Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Noise while moving (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/noise-while-moving-14989.html)

lyndelw 11-10-2010 10:27 AM

Noise while moving

At 200 miles on my Overland 4x4 started making a sound from the front area like tire noise. I passed it off as tire noise because on concrete surface it was louder. After 300 more miles of driving it got worse.Took it to dealer,they test drove it for awhile and heard the noise loud and clear.Thought it might be a bad tire,but would contact Jeep hot line and see what they have to say. When I got back home I jacked up front wheels and spun by hand, left side normal sound. Right side I could hear an abnormal sound. Called dealer this morning told them I thought it was a wheel bearing. Let you all know when it's fixed.

GlowingGhoul 11-10-2010 12:01 PM

Re: Noise while moving

PLease keep us updated.

nek121328 11-10-2010 03:04 PM

Depending on the noise a hub assembly would be correct. Can happen if it was over torqued.

mandm1 11-14-2010 05:48 PM

lyndelw,

Not to sidetrack your thread, but I'm wondering if you have a similar issue to the one I'm having ...

Do you hear this sound at highway speeds? My Overland Hemi w/QL makes a sound above 50 mph that faintly sounds like a tire is not balanced properly. Kind of an oscillating noise/feel through the floorboards at around 5-10 times/second at 60 mph. Don't notice as much if radio is at medium volume or louder.

I've had it to the dealer twice with no luck. I've substituted the spare tire on all 4 corners, and even had the wheels/tires balanced with a Hunter GSP9700 Roadforce balancer. No improvement, though.

I'm inclined to think maybe a wheel bearing or out-of-balance driveshaft (front or rear). Dealer wants to try replacing the front differential isolator mentioned in a few other threads, but I don't know if that will do any good.

Anyone else happen to notice this problem?

lyndelw 11-14-2010 07:55 PM

mandm1, you seem to have some different symptoms than mine. I can hear my noise moving at idle speed all the way up to 80 mph. Concrete or rough road surface will increase the sound by 50%. I moved my tires front to rear today, still the same. Dealer ordered front hub assy,but I now have second thouhts about that being the problem. I'm going to suggest the isolater bushing be changed.

GlowingGhoul 11-15-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandm1 (Post 301168)
lyndelw,

Not to sidetrack your thread, but I'm wondering if you have a similar issue to the one I'm having ...

Do you hear this sound at highway speeds? My Overland Hemi w/QL makes a sound above 50 mph that faintly sounds like a tire is not balanced properly. Kind of an oscillating noise/feel through the floorboards at around 5-10 times/second at 60 mph. Don't notice as much if radio is at medium volume or louder.

I've had it to the dealer twice with no luck. I've substituted the spare tire on all 4 corners, and even had the wheels/tires balanced with a Hunter GSP9700 Roadforce balancer. No improvement, though.

I'm inclined to think maybe a wheel bearing or out-of-balance driveshaft (front or rear). Dealer wants to try replacing the front differential isolator mentioned in a few other threads, but I don't know if that will do any good.

Anyone else happen to notice this problem?

How's your tire pressure?

mandm1 11-15-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul (Post 301468)
How's your tire pressure?

Just fine ... checked and re-checked!

lyndelw 11-19-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndelw (Post 299028)
At 200 miles on my Overland 4x4 started making a sound from the front area like tire noise. I passed it off as tire noise because on concrete surface it was louder. After 300 more miles of driving it got worse.Took it to dealer,they test drove it for awhile and heard the noise loud and clear.Thought it might be a bad tire,but would contact Jeep hot line and see what they have to say. When I got back home I jacked up front wheels and spun by hand, left side normal sound. Right side I could hear an abnormal sound. Called dealer this morning told them I thought it was a wheel bearing. Let you all know when it's fixed.

I have a little bit of info on my road noise.Dealer has had my jeep all week tring to find the cause of noise. He took the wheels off a new jeep w/18" micheiln tires and road tested,said noise was not there. I have 20" GY. At this time waiting on call from Chyrsler to see what they suggest.