Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Check your lug nuts! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/check-your-lug-nuts-14907.html)

JoeSchmoe007 11-08-2010 02:36 PM

Check your lug nuts!
 
When visiting Mario I asked him to install wheel locks and he noticed lug nuts weren't torqued enough. He also checked the rest of them and they all needed to be torqued.

MeanDean 11-08-2010 03:25 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
Good catch. Anyone know the correct specs? I'm guessing 90-110 lb/ft, but would like to know for sure.

DaveJKJ 11-08-2010 03:29 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeanDean (Post 297986)
Good catch. Anyone know the correct specs? I'm guessing 90-110 lb/ft, but would like to know for sure.

I always thought it was 90-110 also.

Nothing worse than loose nuts.....haha

DJ BoNiOmArIo 11-08-2010 04:36 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
i always tigthen them hoes till they don't move lol

vnbWK2 11-08-2010 06:07 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
110 here.

nek121328 11-08-2010 06:47 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
What are the correct torque specs and nut size?

mandm1 11-08-2010 06:53 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nek121328 (Post 298146)
What are the correct torque specs and nut size?

According to the printed owner's manual (page 475): 95 ft lbs (130 Nm). The nut size is 7/8".

Mike

JoeSchmoe007 11-08-2010 07:29 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandm1 (Post 298151)
According to the printed owner's manual (page 475): 95 ft lbs (130 Nm). The nut size is 7/8".

Mike

Then who can explain this to me: I have a set of wheel locks (correct part # for WK2) and on the packaging it says 115 ft lbs- seems like a lot of difference from 95. I doubt that locks have to be tightened to a different torque than the rest of the nuts.

nek121328 11-08-2010 07:30 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
Thanks!

soontobesrt 11-08-2010 10:31 PM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
dont over torque guys or youll regret anytime you need to change a spare or something. Also make sure your wheel bearings are i spec too as you dont want to be swappign those babys out, just had to do that :rolleyes:

vnbWK2 11-09-2010 05:50 AM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by soontobesrt (Post 298301)
dont over torque guys or youll regret anytime you need to change a spare or something. Also make sure your wheel bearings are i spec too as you dont want to be swappign those babys out, just had to do that :rolleyes:

Wheel bearings are in spec?

mandm1 11-09-2010 09:49 AM

Re: Check your lug nuts!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 298171)
Then who can explain this to me: I have a set of wheel locks (correct part # for WK2) and on the packaging it says 115 ft lbs- seems like a lot of difference from 95. I doubt that locks have to be tightened to a different torque than the rest of the nuts.

I would trust the specs in the owner's manual more than what is printed on the wheel lock packaging. If you want further confirmation, check with your dealer or order a service manual.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community