Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Spare needs air, but do I have to drop it to do it?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/spare-needs-air-but-do-i-have-to-drop-it-to-do-it-14941.html)

HemiDawg 11-09-2010 10:16 AM

Spare needs air, but do I have to drop it to do it??

Had our first cold snap in the ATL since owning the GC - get in it last Saturday and all tires are reading low, even after running them for a few hours. Fill them back up to spec, but then notice the spare is showing low too. I look up under the back of the Jeep and the way the spare is mounted the valve stem is not accessible without dropping the tire down. First off, is this the way it should be mounted and if so, is dropping it down the only way to access it??

jes_96 11-09-2010 10:35 AM

Re: Spare needs air, but do I have to drop it to do it??

For what it's worth, my 06 (bought used) had the spare mounted with the valve pointing towards the ground. Easy to access, just reached under and pumped a few couple cubic feet of air in there.

jeepgcoman 11-09-2010 12:08 PM

Mine WAS like jes 96's when I bought it. I changed it so the good side of the wheel (and stem) was up to protect the wheel finish. I can still access the stem with a truck syle air chuck, but even if I couldn't, it's no biggie to drop it down once in awhile to check/service the tire. Now, if it were an earlier Jeep w/o the cable/crank spare setup, that would be a different story. Just my opinion.

06HemiLtd 11-09-2010 03:47 PM

you want to keep the face of the wheel going up to protect it. i live in ohio and usually once a year i have to lower it and add air. it's not something you'll be doing all of the time. you don't have to lower it all the way either.

Chaoul1 11-09-2010 06:53 PM

LOL. Mine said the same. I added more air. I guess the TPMS is bad :(. It still shows "Low Spare Pressure"

Marlin 11-09-2010 08:10 PM

My spare wheel is face up, therefore I need to drop it to top off the air.

Usually done whilst Jeep is in for service.

White Chocolate 11-09-2010 08:58 PM

Yes I just did mine, you need to drop it a bit, not all the way

5.7Unlimited 11-09-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 298480)
Had our first cold snap in the ATL since owning the GC - get in it last Saturday and all tires are reading low, even after running them for a few hours. Fill them back up to spec, but then notice the spare is showing low too. I look up under the back of the Jeep and the way the spare is mounted the valve stem is not accessible without dropping the tire down. First off, is this the way it should be mounted and if so, is dropping it down the only way to access it??

The Answer is NO, you don't have to drop it. At least I don't have to when mine gets low (which has only happend to me twice)

you just have to get under there and reach up.

White Chocolate 11-09-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7Unlimited (Post 298875)
The Answer is NO, you don't have to drop it. At least I don't have to when mine gets low (which has only happend to me twice)

you just have to get under there and reach up.

Which way is your valve stem facing

5.7Unlimited 11-10-2010 12:21 AM

The face (chrome side) of the wheel is facing up, therefore the stem is also facing up, it's honestly not that difficult to get at. my little air pump has a threaded end on it so I just screw it on the stem, turn it on and watch the guage.