6/DSC01023.jpg

And as far as the CB, I mounted it in the cubby to the left of the wheel. Midland 1001z. It's a perfect fit. Just cut out the back of the cubby to run the wires.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/y...6/DSC00887.jpg

hella_wk 12-14-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCL06 (Post 301550)

GCL06 +PLUS REP FOR YOU! that's exactly what i wanted to know, and now im deciding to go with the OME lift as well, thanks bro!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cort692 (Post 302091)
The best value, with the best quality, for $150 and 2 inches is the Rough Country kit. They make their spacers out of steel rather than a poly like day star and have great customer service!

Good luck, lets us know what you end up getting!

hey cort692 how is your rough country lift working for you??
and i think RR does theirs in a poly material so its not stiff if im not mistaking.
so my question for you is how stiff is your kit? or is it not stiff at all, and just like factory
cuz i noticed it is the most inexpensive lift of them all. And its steel, so it seems that it would hold up longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLIB (Post 312574)

MLIB, im almost set on going with the same exact lift as you! its seems that everybody had their fingers pointed in that direction!! lucky for us, we didnt have to test every lift, and just take everybody"s input!!!:p
Also this 400 dollar one is different from the 760 dollar one, because it does not come with the front and rear OME shocks, the 400 or "395" dollar one just comes with the *rear*-rockyroad shocks and no front ones. and when i look at the price at the OME front strut-shock ($147) i guess it makes since
but because of my shallow pocket, i will still be getting the 395$ one as well. my front strut-shocks arent old and havent sagged so they should be fine for now :thumbsup: this is prolly also why they let you order them separate.. cha-ching!

Hope this helps!

hella_wk 12-14-2010 01:19 AM

Also not to mention, but all the other 2" lifts (such as Rock-Krawler, and Rocky Road) only require(reccomend) new shocks in the *rear*. this leads me to believe the front shocks should be fine .... This is prolly why OME also offers the "OME Budget Lift" for 395$

Check and Mate :lol:

cort692 12-14-2010 11:46 AM

The Rough Country kit is holding up great... No reason why it shouldn't. And Rough Country has some of the best customer service, I have ever dealt with. My friend and I were installing one of their 4" kits on one of his WJ's and they were great to deal with!

My ride is just like it was when stock... I can't really tell that much of a difference but I'm not really looking for it either!

With the Rocky Road spacers, I'm pretty sure you don't have to get new shocks in the rear. In my opinion, I would keep your OEM shocks as long as possible, they're pretty good quality!

hella_wk 12-14-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cort692 (Post 317523)
The Rough Country kit is holding up great... No reason why it shouldn't. And Rough Country has some of the best customer service, I have ever dealt with. My friend and I were installing one of their 4" kits on one of his WJ's and they were great to deal with!

My ride is just like it was when stock... I can't really tell that much of a difference but I'm not really looking for it either!

With the Rocky Road spacers, I'm pretty sure you don't have to get new shocks in the rear. In my opinion, I would keep your OEM shocks as long as possible, they're pretty good quality!

That's good to hear! Maybe I'll consider this lift.
But yeah like I said you don't need new shocks, but it is very recomemded because the extra 2 inches in the back fully extends your rear shocks and they won't last long like that(but will work). This is why they "recommend" new 2" longer shocks in the rear for both the rk and rr lift. The fronts are fine because the puck sits on top of the strut And doesn't extend it. Just adds to the length.... In the case of the rear, the spring and shock are separate unlike a strut(which is in the front)