Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Cruise Control On Switch Operation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/cruise-control-on-switch-operation-14898.html)

tibbs14 11-08-2010 10:56 AM

Cruise Control On Switch Operation

I am interested in a JGC. I have a question on how the cruise control works. When you turn cruise control on, which means the set speed function is now available, does it remain on even when you turn off the vehicle? The reason I ask is that on my current car the most annoying thing is that everytime I turn on the car the cruise control reverts to off. The button is on the dash, so I have to hit a button then use the controls on my steering wheel after everytime turn on the car. Hope what I was trying to ask made sense. Thanks.

GlowingGhoul 11-08-2010 11:00 AM

Re: Cruise Control On Switch Operation

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibbs14 (Post 297840)
I am interested in a JGC. I have a question on how the cruise control works. When you turn cruise control on, which means the set speed function is now available, does it remain on even when you turn off the vehicle? The reason I ask is that on my current car the most annoying thing is that everytime I turn on the car the cruise control reverts to off. The button is on the dash, so I have to hit a button then use the controls on my steering wheel after everytime turn on the car. Hope what I was trying to ask made sense. Thanks.

It is my understanding that every car made in the last decade turns off cruise control when the car is turned off.

It's a safety issue to prevent a malfunctioning cruise control from causing unintended acceleration.

MeanDean 11-08-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 297843)
It is my understanding that every car made in the last decade turns off cruise control when the car is turned off.

It's a safety issue to prevent a malfunctioning cruise control from causing unintended acceleration.

^^What he said.

But honestly, how hard is it to press the button anyway? The On/Off button is located about 2cm away from the SET button on the steering wheel.

bpmcgee 11-08-2010 11:26 AM

I think what he means is that his current car has an "on/off" switch separate from his "cc enable" switch, and that on/off switch has to be activated each time. So that to use the CC, he has to press the power button, and THEN press the "cruise set" button.

It's standard for the cruise control to not be enabled (ie not try to maintain speed), but it's uncommon these days to have a separate "on/off" switch. Most cars, you just have to press "cruise set" each time.

mandm1 11-08-2010 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
tibbs14,

Not sure what make of vehicle you currently own, but I understand what you are saying. I owned a Nissan a long time ago with the cruise button on the dash, and it was annoying to reach that far to turn on the cruise function.

With the Grand Cherokee, you still need to turn on the cruise each time the ignition is cycled, but the button is right on the steering wheel and easy to access.

Mike

tibbs14 11-08-2010 12:12 PM

Thanks these posts answered my question. Since the button is right there it will be a quick motion to set it to on then set the speed. The problem with having it on the dash mashed with other buttons is that 90% of the time I have to look down to make sure my finger is on the right button which means I have one hand off the wheel and not looking at the road.

DavidESchiller 11-08-2010 12:36 PM

my mother's 2005 Acura MDX has a cruise control on/off button on the dash that remains on when the vehicle is turned off and restarted. I honestly don't think it's ever been off once since she has owned it. the rest of the buttons for it are on the wheel. so it's not impossible but I don't think many brands do it.